8 Players Sue for $20 Million

The group of players that had disturbing stories to tell had my sympathy, most of them still do, but then this group had to go out and sue for $20 million and revealed that it was all about the money. The motivations are not about change, it's about getting a payday.

Hey Wadley, how about you go out and get a job like the rest of us do?

Akrum picked the wrong agent. Akrum limited his activities in Pro Day, Akrum was small and not very fast for NFL standards. These things are objective and they hurt him. Now he's taken the advice of people who are opportunists. He seemed likable but now I think he's desperate.

No accident with the timing of it... So what I find telling about it is I don't see DJKs name amongst them... The single largest voice amongst em pretty much if you asked me. Yet he isn't neck deep with his name being apart of this? That has to make some folks stop and say hmmm. And what about that Mr Green character. I wonder what his 'finders fee' cut will be.

Wadley and KMM it sounds like are slimy used car salesman opportunists. Many Hawkeye fans have given them $ for all kinds of signed stuff and they've ghosted em. So needless to say they aren't exactly strait arrows.

Of the names on that list Wadley is the only one that had a sniff of a cup of coffee with the NFL. This feels like it's all about the benjamins to me. If they wanted to have a sniff of credibility they needed to get a guy like Bob Sanders, Desmond King. Josh Jackson, Ojmudia guys like that.

I also wonder what the first number they kicked around was. 50? 40? I mean 20 million is insane. They all want to try and get close to a million a piece. This is their lottery ticket.

It'll be interesting to see how the school proceeds. They told em no publicly already but that doesn't mean they aren't going to negotiate it down and settle. Hell they probably already have had talks/negotiations prior to this.

You miss the point. KF screwed up big time. They have the right. Money causes change. KF didn't change until it became about money. He denied it v at first. Blame KF. Be upset at KF. No one else. No one. The court proceeding will decide what is public, not the U paying money for their own narrative.

Maybe you missed my point. This is all about a money grab from some players that don't want to work and think they can get an easy payday. If this had anything to do about change, there would be no lawsuit as there already has been change. Changes started to happen once several former Hawkeyes went public. You may not be happy or satisfied with the level of changes, but I hardly believe this lawsuit is about anything more than money.

This isn't about racism, just money. Time to fight back against this garbage. Sounds to me like some mistakes were made in the Hawkeye football program.. Doesn't sound like anyone or any group was harmed to the tune of $20million and everyone knows it, including the plaintiffs.

Maybe I should go back and sue my high school basketball coaches who called all of us gay slurs on numerous occasions when we weren't playing well. It was just so traumatic. I need $2 million.

It's definitely a money grab, but:

a) Doyle walked away with $1.1 million despite being at the center of virtually all complaints against the program
b) Kirk oversaw the issues, by his own words did not take them seriously enough, and continues to rake in millions per year.

I'm not saying the damages claimed in their statement seem in any way proportional to their experiences (it seems highly unlikely they would be compensated for "lost wages"), but if you are a disgruntled player, you are Black, and you see your former White coaches continuing to make millions of dollars per year despite a report which validates your claims of racism in the program ... then yeah, you gonna try to get yours.

Just talking in terms of the impact on the football program's on-the-field success: I think it is safe to say it will prove to be a giant distraction to the coaching staff and will forestall any recruiting efforts outside of Iowa and neighboring states. Recruiting (classes 2022 and beyond, unless more decommits come in 2021) was already set for trouble due to COVID restrictions on hosting visits.

Maybe I should go back and sue my high school basketball coaches who called all of us gay slurs on numerous occasions when we weren't playing well. It was just so traumatic. I need $2 million.
So you are saying that you weren't 'Happy'?

Well we know that Barta isn't afraid to lose a lawsuit. And honestly there's no telling how a jury will look at this. Iowa City is Liberalville USA and those folks are often sympathetic to all that is BLM so.... If Iowa could settle this that'd be ideal (something like this was always going to happen just a matter of when) So far school has said no to 20 million so let the negotiating begin...

Maybe you missed my point. This is all about a money grab from some players that don't want to work and think they can get an easy payday. If this had anything to do about change, there would be no lawsuit as there already has been change. Changes started to happen once several former Hawkeyes went public. You may not be happy or satisfied with the level of changes, but I hardly believe this lawsuit is about anything more than money.

Life is a money grab. The changes were done because of money. Blame the guy who us responsible who pays his son now almost 1 mil per year w his pay increase just after all this came out.

So you are saying that you weren't 'Happy'?

Well we know that Barta isn't afraid to lose a lawsuit. And honestly there's no telling how a jury will look at this. Iowa City is Liberalville USA and those folks are often sympathetic to all that is BLM so.... If Iowa could settle this that'd be ideal (something like this was always going to happen just a matter of when) So far school has said no to 20 million so let the negotiating begin...

You should be sympathetic to some of what blm is. Are you racist?

