How will Iowa finish the conference regular season?

How will Iowa finish the conference regular season?

• Total voters
I voted 3-6. Partially because I’m a pessimist.

Think we lose at least one at home, very nervous for the Ohio State game.

We just lost to a crap Purdue team by almost 40. Nebraska dominated us when we played them the first time. How are we going to magically win this time?
Because I don't judge a team by one or two games. By that logic we should have throttled Maryland in their own barn. We did kick their ass all over Carver after all didn't we?

And because we have as many wins vs Quad 1 teams as any school in the nation. We are a top twenty team in most of the metrics.

By the way, Nebraska didn't dominate us either. We will magically beat Nebraska because we are better than Nebraska. Don't try to bring the Purdue loss into equation as some transitory argument.

You need to give this a rest. Now.

[QUOTE="STILLBUSTER, post: 1931444, member: 48418"]4-5 ... tonight is the swing game.

Not shocked if they go 6-3, beating Pud and Indy or 2-7, losing to OSU and Penn St at home.

Don't like that Joe Wies has been a little quiet from 3, for a couple weeks. Meanwhile, Luka and C-Mac are taking as many 3's as Joe and CJ. While they've been making a decent share, it's not something you want to rely on and it starts to disrupt the spacing.

Really don't like that Fran has devolved back to the scripted platoon rotations for extended minutes - especially the lineup with C-Mac, Evelyn, Pemsl, Kriener, and CJ.

That lineup is an insult to basketball.:eek: It's embarrassing on offense and defense is basically hoping the other team misses. Just knock it off, Fran! Stick to the 2 x 2 rule with Pemsl, Evelyn and Till (2 minutes max 2 times / game).[/QUOTE]

I stand by this.

[QUOTE="STILLBUSTER, post: 1931444, member: 48418"] . . . Really don't like that Fran has devolved back to the scripted platoon rotations for extended minutes - especially the lineup with C-Mac, Evelyn, Pemsl, Kriener, and CJ.

That lineup is an insult to basketball.:eek: It's embarrassing on offense and defense is basically hoping the other team misses. Just knock it off, Fran! Stick to the 2 x 2 rule with Pemsl, Evelyn and Till (2 minutes max 2 times / game).

I stand by this.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure Till was on the floor in place of CJ or Kriener at some point. Otherwise, I agree.

I'll go with 1-7. They should beat Nebraska. Frans teams have a way of going down in February and March.

I stand by my comment. I'll be shocked if Iowa beats Nebraska on Saturday. Tonight killed all optimism I had for this team. This was a completely unacceptable performance against a terrible team. No excuse for it.
You do realize Purdue waxed MSU and Wisconsin at home too, right? We're not the first team they've done this to.

Last night was a fluke and " it's basketball". Road wins are as rare as me having sex with my wife, but I don't dwell on it. Just like Fran and his team, they will flush this game, and beat Nebraska by 20.

I would have said 5-4 before last night. I’ll go with 3-6 right now. The road has not been kind to Iowa. We should win easily on Saturday. After that who knows.

personally I think anyone who went with over 4-5 hasn't been watching the B1G this season and maybe just the Iowa games? Has their been wins on the road? Yes, but currently the home teams lead this one 142-33 with the bottom 3 teams accounting for 19 of those. No team in the top 11 has lost more then twice at home. Iowa is in not an elite team this season. They just aren't. But they are pretty good. Top 25 fringe likely when all said and done. Comfortably in the dance but not without limitations.... mostly harboring for the abundance of injury that happened early in the season.

personally I think anyone who went with over 4-5 hasn't been watching the B1G this season and maybe just the Iowa games? Has their been wins on the road? Yes, but currently the home teams lead this one 142-33 with the bottom 3 teams accounting for 19 of those. No team in the top 11 has lost more then twice at home. Iowa is in not an elite team this season. They just aren't. But they are pretty good. Top 25 fringe likely when all said and done. Comfortably in the dance but not without limitations.... mostly harboring for the abundance of injury that happened early in the season.
On top of that poor defense is not a good strategy to win road games. Iowa’s best road win was Syracuse who sits at 53 in the KenPom and really hadn’t found their identity at that point. Iowa State sits at 75 and NW sits at 121.

