Joe Wieskamp Announces He'll Pass on NBA Draft Process

Anyone heard rumblings of which way Garza is leaning ... or when he will announce one way or the other?

Didn’t know you could only go through the draft process twice until recently. He was just better off forgoing it this year. He knows what he needs to work on and is better off saving that final eval until after next season.

Joe was having a really nice season and then just kind of ran out of steam at the end. It was frustrating as heck at the time but when you look back and reflect on the season as a whole he’s still a very high level player.

If anything the high minute loads might not have helped and the long conference season. We should be a much deeper team next year and could probably manage these guys minutes throughout the season a little better. I’m not a fan of long rotations and I certainly want the best players to play the most minutes but it will be nice to get guys some more breathers. Having Bohannon back will take some defensive attention of Joe as well.

Joe ready for breakout year as a junior!

If he can add some muscle in the upper body and work on that first dribble to get his shoulders past his defender he could really pick it up. Defenders couldn't just run at him thinking he is going to shoot a three.

I still like it when the hawks take it to the hoop to get the other team in foul trouble as it pays huge dividends in a couple or ways later in each half.

If he can add some muscle in the upper body and work on that first dribble to get his shoulders past his defender he could really pick it up. Defenders couldn't just run at him thinking he is going to shoot a three.

I still like it when the hawks take it to the hoop to get the other team in foul trouble as it pays huge dividends in a couple or ways later in each half.
He gave up, figuratively speaking, on shooting the three towards the end of the season. That impacted his ability to get to the rim. If he regains his confidence in his outside shot, he'll be fine and a huge asset to the team next year. I think he will. He's too good not to.

He gave up, figuratively speaking, on shooting the three towards the end of the season. That impacted his ability to get to the rim. If he regains his confidence in his outside shot, he'll be fine and a huge asset to the team next year. I think he will. He's too good not to.

Do you are any of you think he lost his legs in the last 6-8 games and just couldn't get "into" his long range shot as well as usual?

Do you are any of you think he lost his legs in the last 6-8 games and just couldn't get "into" his long range shot as well as usual?
Teams have figured out how to limit his game. Press him on the perimeter. Force him to dribble left. Plus, put your best defender on him, rotate defenders. He will get frustrated.

Possibly, but I think it was more of a confidence thing. He was like Maverick in TopGun. After Goose died, he lost his mojo, and wouldn't take the shot when he had the opportunity. Joe can clear his head, and come back ready. Just like Maverick.

Possibly, but I think it was more of a confidence thing. He was like Maverick in TopGun. After Goose died, he lost his mojo, and wouldn't take the shot when he had the opportunity. Joe can clear his head, and come back ready. Just like Maverick.

Yeah but Joe's more like Ice Man.

He did look tired the last couple months of the season. With Fran having no choice with the injuries and short bench last year I think it impacted Joe W more than anyone on the team. He averaged 27.7 minutes as a freshman and jumped to 32.5 minutes last year, which was the most minutes on the team (Luka averaged 32.0). That's a lot of minutes when your not exactly the most physical guy in the B1G and getting banged around like its the whack-a-mole game at the county fair.

He played undersized and lost his legs. I’m surprised he tested the waters last year. I’m surprised he announced anything. That part of it... way overestimating his ability and impact concerns me. Where does he get his advice or where is his head. He may have been a prospect after 4 years of solid building. Maybe after his junior year in a later round...maybe. Good player, of course. There is so much talent ahead of him at that position and things he doesn’t bring to the table at his size.

He has NBA ability. He is long and can play adequate defense to play the 2 at the next level. But, he needs to get more consistent with his shot. Much more. A guy like that better hit 40% from 3 because he won't be taking it to the rack much in the League.

I see him rebounding and having a strong junior year. Less minutes, less pressure w JBO back. He will go back to being a more efficient player. Similar stats, just more efficient getting them.

Hopefully Joe just had a bit of a sophomore slump. Still had a great year just didn't meet expectations.

Hopefully Joe just had a bit of a sophomore slump. Still had a great year just didn't meet expectations.
It wasn't even a sophomore slump. It was a February slump. He played great up until then and played really bad after. It wasn't fatigue like people suggest either. He just lost his shot. He couldn't even release the ball properly. You could tell the shot was off the second it left his hand.

IMO Jok was a much much better all-round player with a deadlier shot.
And he went un-drafted and didn't make an NBA roster.

Joe needs to improve his game quite a bit in order to make an NBA roster as a draftee.

Latest posts