As a guy who is generally conservative I can say you wouldn't want to live in a US without libs.

Guess I'll go sue the United States Marine Corp. I signed a contract to join them willingly, had to wear a belt, regulation haircut, clean shaven, no beard, no jewelry and had to uphold and live within the uniformed code of military justice.....oh wait....I guess they had standards and rules of discipline and I, again I choose to be part of that culture! And those rules and regulations are what makes the Marine Corps a great team and fierce fighting force and my individualism came second to those...so besides a set of rules and culture outside of the condition coach that was fired did K.F. really impose!

Last edited:
I blame it on my HS coach I never got a scholly offer for the DL or OL (played DE and RG)... never mind the fact that I'm 5'7", weighed (at that time) 150 #'s and couldn't run a 4.75 40...

[QUOTE="HawkGold, post: 1970416, member: 81486"]You should be sympathetic to some of what blm is. Are you racist?

As a guy who is generally conservative I can say you wouldn't want to live in a US without libs.[/QUOTE]

Serious? Me pointing out that Iowa City is very liberal and sympathetic towards BLM in regards to this lawsuit and a jury being selected makes you want to ask someone that? I'm just pointing out the obvious. Do you dispute that Iowa City is largely liberal? How that makes you wonder if I'm racist enough to directly ask me is a pretty out there kinda thing to do and I surely shouldn't even be dignifying it with a response but I'll let you think what you want

Completely predictable.

I see two things here:

1. Disgruntled players that see an opportunity to "stick it" to the Iowa program and gain a lot of money doing so, and,

2. A program that may have to continue to learn the harsh lesson about the importance of listening and responding to its players. Are the potential ramifications disproportional to what occurred? Probably, but that's a harsh lesson that the coaches have brought upon themselves. Racial and social awareness, and the need to be cognizant of what you say or do, should be a prerequisite for a coaching staff, not something that is later learned through a harsh consequence.

[QUOTE="HawkGold, post: 1970416, member: 81486"]You should be sympathetic to some of what blm is. Are you racist?

As a guy who is generally conservative I can say you wouldn't want to live in a US without libs.

Serious? Me pointing out that Iowa City is very liberal and sympathetic towards BLM in regards to this lawsuit and a jury being selected makes you want to ask someone that? I'm just pointing out the obvious. Do you dispute that Iowa City is largely liberal? How that makes you wonder if I'm racist enough to directly ask me is a pretty out there kinda thing to do and I surely shouldn't even be dignifying it with a response but I'll let you think what you want[/QUOTE]

BLM has 2 meanings. You seemed to use the broad meaning rather than a specific organization. One I can understand. The general one can only be interpreted on way and its not pretty.

Serious? Me pointing out that Iowa City is very liberal and sympathetic towards BLM in regards to this lawsuit and a jury being selected makes you want to ask someone that? I'm just pointing out the obvious. Do you dispute that Iowa City is largely liberal? How that makes you wonder if I'm racist enough to directly ask me is a pretty out there kinda thing to do and I surely shouldn't even be dignifying it with a response but I'll let you think what you want

BLM has 2 meanings. You seemed to use the broad meaning rather than a specific organization. One I can understand. The general one can only be interpreted on way and its not pretty.[/QUOTE]

I was saying what I was without giving my 2 cents on it. A jury of folks made up of folks from Iowa City would be mostly liberal and sympathetic towards BLM. Which last time I checked all 8 of those former players are black and that's what this whole suit is about. So you see the relevance of what I'm saying right? This sort of thing going to trial could end negatively for the school just as easily as it could the other way. I wouldn't want to bet on it. I do think that this is just the public begining of the negotiations. I think they'll continue those (I assume they started this prior to yesterday). I would think a lesser settlement is what both sides would eventually want. I don't think the school wants this to drag on into court with the coaches and AD having to be apart of all that. But who knows. We'll see who blinks first.

I think some of you guys having the idea that this is a long shot lawsuit need to step back and realize that we see this thing through Iowa glasses. The rest of the country (which includes juries and judges) don't have any sentimental connection to Iowa athletics and they don't give two shits if a handful of internet dudes think the program is bulletproof.

Pretty easy for us to kick our feet up and say, "This thing doesn't have a chance in hell."

Jury selection is going to make damn sure there are people on the squad who haven't even heard the name Gary Barta let alone can tell you what he does for a living. Jury members aren't going to know who Brian is and they damn sure won't have an opinion of him as a hard-nosed but fair football coach who was taken out of context. They're going to see a dickhead football coach who stifled black players' shot at the NFL and made off color comments insinuating that black players are all gang bangers who steal whatever they have.

They aren't going to see KF and GB as guys who've made changes and are doing everything they can to save the integrity of the program, they're going to see two guys who made sure a guy calling players the N-word got a couple million bucks and a year and a half of medical insurance as a parting gift to sweep everything under the rug.

Latest posts