Which Running Back Is More Elusive?

• Wadley

Votes: 30 100.0%
  • Butler

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tksirius

HN's Love Doctor
So, we read about Butler having the most missed (forced) tackles of any returning back and now we see that Wadley is apparently the most elusive returning back. So, which is really the more elusive running back? And... are you excited for the Hawkeye Running Game?

Wadley is stylistically the closest thing to Barry Sanders I've seen in awhile with his vision and cutting. (not saying he's the same Sanders for my money was best RB there's ever been. Between college and pros he dominated and he had mediocre to bad Olines in Detroit) Butler is a different kind of elusive. He's shorter and runs with way lower pad level allowing him to slide off of tacklers for extra yards maintain his balance and keep going. He's not as shifty as Wadley (again who is) but he's a heck of a back in his own right.

This is a tough one to answer. As an Iowa fan I will be biased towards Wadley since I have seen more of his work. But Butler sounds like very elusive in his own right. Just feels awesome to know that we have two of the best running backs in the game, oh and also an award winning offensive line. The way it is shaping up, I could almost be back there playing QB and win at least 3 games.

From the clips I've seen of Butler, his power seems to be the driving force in the miised tackles where Wadley's is more in change of direction.

Tough choice, but I lean toward Wadley until I see Butler in person. Wadley's feet are fast in slow motion. Hopefully, someone will be able refresh this video once we are a few games in to the season ...

Last edited:
Wadley really had an awesome game against Mich. The defense was awesome that game too.

It is so cool to have an elusive back on the team again. It feels like Iowa went so long without one.

wadley has "some" barry sanders in his ankles...i don't think anyone can cut on a dime like AW can.

Remember that stop on a dime cut Reggie Bush made the year he won the Heisman? He was good in college, but it didn't translate professionally. Still made a ton of $ though.

I am just excited that we are having a conversation involving comparing Wadley to another running back on our team, and deciding who is better!

Remember that stop on a dime cut Reggie Bush made the year he won the Heisman? He was good in college, but it didn't translate professionally. Still made a ton of $ though.

Yeah, Bush was actually a "tweener" in the NFL, as it turns out. But, I still think AW has a good chance with the right team to be a rb/slot type. I'd love to see him land with my Steelers.

When I stop and think about this, this post is simply asking us to define their running style.
Being "elusive" is awesome, but so is breaking through tackles. One style over another is purely subjective and therefore it's not fair to say one is a better attribute than the other. Depends on the factors of each play, of each series of downs, what the defense is showing you and what part of the game you're in.
Last year I saw Wadley make some cuts that I hadn't seen since B. Sanders ran wild back in the day (and defied several laws of physics while doing so).
I welcome Butler to the Black & Gold with open arms, and hope he pops for 1200yds+ in front of his family and 70,000 of his newest best friends at Kinnick.
But if I'm up against it with the clock winding down and we have a shot at upsetting someone, when it's 3rd down and we need 6 yards at crunch time...gimme Wadley every time.

Wadley is stylistically the closest thing to Barry Sanders I've seen in awhile with his vision and cutting. (not saying he's the same Sanders for my money was best RB there's ever been. Between college and pros he dominated and he had mediocre to bad Olines in Detroit) Butler is a different kind of elusive. He's shorter and runs with way lower pad level allowing him to slide off of tacklers for extra yards maintain his balance and keep going. He's not as shifty as Wadley (again who is) but he's a heck of a back in his own right.

Sanders was awesome and played for a NFL team that was severely lacking in talent. That made it very easy for NFL defenses to key on him. Walter Payton had similar challenges playing for the Bears. Emmitt Smith of course holds the all time leading rusher records but he had all pro players surrounding him and defenses couldn't just key on him like they did Sanders and Payton.

My vote goes to Walter. Barry was a more powerful running back but was never as allusion as Walter and in my opinion never was Emmitt.

I loved watching all three of them play.

Latest posts