the #1 reason we lost

You are going to win very few football games when you have 3 turnovers, several instances of bad tackling, and seven penalties; all of which led to 38 points for the opposition.

Six of our last eight offensive plays in 3rd quarter were running plays totaling 54 yds.

We ran thirty six plays in the 4th quarter and two of them were running plays.

Explanation?

Not sure I would pin this as the reason we lost (as there were many) but sure seems we might have had a better chance to win.

We're really not that good of a team...........and we are having difficulty coming to grips with this fact.

November gonna be real ugly.

Yeah, onemed, we aren't that good of a team. The defense isn't good and the offense isn't good. I'll ask this again: how do we fix things? Run the ball 30+ times a game and Iowa loses, for example, 28-17. Attempt to beef up the offense with intricate passing and Iowa loses, for example 34-24. Suggestions that make sense and aren't part of your pet ideology of football? Which unit do we hide? Which unit do we emphasize? Why?

We're really not that good of a team...........and we are having difficulty coming to grips with this fact.

November gonna be real ugly.

this is exactly why we need to start beathard and see what happens. We have seen the results with our current lineup.

Yeah, onemed, we aren't that good of a team. The defense isn't good and the offense isn't good. I'll ask this again: how do we fix things? Run the ball 30+ times a game and Iowa loses, for example, 28-17. Attempt to beef up the offense with intricate passing and Iowa loses, for example 34-24. Suggestions that make sense and aren't part of your pet ideology of football? Which unit do we hide? Which unit do we emphasize? Why?

We need to start CJ. We need to try to establish the run and use play action. In instances where we have 3rd and 8 or more we can go spread with CJ. He has the ability to attempt and complete passes that are 8 yards or more. CJ can attack man coverage. Rudock is afraid to attempt medium length passes unless he's near the endzone and is protected by OB. Otherwise, he won't make a medium length throw unless the wr is absolutely wide open which doesn't happen often.

...Would running the ball in, let's say, 5+ yard chunks given Iowa enough points to win against Maryland ?
Yes.

And if the play that resulted in a pick 6 had been a run between the tackles....

Forget the zone blocking, just maul them up the middle as many times as it takes. We won't get this one back and it's unfortunate because we could have won it. Maybe not pretty, but a win is a win.

While I'm not happy with the coaches and play calling. The simple fact of the matter is the players played TERRIBLE against Maryland. The O-Line was dominated by the pass rush, Jake had a terrible game, the D-Line was horrendous, the LB and Safeties took terrible angles, and nobody tackled on the defensive side of the ball at all. We had key penalties as well on top of the terrible play.

It is actually a miracle that we had the ball with a chance to tie the game at the end. We should have gotten beaten by 21 or more.

Maryland was a team we probably have some real good success pounding the ball straight at them.

If you run it down their throats you tire them out and you dont have to pass as often so the pass blocking is not a problem.

Maryland was a team we probably have some real good success pounding the ball straight at them.

If you run it down their throats you tire them out and you dont have to pass as often so the pass blocking is not a problem.

I agree that the game plan and play calling were horrendous, and said as much.

They have a history of stopping what's working. I remember a game where Greene and the rbs were driving it the whole first half and then they barely got the ball the second. Another thing is that KF bases way too much on who practiced well and who pissd him off. Maybe a guy practiced well, but chokes on game day. Take him out!!

images

How about the 3.3 ypcatch in the 2nd and 3rd quarters? how is that even possible? What I wouldn't give right now to have a couple of patented play action deep post routes to tevaun smith. He was good for at least one a game of those. Is that even in the playbook anymore? or the sideline fades that worked pretty well with mcnutt and djk? at least okeefe actually addressed the fact people were crowding the box, Davis doesn't appear to even notice they are.

If Iowa hands the ball off 30+ times in a game, how many of their defenders (or all upcoming opponent's defenders) in the box, say, by the 2rd quarter? I'll agree on this: going to a running game would help the OLine struggling to pass protect and the QB struggling for reads. Would running the ball in, let's say, 5+ yard chunks given Iowa enough points to win against Maryland ?

In the third quarter we rushed 8 times for 69 yards and a TD. In the fourth quarter the only person to run the ball was Jake: 2 sacks (losing a total of 20 yards) and 2 rushes for 11 yards. That's a net of -9 yards on the ground in the fourth quarter. That means out our 116 yards of rushing, we had over half in the third quarter. Again, why did we abandon the running game?

I posted this in another thread but I need to vent, and really I don't think it can be overstated...

Run the damn ball when you can. We were averaging over 4.5 yards per carry as a team, we had just run the ball the whole damn length of the field for a touchdown, running blocking was very good, we were hitting cutback lanes for once!, we had a size advantage against a quick 3-4 defense that was getting pressure on passing plays...so what did we do when we had a chance to tie/lead and a short 3rd and 2???? We decide to pass, then pass about 30 times in a row !!!

W T F.

This is why we lost, period. And this is on Davis, and Kirk by default.

Yes, JR struggled, turnovers hurt, bad tackling hurt, a bad call on not reversing the fumble hurt....But NOT running the ball.... lost this game!!! This is Idiotic and there is no explanation other than utter incompetence by Greg Davis.

This alone should get Greg Davis fired, but if KF can't/won't see this then....it will be his undoing as well.

Hell, I don't care if we are úconservative, even boring ! But 37 pass plays in a row, one being Another idiotic play call that has now cost us 2 pick 6's ...dammmnit, THAT is not conservative!!! That's just stupid.

Very nice observations, HW, the thing that bothered me was in the third quarter, I believe, third and two and we pass instead of giving it to The Hammer, once if not twice, for a first down. He was pounding them just before that.....

:rolleyes:

I agree. Maryland appeared to be undersized and I felt it was there for the hammer. If it's there, take it. Despite what was supposed to work or not supposed to work. If the pass is there, take it. It clearly was not. Bad bad game by the coaches

I agree. I didn't understand alot of the play calls saturday. Especially the 4th qtr.

Recruit better athletes is the first place to start.

Latest posts