The Breakdown: Iowa No Match for Wolverines

RobHowe

Administrator
If you're so inclined, my content from Hawkeyes' tough night at Big Ten Tournament (story, interviews, photos, box score):

LINK

Nice article, on a plane during the game, didn't miss much it seems.

Now Iowa can go on that "big run" that the Iowa final four team did a couple of years back!

Might be difficult since Ronnie Lester was the PG on that team and we don't have a PG in the strict sense of the position.

1st sentence Fran said they were all DISAPPOINTED tonight. He then stated they won 22 games this year which is an 8 game improvement from last year. Fran then goes on to say he proud of his team and mentioned Baer by name. WTF is wrong with the statement Hassel? I’m sure if an ISU coach said this statement word for word you would be slobbering all over them. Babbling like a school girl on how this statement should be put in the hall of great statements and bronzed... But yeah,most know your CNN,fake news,typical media Drama career is as good as it will get....

Was traveling last night missed the action. I did catch the tail end of Duke/North Carolina game. Hope we don't have to face either of these teams in the tournament because if you're upset about how we stacked up with Michigan you will be crushed after any match up with these 2 teams.

If the goal was qualifying for the NCAA Tourney then it is probably met. One out of 4.5 programs meet that goal. For the current Iowa team it appears to be the epitome of achievement. A .500 conference record and a .666 overall winning percentage are above mediocre. After the FBI recruiting revelations of the past two years and the academic fraud permitted at some colleges maybe the record isn't all that bad when taken in to consideration.

1st sentence Fran said they were all DISAPPOINTED tonight. He then stated they won 22 games this year which is an 8 game improvement from last year. Fran then goes on to say he proud of his team and mentioned Baer by name. WTF is wrong with the statement Hassel? I’m sure if an ISU coach said this statement word for word you would be slobbering all over them. Babbling like a school girl on how this statement should be put in the hall of great statements and bronzed... But yeah,most know your CNN,fake news,typical media Drama career is as good as it will get....
Agreed. I’m not against criticizing Fran but that’s a horrible overreaction.

I wasn't expecting them to win tonight. But for much of the season this year they were ranked, I was hoping the team would compete like a top 25 team. It was disappointing to see so many unguarded threes. Seeing that in November is one thing, but in March...

The upside is we get a week to rest and recover. Cook looks healthy again. But Bohannon is clearly laboring.
Did anyone anywhere ever say anything about Tyler Cook being hurt or is that just something you came up with because he wasn’t playing well?

Bohannon looked to have a little tired legs but for the most part I’d chalk that up to very good defense on the part of Zavier Simpson.

Sometimes you’re simply outmatched or just having a bad night, the injury excuse is so lame.

Was traveling last night missed the action. I did catch the tail end of Duke/North Carolina game. Hope we don't have to face either of these teams in the tournament because if you're upset about how we stacked up with Michigan you will be crushed after any match up with these 2 teams.

Don't worry.. If Iowa doesn't play Duke or UNC it will be someone of their caliber in round 2. It might be Kentucky instead.

Either way, it's gonna be curtains for this team by the end of the first weekend.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

If the goal was qualifying for the NCAA Tourney then it is probably met. One out of 4.5 programs meet that goal. For the current Iowa team it appears to be the epitome of achievement. A .500 conference record and a .666 overall winning percentage are above mediocre. After the FBI recruiting revelations of the past two years and the academic fraud permitted at some colleges maybe the record isn't all that bad when taken in to consideration.

A .500 conference record

How is this "above mediocre"?
This is the definition of mediocre

The Hawkeyes dropped three spots in the NET after the loss to No. 44.

Going to be on the 8/9 lines, most likely. That's a No 1 seed if you make it to Round 2.

Did anyone anywhere ever say anything about Tyler Cook being hurt or is that just something you came up with because he wasn’t playing well?

Bohannon looked to have a little tired legs but for the most part I’d chalk that up to very good defense on the part of Zavier Simpson.

Sometimes you’re simply outmatched or just having a bad night, the injury excuse is so lame.
Tyler hadn’t dunked the ball in a month before Thursday. I should have said he looks 100% I guess...to avoid answering a pointless question like this one. He was high flying and moving quicker.

And Bohannon was icing his hip Thursday after the game...per Rob....and has been hurt for about a month. My comment suggested a week off would be a potentially good thing for the whole team...especially these 2. I guess you disagree. Why do you think rest is bad?

Iowa's record (including BIG Tourney) is 1-7 vs. those that finished above us in conf. play.......and that's probably a blessing since we only played PU, MSU, & MD one time only. ........couple that with our last second shots that gave us W's vs the 12th & 14th finish teams in the BIG. I'm willing to see how Iowa performs in the NCAA Tourney before closing the book on them this season but just hard to imagine much noise will be made. Our opponent/s in the Tourney probably won't be as familiar with us as our BIG opponents so maybe we have that going for us.

Fran needs to find better talent IMO before things change to much degree. Having a hard time seeing it be much different next season based on current players & incoming class.