Rob Howe's 2010 Iowa & Big 10 FB Predictions

It will be interesting to see who is more right at the end of the season--Howe or Deace.

I should say more correct, as Deace is naturally to the Right.

If I had to put my money on either Steve Deace or Rob Howe it would take me 0.26 seconds to throw my money on Deace. I'd be willing to bet that Deace has forgotten more about college football than Rob knows. No offense to Rob, Deace is just an absolute freak of nature.

If I had to put my money on either Steve Deace or Rob Howe it would take me 0.26 seconds to throw my money on Deace. I'd be willing to bet that Deace has forgotten more about college football than Rob knows. No offense to Rob, Deace is just an absolute freak of nature.

Deace knows stats, players, records, etc and can pull them easily off the top of his head with amazing accuracy.

However, other than his miracle shot of Fulmer being ousted from Tennessee, I find his actual analysis to be lacking. Deace's problem, which is not uncommon to guys like him, is that he overthinks his analysis.

I think Rob is a better analyst than Steve is.

Another guy taking the 3 loss route. I just don't see it and the fact that all these pundits are picking the same games for losses just encourages me more. I am going with 11-1 and that loss being either Mich or NW. Iowa still gets to he Rose and wins the B10. As long as this team is not completely undone by injuries, Iowa will beat OSU this year.

If Stanzi plays out of his mind, we probably win every game, or lose 1 at the most.

If he plays like he did last year, I think a 7 or 8 wins. We got lucky a lot last year, and under KF Iowa has never performed at or above expectations.

Just like Pat Harty's predictions, Rob Howe offers up a reasonable projection of how this season could unfold for the Hawks.

If Stanzi plays out of his mind, we probably win every game, or lose 1 at the most.

If he plays like he did last year, I think a 7 or 8 wins. We got lucky a lot last year, and under KF Iowa has never performed at or above expectations.

Really? That may be the dumbest thing I have ever read. You think last year's team had higher expectations than 11-2 and a BCS win?

The whole talk of Iowa losing at Arizona is completely overblown. It's being overblown simply because many people are liking it to the Arizona St. game played in 2004. However, there really isn't any parallels between the two. The main being a 5th year Senior QB in Stanzi versus a True Soph in Tate who happened to be making his first start on the road. Big difference. Not to mention the skill positions Iowa has this time and not to mention that this Arizona team, which lost a lot on defense from last season, is no where near that Arizona St. team as far as talent.

The whole talk of Iowa losing at Arizona is completely overblown. It's being overblown simply because many people are liking it to the Arizona St. game played in 2004. However, there really isn't any parallels between the two. The main being a 5th year Senior QB in Stanzi versus a True Soph in Tate who happened to be making his first start on the road. Big difference. Not to mention the skill positions Iowa has this time and not to mention that this Arizona team, which lost a lot on defense from last season, is no where near that Arizona St. team as far as talent.

This. 11-1. Mark. It. Down.

Except 02 when they won a share of the Big 10 and probably the 04 co-championship. I would say that was performing above expectations on both accounts.

You are right. Signed: 2002, 2004 and 2009 teams.

9-3 is completely reasonable. There are many potential losses on that schedule. 8-4 wouldnt suprise me and 11-1 wouldnt suprise me either.

This is the same Deace that predicted KF's firing in his preseason guide 2-3 seasons ago when he was up against testifying in the sexgate trial. Fail.

This is the same Deace that said a couple years ago that Iowa State had more overall team speed than Iowa. Fail.

This is the same Deace that said that ISU reminded him physically of a mid-tier SEC team ala Arkansas or South Carolina. He said this in the same breath (on paper, or computer screen) as the ISU had more team speed than Iowa comment. Fail.

These indeed are freak of nature comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way the schedule sets up is nice when you look at from this perspective. A five game season with a bye week then a seven game season. Allows the coaching staff to make some adjustments.

Arizona scares me a little more than Michigan just based on the fact that Iowa will have two weeks to prepare for the Michigan trip. I'm actully concerned about the Michigan, Wisconsin, MSU three game stretch....

Last edited:
Nothing disappointed me than the Nathan Chandler 2003 team finishing 8th in the country. I expected top 3 at worst.

I still am not buying that Michigan will beat Iowa. We will play their offense better the second time around,and Graham and that d-back are big losses for them on defense.

I could see OSU beating Iowa, and maybe Az...but I think the Hawks could surprise, and go 11-1...or 10-2...with a loss vs PSU or Wis.