Who of you attended the 2014 game in College Park MD?

NCHawker

What was your experience?

I drove up to DC to attend the game. The stadium was small and it wasn't very close to full. A good turnout by Iowa Fans. I got my tickets through my cousin via the DC I-Club. There was some semblance of tailgating in the lot. My wife and I walked through, nobody said hello or invited us to join them...they just sort of looked at us. I found the people to be generally lacking in warmth and disagreeable

We had good reason to think they would win this game. It started out good. Then Iowa could not solve the read option. Everyone's hero Drew Ott, repeatedly lost contain. After Iowa fell behind, Iowa just threw the ball on every down. Beathard sat on the bench. I wondered if he could have brought a spark.

We went to Joe's crab shack, and Hlas, Dochterman and Morehouse came in and sat next to us at the bar. I chatted a bit with Hlas. That was one of very few highlights of the dday.

Traffic in DC is insane. It was a nice October day though.

1632764256497.png

Company I work for is based in DC and I have heard from numerous co-workers that they are going to the game. Between the blackout and the fact it is their homecoming (granted it doesn't mean much in college IMO), it could be a tough spot. But Maryland usually plays great in the non-conference, and as soon as they play a team with a pulse on defense they shell up (pun intended). Might be different under this coaching staff but they need to prove that first.

It looks like a really dull environment on TV. Playing basketball @ Maryland is the stuff of nightmares, but their football environment looks like a funeral.

I believe you can take the metro to near the stadium and that is probably the way to get there. The campus is not in a good neighborhood but probably close enough to campus to work well with the football crowd.

Defensively, injuries are piling up. Two starters — linebacker Fa’Najae Gotay and cornerback Deonte Banks — are out indefinitely with injuries that required surgery. Starting linebacker Ruben Hyppolite II and freshman linebacker Branden Jennings, who had been filling in for Gotay, left the Kent State game with injuries, and Locksley provided no update afterward. Those absences could become a serious concern as Maryland dives into its Big Ten slate.

I was there in 2014. Went with the travel agency out of IC. Trip to game from hotel was charter bus.
The game sucked. The memory that sticks with me is when security at the gate checked my binoculars to be sure they were not a hidden flask.

I was there in 2014. Went with the travel agency out of IC. Trip to game from hotel was charter bus.
The game sucked. The memory that sticks with me is when security at the gate checked my binoculars to be sure they were not a hidden flask.
So you're that guy with a pair of binoculars and those big over-the-ears radio headphones always giving people the stink eye and telling them to sit down....

I mean who the hell brings binoculars to a goddamn football game?

Unless maybe they're a hidden flask...that would actually be cool.

My first reaction was “Yes @HuckFinn, you are the sort of guy who brings binoculars to a football game.” Second was the sort who books away games with an IC travel agency, but I don’t know, that might be fun to try when I’m 70, if there’s still college football.

So you're that guy with a pair of binoculars and those big over-the-ears radio headphones always giving people the stink eye and telling them to sit down....

uhhhh, you must not have noticed me sitting in the section next to you then....lol

I do wear a pair of binoculars but it's not to watch the game with. Once in a while I lose track of where my son is on the field during the pre game and halftime shows, and sometimes I like to spy on him in the stands.

I was in Massachusetts for that game watching In a bar. Always remember that game as the offense was rolling but it’s the worst defensive effort I’ve ever seen from Iowa until the Stanford game.

My first reaction was “Yes @HuckFinn, you are the sort of guy who brings binoculars to a football game.” Second was the sort who books away games with an IC travel agency, but I don’t know, that might be fun to try when I’m 70, if there’s still college football.
BF…You may want to try binocs..
Might help you with game analysis
Just to clarify, I have been in every BT football stadium, some of them multiple times. You? I have only traveled twice with an agency. Once to Maryland and once to Rutgers. Avoids hassle. I always drive to Nebbie, ISU, Michigan, Ohio St., PSU, MSU, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, and my friend gives me 4 tickets to Camp Randall on the 35 yard line when my Hawks visit Madison. I live 90 minutes away. And, I take the Metra to NW and get dropped off 2 blocks from the stadium, along with a couple of hundred Iowa fans and some adult beverages. Post game a great little bar is the gathering place for IA and NW fans. Plenty of time to sober up on the Metra on the way back to WI.
That is just a small picture of my retirement adventures. Poor old Fry, who I have on ignore, thinks I am old and poor and behind the times on the tech world. Ha Ha Ha. How little he knows! But, shit, that never stops his diarrhea of the mouth and his superior and condescending attitude toward others. He is just plain sad. After many years on the planet, I have had to endure far too many like him. Now, I choose to ignore…

I lived in the DC area for 3 years. The College Park Metro stop is on the green line. Driving sucks in the area. The Metro however is fantastic.

I've never seen a college game at Maryland Stadium but went to a high school playoff game there. Nothing fantastic. Nothing bad. Holds a tad over 50K.

BF…You may want to try binocs..
Might help you with game analysis
Just to clarify, I have been in every BT football stadium, some of them multiple times. You? I have only traveled twice with an agency. Once to Maryland and once to Rutgers. Avoids hassle. I always drive to Nebbie, ISU, Michigan, Ohio St., PSU, MSU, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, and my friend gives me 4 tickets to Camp Randall on the 35 yard line when my Hawks visit Madison. I live 90 minutes away. And, I take the Metra to NW and get dropped off 2 blocks from the stadium, along with a couple of hundred Iowa fans and some adult beverages. Post game a great little bar is the gathering place for IA and NW fans. Plenty of time to sober up on the Metra on the way back to WI.
That is just a small picture of my retirement adventures. Poor old Fry, who I have on ignore, thinks I am old and poor and behind the times on the tech world. Ha Ha Ha. How little he knows! But, shit, that never stops his diarrhea of the mouth and his superior and condescending attitude toward others. He is just plain sad. After many years on the planet, I have had to endure far too many like him. Now, I choose to ignore…

uhhhh, you must not have noticed me sitting in the section next to you then....lol

I do wear a pair of binoculars but it's not to watch the game with. Once in a while I lose track of where my son is on the field during the pre game and halftime shows, and sometimes I like to spy on him in the stands.
Be honest. You’re just searching out hot cheerleaders. :)

That game is so memorable as they were SUPER physical. They brought the wood that day. They definitely out-Iowa'd us that day. This is my PTSD game. They punched us right in the mouth.

Latest posts