Pat Forde: Players Blame Fran

phdsvp

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/iowa-p...tinues-005021663.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

Asked what Iowa needs to do to reverse its high-speed plummet, All-American Jarrod Uthoff said, "I don't know. That's what coaches are for."

The same question for center Adam Woodbury: "You have to ask Coach McCaffery that one. But I know we'll be ready. We've been here before. Got no other options."

Strangely enough, the local guys didn't get these quote. Good work, Pat.

Lol. Nice thread title. Got me to look.

You're reaching a bit.

This just in, players and coaches upset after another loss to a team they should have beat...and looking for answers....news at 6.

Lol. Nice thread title. Got me to look.

You're reaching a bit.

This just in, players and coaches upset after another loss to a team they should have beat...and looking for answers....news at 6.

Hey, that's the gist of the article. You can blame the messenger all you want, but that's how it's presented. I think he might be reading into it a bit too, but it's too late for that now. The national perception of Iowa is that Fran has lost the locker room.

Hey, that's the gist of the article. You can blame the messenger all you want, but that's how it's presented. I think he might be reading into it a bit too, but it's too late for that now. The national perception of Iowa is that Fran has lost the locker room.

That "gist" is what you want it to say. Again, your thread title is showing...

Uthoff said something simliar a few weeks ago about having to ask Fran.

I fully think there is a problem with the players and Fran when things don't go well. His temperment doesn't help when things are not going well.

See 2 years ago. Same problem.

Fran's personality isn't good when they lose and players don't like it I think.

Not much of a fan of Fran, right now, but I think he was just trying to protect his players when he said the "none of your business" line.

Fran made a comment in a press conference about Uthoff and his "slump." Fran said, "you would have to ask Uthoff."

Those of you ripping the OP for his thread title obviously didn't read Forde's column. You should. The dumpster fire in the Twin Cities is nothing compared to what's going on in Iowa City, apparently.

Uthoff said something simliar a few weeks ago about having to ask Fran.

I fully think there is a problem with the players and Fran when things don't go well. His temperment doesn't help when things are not going well.

See 2 years ago. Same problem.

Fran's personality isn't good when they lose and players don't like it I think.

Beg to differ... I think just like 2 yrs ago, this team just wore out. Starters played too many minutes and didn't get enough quality time from bench for the last 2ish months. Lost that step that they had. The loose balls, the jumping into passing lanes, cutting of drives, help D, etc.

But I could be wrong too.

Players love Fran this writer is just trolling. No bonfires in Iowa City. Disappointing but it wasn't a must win like it was for Illinois. I do think Frans confidence in his seniors is ebbing though. Will not be surprised if he opens up all the startiing spots this week and plays the players that he thinks gives them the best chance to win. Lately it's not the starting 5 from today.

Players love Fran this writer is just trolling. No bonfires in Iowa City. Disappointing but it wasn't a must win like it was for Illinois. I do think Frans confidence in his seniors is ebbing though. Will not be surprised if he opens up all the startiing spots this week and plays the players that he thinks gives them the best chance to win. Lately it's not the starting 5 from today.

Yeah, no. Pat Forde is no slouch. This is the national perception of Iowa basketball.

The national "perception" is that Iowa has disgruntled players? I guess I didn't get the memo. I thought those hugs on senior night were emotional but I guess they were all faking it. A reporter shapes a few responses from players into a narrative he wants to tell. Oldest story in reporting. You didn't see it locally because nobody who knows these players believe that's what they meant. I think there's pleanty of local reporters that would break a story (if it were true) like that.

Three starting seniors 2-20 from the field. Ouch. Not sure how much of that can be Fran's fault. But losing another first round game in the B1G is not good.

The truth lies in between. The coach does not handle pressure very well and his intense drive may grind down the players but there is also plenty of on the court evidence from the players that has nothing to do with the coaches. 2-20 from the floor, 2 missed FTs, and 9 TOs from 3 core seniors and really horrific D has nothing to do with coaching. The 18 missed included at least 4 missed layups and a shot with the game on the line that hit the backboard only. Then on D the guards were late closing out on the 3 point shooters and running around doubling instead of staying on their man. All of that and you lose by 2 to a really bad but not untalented IL team.

The national "perception" is that Iowa has disgruntled players? I guess I didn't get the memo. I thought those hugs on senior night were emotional but I guess they were all faking it. A reporter shapes a few responses from players into a narrative he wants to tell. Oldest story in reporting. You didn't see it locally because nobody who knows these players believe that's what they meant. I think there's pleanty of local reporters that would break a story (if it were true) like that.

I thought Clemmons and Fran might have to get a room their hug was so long. Besabe's twitter pic was of he and Fran hugging. The players love him. It's entirely possible players were mad at Fran at the time. When you're losing, you're mad at everyone.

The truth lies in between. The coach does not handle pressure very well and his intense drive may grind down the players but there is also plenty of on the court evidence from the players that has nothing to do with the coaches. 2-20 from the floor, 2 missed FTs, and 9 TOs from 3 core seniors and really horrific D has nothing to do with coaching. The 18 missed included at least 4 missed layups and a shot with the game on the line that hit the backboard only. Then on D the guards were late closing out on the 3 point shooters and running around doubling instead of staying on their man. All of that and you lose by 2 to a really bad but not untalented IL team.

All these stats that point to players struggling and people want to say Fran sucks. We finished 3rd in the Big 10 with a senior class that could never close a close game in their careers. Think about it. We were 10-1 with a team that only has 2 players with the ability to score. The only way that happens is with really good coaching. I don't believe the "they figured us out" talk. But for the people who do believe it, is it really that bad? The coach took a team full of players that can't score and implemented a plan that got us to 10-1. Coaches figured out how to counter that plan and we needed to win on talent alone which we don't have enough of to do. Like I said, I don't believe that, but if it's true, that means Fran is a good coach, not a bad one.

Latest posts