Is this the best Iowa can do?

The NCAA tournament is what you build everything for. Only way you can win the National Championship.....or at the very least give a long run to build exposure and excitement for your program.

Or you can be burnt toast over and over.

lol no bro... not a fact

Fran arrived in 2010-2011....

Uni won ncaa tournament game the season before 2009-2010....

Fran McCaffery - Wikipedia

Ben Jacobson - Wikipedia
If Mcfran has the edge over jacobsen by half a year & it makes you feel better about the state of basketball under his leadership then you have a party. After that’s over, compare the budget for both programs and then reality will hit you. Even isu and their rinse and repeat meltdown today & they still have more ncaa tournament wins including the half year uni advantage. But you completely missed the point of the post

If Mcfran has the edge over jacobsen by half a year & it makes you feel better about the state of basketball under his leadership then you have a party. After that’s over, compare the budget for both programs and then reality will hit you. Even isu and their rinse and repeat meltdown today & they still have more ncaa tournament wins including the half year uni advantage. But you completely missed the point of the post
oh jfc... you really cant just admit you posted the wrong shit?

You were talking about FRANS TENURE... thats what you posted. And you posted false stuff to make it look like Uni had a close to equal ncaa resume to us since Fran has been here.. and that's straight bullshit. I never said I was satisfied with how things have been going under Fran either.

I did not miss any point lol.

Way to be a stand-up individual and admit a mistake

Last edited:
some very thorough informaiton here

Fran has made the second round 4 times

Last season I really thought we had a shot at the Sweet Sixteen and perhaps farther

The loss to the Spiders was a low point for the Hawks, no way that should have happened

Really didn't think we had a chance in Birmingham

Things are not as bad as some believe

Parity has infested men's basketball, doesn't seem there are a lot of pushovers these days

Fran can do better, just needs to be coaching a talented team.
Kirk can do better too, if he was coaching 4/5*s.
Problem is, neither coach can recruut that kind of talent consistently.

Last edited:
I wonder if NILs will make this (parity) more so in college basketball than football. Much easier to give it to 3-4 hs superstars than 30 for smaller schools.

The portal helped this year's team because if we didn't have Rebraca we would have lost by 25 on Thursday instead of keeping it respectable. Although, on the other hand we did lose Nunge, so maybe it hurt us.

Fair or unfair what you do in the tournament matters. Matt Painter is arguably the best coach in the B1G and people always mention his lack of success in the tournament. You may not put stock in wins and losses in the tournament, but many more people do.
I agree with this. Along with that, I just read that in the last 3 years, Purdue has lost to a 13, 15, and 16 seed. Can you imagine this board if that was Iowa? The only person that would enjoy that is Brian Ferentz.

Also, Iowa was 2-6 against the bottom against the bottom 4 teams in the conference. 6-2 and we win the conference (I know, ifs and buts). That's worse to me than the tournament loss because really, we most likely lose to Houston anyway. With a 6-2 record in those games, we would also have finished 1st, 3rd, and 4th in the last 3 years, identical to Purdue.

I do have a question. When Fran got here, one of his things was to recruit players with length that can shoot. It seems that he still does this. What good is it to have players with length? I was thinking it should help their defense, so I looked online to see if I could find anything.

In a study done by UCLA by Bruin Sports Analytics, they wanted to find the relationship between wingspan and defense and shooting success. From the abstract:

Basketball Players' Long Wingspan Enhances Defensive Upside​

The objective of this study is to examine the relationship between an NBA player's wingspan and their ability to shoot the basketball and perform defensively. Using regression analysis methodologies, the results of this study suggest that NBA players with a longer wingspan are able to perform better defensively.

Another study was done by a biological anthropologist at Cal Berkeley, who is now at the University of Zurich, who found the following, among other things:

And if you’re longer and you’re able to defend multiple positions, you’re more likely to be successful.

I do have a question. When Fran got here, one of his things was to recruit players with length that can shoot. It seems that he still does this. What good is it to have players with length? I was thinking it should help their defense, so I looked online to see if I could find anything.

In a study done by UCLA by Bruin Sports Analytics, they wanted to find the relationship between wingspan and defense and shooting success. From the abstract:

Basketball Players' Long Wingspan Enhances Defensive Upside​

The objective of this study is to examine the relationship between an NBA player's wingspan and their ability to shoot the basketball and perform defensively. Using regression analysis methodologies, the results of this study suggest that NBA players with a longer wingspan are able to perform better defensively.

Another study was done by a biological anthropologist at Cal Berkeley, who is now at the University of Zurich, who found the following, among other things:

And if you’re longer and you’re able to defend multiple positions, you’re more likely to be successful.

You still have to have a system that tries to defend. Fran is Grinnell lite.

Fran has made the second round 4 times

Last season I really thought we had a shot at the Sweet Sixteen and perhaps farther

The loss to the Spiders was a low point for the Hawks, no way that should have happened

Really didn't think we had a chance in Birmingham

Things are not as bad as some believe

Parity has infested men's basketball, doesn't seem there are a lot of pushovers these days

Shouldn’t the parity coin land on our side at some point under this rationale?

Fran can do better, just needs to be coaching a talented team.
Kirk can do better too, if he was coaching 4/5*s.
Problem is, neither coach can recruut that kind of talent consistently.
This is really the issue. It isn't that Fran can't coach, etc. We didn't have the athletic players that would allow us to defend better. Hopefully some of the signees coming in can help that. But I think it's going to be an factor at a school like Iowa for more often than not.

And have wheels to move forward, backward, and side to side.

And even Grinnell does it better despite giving up a lot of points.....their system is specifically designed to either get a steal or give up a basket in exchange for a 3 pointer on the other end.

With Fran's defense, it is like throwing shit at the wall and seeing if it sticks....or more kindly praying the other team misses and you get a rebound for transition score on the other end.

I completely agree and it was part of my point. In theory, we should have what it takes to defend, but what's missing? Coaching? The system? Quickness? I wasn't necessarily trying to rip on Fran, but he is the common denominator through the years.

Bluder and the LadyHawks played terrible defense in the past but looks like they made a commitment to playing the best D they could, now they actually play passable defense. Not great but better. When the hell will Fran come to the same realization? Bad D=s Early Exits. Good shooting is inconsistent, good D is always in your bag. He’s so proud of his team playing multiple defenses, but they play them all poorly. Watching Keegan in the NBA a lot. Guess what? He’s defense was terrible when the year began, getting called out by his coach. Now he closes out on every shooter he guards even if he knows he’s too late. He is putting in the effort because his coach INSISTS on it. Fran could learn a lesson from a professional coach.

Latest posts