The problem is at the end of the year these teams are desperate for wins and know they need to get them at home. I thought we’d have a fighting chance at Indiana or at Minnesota but after last night I don’t know. I’m just not sure we have enough defense to do it.

On top of that poor defense is not a good strategy to win road games. Iowa’s best road win was Syracuse who sits at 53 in the KenPom and really hadn’t found their identity at that point. Iowa State sits at 75 and NW sits at 121.

The problem is at the end of the year these teams are desperate for wins and know they need to get them at home. I thought we’d have a fighting chance at Indiana or at Minnesota but after last night I don’t know. I’m just not sure we have enough defense to do it.

Last night had a lot to do with letting the other team get comfortable because we couldn't get a rebound for the first 10 minutes. They were missing shots, but we couldn't rebound them so they got more shots that they made. Rebound those early misses and they might never gain momentum. Or maybe they were going to shoot us out of the gym no matter what.

Last night had a lot to do with letting the other team get comfortable because we couldn't get a rebound for the first 10 minutes. They were missing shots, but we couldn't rebound them so they got more shots that they made. Rebound those early misses and they might never gain momentum. Or maybe they were going to shoot us out of the gym no matter what.
That’s fair, but I’m not really talking about last night. Iowa is a still a poor defensive team and I don’t feel that’s a recipe for winning on the road.

Not to get too far down another topic but I mentioned it when talking about next years team too. Even with all the talent we could return, I don’t think we’d be a legitimate conference championship contender due to our lack of defense.

That’s fair, but I’m not really talking about last night. Iowa is a still a poor defensive team and I don’t feel that’s a recipe for winning on the road.

Not to get too far down another topic but I mentioned it when talking about next years team too. Even with all the talent we could return, I don’t think we’d be a legitimate conference championship contender due to our lack of defense.

I wonder what the deal is. We have a team full of pretty good defenders this year. You think they spend so much energy on offense that they don't have any left for defense? I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's what's going in.

I wonder what the deal is. We have a team full of pretty good defenders this year. You think they spend so much energy on offense that they don't have any left for defense? I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's what's going in.
I don’t think we have a team full of pretty good defenders moreso than anything. I think we were so bad on that end the last few years we don’t really know what pretty good defenders look like.

I think Fredrick has been a little overhyped on that end to be quite honest. He’s a freshman so that’s not surprising really. Toussaint also a freshman.

In my opinion Garza is still a below average defensive player. The blocks have been a nice improvement no question as have the charges he’s drawn but he’s a liability in man to man defense. He’s the main reason we have to play so much zone.

Wieskamp gets beat off the bounce a good deal. Jumps at literally every pump fake he’s ever seen. He has the tools to be a much better defender than what he is. I’d say he’s average.

Connor tries hard but is giving up some size on that end. Kriener can’t defend 4s or the corner in our zone defense and neither can Pemsl.

Basically we have a bunch of average to below average defenders and defense isn’t prioritized at all by Fran.

I don’t think we have a team full of pretty good defenders moreso than anything. I think we were so bad on that end the last few years we don’t really know what pretty good defenders look like.

I think Fredrick has been a little overhyped on that end to be quite honest. He’s a freshman so that’s not surprising really. Toussaint also a freshman.

In my opinion Garza is still a below average defensive player. The blocks have been a nice improvement no question as have the charges he’s drawn but he’s a liability in man to man defense. He’s the main reason we have to play so much zone.

Wieskamp gets beat off the bounce a good deal. Jumps at literally every pump fake he’s ever seen. He has the tools to be a much better defender than what he is. I’d say he’s average.

Connor tries hard but is giving up some size on that end. Kriener can’t defend 4s or the corner in our zone defense and neither can Pemsl.

Basically we have a bunch of average to below average defenders and defense isn’t prioritized at all by Fran.
I think CJ and JT are hitting the freshman wall...not overhyped. I think Connor is solid but agree he’s often dealing with a mismatch. I generally agree with the rest.

Fran will never make defense the priority. And I’m fine with being elite offensively and average on defense. I hate Wisconsin style basketball...strictly from a fan watching the game perspective.

Latest posts