Holiday Bowl

I predict Iowa will bring a huge crowd. Friday night in San Diego, 2 days after Christmas. Good quality opponent. That's what a bowl trip should be like.
I remember sitting in my parents family room watching the 91 Holiday Bowl. My dad was drinking beers and yelling at the tv screen all game long. My mom kept laughing at him. I had an old vhs tape recorder and recorded my dad during that Holiday Bowl game, I still have that tape somewhere in my house. We should have been in the Cotton Bowl that year.

upload_2019-12-8_15-10-41.jpeg

First Holiday Bowl since '91, yes?

13-13 tie vs Ty Detmer and BYU. I remember being disappointed because I thought Iowa would roll those guys. They were 10-1 and ranked #7 going in IIRC.

Better luck this time HAWKS!
Think of how many hawk fans have transplanted to, or at winter in, the greater San Diego area since we last played there in 1991.

Last time we played there Smells Like Teen Spirit was the most popular song on the radio, Taylor Swift had just turned two, everyone had a Bart Simpson bumper sticker, karaoke was exploding in popularity, and a young Arkansas politician named Bill Clinton was about to kick off his presidential campaign with the Iowa Caucuses.

USC
Scoring Offense 36
First Downs Offense 30
Third Down Conversion Percentage 26
Pass Offense 5
Completion Percentage 5
Team Passing Efficiency 12
Sacks Allowed 64
Rush Offense 110
Scoring Defense 66 (tied with Nebraska)
First Downs Defense 111
Third Down Conversion Percentage Defense 63
Passing Yards Allowed 99
Team Passing Efficiency 62
Rushing Defense 76
Fewest Penalties 106

Iowa
Scoring Offense 99
First Downs Offense 100
Third Down Conversion Percentage 71
Pass Offense 67
Completion Percentage 80
Team Passing Efficiency 88
Sacks Allowed 48
Rush Offense 96
Scoring Defense 5
First Downs Defense 9
Third Down Conversion Percentage Defense 45
Passing Yards Allowed 10
Team Passing Efficiency 12
Rushing Defense 25
Fewest Penalties 8

Last edited:
First Holiday Bowl since '91, yes?

13-13 tie vs Ty Detmer and BYU. I remember being disappointed because I thought Iowa would roll those guys. They were 10-1 and ranked #7 going in IIRC.

Better luck this time HAWKS!

I remember this one, we were supposed to roll the Cougars. In the first quarter wee were having our way with BYU and the announcers said BYU has decided they can't match up with us physically so they started throwing the kitchen sink at us, sending multiple guys on blitzed every play and we didn't respond well and got shut down.

It appeared BYU was driving for the go ahead score at the end of the game to win and Carlos James intercepted the last collegiate pass of Ty Detmer to preserve the tie.

I remember this one, we were supposed to roll the Cougars. In the first quarter wee were having our way with BYU and the announcers said BYU has decided they can't match up with us physically so they started throwing the kitchen sink at us, sending multiple guys on blitzed every play and we didn't respond well and got shut down.

It appeared BYU was driving for the go ahead score at the end of the game to win and Carlos James intercepted the last collegiate pass of Ty Detmer to preserve the tie.
it really hurt when Iowa lost All American d-end Leroy Smith in that game to a broken leg.

If history is any indication, it will be a close game. The total margin in our three previous trips to the Holiday Bowl is two points.

That's not a typo. We tied 13-13 with BYU in 1991. BYU was driving late and Carlos James intercepted Ty Detmer on the goal line.

The most nervous person all night wasn't even a Hawkeye fan. It was my boss. Here's the scoop. He was the local cable advertising sales manager (and still is today 17 years after I moved on). The game was on ESPN, meaning that we could sell advertising in the local breaks. We were charging top dollar but still using old Ampex videotapes to edit our commercials onto. They went into tape decks at our local hub site, where they were controlled by a server back at our building. Here's what could have gone wrong, forcing us to do a ton of make goods and get left with egg on our face:

-the modem from the server to the server at the hub site could have crashed
-a drive belt on the videotape machine could have snapped.
-a pinch roller could have snapped
-the directory may not have been recorded properly onto the videotape
-the wrong commercial could have aired

Two of us watched the game from the hub site, with pizza and mountain dew on hand, ready to go into action if needed. Fortunately we never were. And our boss gave us each a half day PTO for doing it, as well as the pizza and mountain dew he paid for. Memories of that night were rekindled somewhat years later when people in tech industries (not myself in this case) were taking Y2K precautions and we're ready at the witching hour to spring into action, just in case the computers and servers crashed.

If history is any indication, it will be a close game. The total margin in our three previous trips to the Holiday Bowl is two points.

That's not a typo. We tied 13-13 with BYU in 1991. BYU was driving late and Carlos James intercepted Ty Detmer on the goal line.

The most nervous person all night wasn't even a Hawkeye fan. It was my boss. Here's the scoop. He was the local cable advertising sales manager (and still is today 17 years after I moved on). The game was on ESPN, meaning that we could sell advertising in the local breaks. We were charging top dollar but still using old Ampex videotapes to edit our commercials onto. They went into tape decks at our local hub site, where they were controlled by a server back at our building. Here's what could have gone wrong, forcing us to do a ton of make goods and get left with egg on our face:

-the modem from the server to the server at the hub site could have crashed
-a drive belt on the videotape machine could have snapped.
-a pinch roller could have snapped
-the directory may not have been recorded properly onto the videotape
-the wrong commercial could have aired

Two of us watched the game from the hub site, with pizza and mountain dew on hand, ready to go into action if needed. Fortunately we never were. And our boss gave us each a half day PTO for doing it, as well as the pizza and mountain dew he paid for. Memories of that night were rekindled somewhat years later when people in tech industries (not myself in this case) were taking Y2K precautions and we're ready at the witching hour to spring into action, just in case the computers and servers crashed.

Awesome story!

Love the bowl and the opponent. This isn't a USC team of old but they've still got the name recognition.

A few USC Fans on twitter shouted about their apathy and disappointment with the program. I hope they are uninspired to play such a low brand as Iowa. Like Washington was in 95 or 96

Latest posts