U of I parts with swarm collective

swarm Go it alone, support the athletes as you wish. The U can’t be involved anyway. Likely legal guidance that leaves the U saying this

Does the U of I want to win in their major sports?! Jeez Luiz.

Equality man, says it right on the back of Iowa’s BB uniforms. Until collective payouts are equal, the U of I won’t play ball. Bye, bye competitive football, bye bye competitive basketball. Athletic department is scared of more lawsuits. Society is very litigious these days.

Last edited:
I understand the Swarm's perspective and why they want the info they do from the Athletic Dept.: it would make their job easier. But the UI's position is also legit: we can't be involved in anything that disproportionately favors men due to the law. And if it's the Swarm's perspective that handing over personal contact info of their season ticket holders and donors to the Swarm is 'not the UI being involved', they're living in fantasyland.

I understand the Swarm's perspective and why they want the info they do from the Athletic Dept.: it would make their job easier. But the UI's position is also legit: we can't be involved in anything that disproportionately favors men due to the law. And if it's the Swarm's perspective that handing over personal contact info of their season ticket holders and donors to the Swarm is 'not the UI being involved', they're living in fantasyland.
Apparently it isn’t an issue at Ohio State. Gene Smith just sent a letter to all season ticket holders asking them to contribute to Ohio State’s collectives. Why is he doing it and Barta cannot?

Apparently it isn’t an issue at Ohio State. Gene Smith just sent a letter to all season ticket holders asking them to contribute to Ohio State’s collectives. Why is he doing it and Barta cannot?
Barta can.

He won’t. And he’s apparently got the backing of the president and BOR.

I’ve never been doomsday about the Iowa football program, but if this is true (and continues) it will be the death it.

I think it’s pretty obvious that Iowa’s athletic department will have to change course once it realizes the mistake here, but the question is how much damage it’ll do before that point. Just one more public gaffe.

I’ve never been doomsday about the Iowa football program, but if this is true (and continues) it will be the death it.

I think it’s pretty obvious that Iowa’s athletic department will have to change course once it realizes the mistake here, but the question is how much damage it’ll do before that point. Just one more public gaffe.
Agree with this. NIL is not sustainable in its current form because the actual application of it varies from school to school.

I think NIL has a lot of pitfalls...especially for the little guy...but this is the here and now....Barta needs to embrace it and not put his programs further behind the eight ball. The collective needs as much money as it can get and spend it where the needs are the greatest.

False. The Swarm is outside and separate from the U. It’s not beholden to Title IX.
I understand that, obviously. You misunderstood what I was saying, which was that the UI has to be cautious in practical terms about 'supporting' any institution that isn't beholden to Title IX. If the UI is seen as directly helping the Swarm, you can bet a lawsuit will be immediate -- partly for legitimate legal reasons but also to put pressure on the Swarm to be more gender balanced in how they distribute the goods. Barta doesn't want another lawsuit, and people on this board would be bitching about it if it occurred.
Granted, the UI's legal interpretation is a conservative one, and other legal interpretations could be different.
I'm glad to see that the Swarm director continues to have confidence that he can build a strong NIL program, even without direct help from the UI.

NCAA Football hasn't been long-term sustainable for quite some time.
I think NIL has a lot of pitfalls...especially for the little guy...but this is the here and now....Barta needs to embrace it and not put his programs further behind the eight ball. The collective needs as much money as it can get and spend it where the needs are the greatest.
For certain. Iowa is not a "little guy".

Latest posts