Saturday's High Temp Reaching Dangerous Levels

Hawkfromnorwalk

As the week began forecasted highs for Saturday in Iowa City were hovering around 92 degrees. As the week has gone by the high seems to be creeping higher and as of now they are calling for a high of 98 degrees on Saturday. Add in the humidity, little to no shade, and 70,000 people (many of which have been drinking) crammed into a stadium like sardines and there could be a real problem. I seriously hope the university is at least kicking around the idea of moving the start time. I know it probably won't happen because we are only three days out and there are TV considerations involved but lets face it, NIU/Iowa wasn't the premier game at 2:30 anyway since they relegated it to an alternate channel. So I'm sure if the university decided to move the kickoff time back to around 6:00 the BTN would probably still have room for it on the alternate channel. There is a reason why Arizona and ASU never play day games early in the season, and they don't even have to humidity like we do. Like I said, I'm sure nothing will change, but I'm quite sure you're going to see the medics running up and down the aisles a lot on Saturday afternoon.

Its going to be intense, thats for sure. It's steaming hot in Kinnick when it's in the lower 80's and sunny. This is going to be insane.

I'm seriously concerned. Not necessarily for my health because I'm a spry 33 years young. But for the older fans or those with health issues. We have seven in our group of ticket holders and my pregnant wife and 70 year old uncle already decided to back out. My 69 year old dad and my mother who suffers from complications from MS are both on the fence right now. It's a bad situation. The worse thing is if there are a lot of heat related incidents you know the university will take flack for it from the media asking why they didn't try to change the start time.

Wouldnt it be smarter to move it to 11 AM instead of 6 PM?

Seems like its still pretty damn hot at 5 or 6 until the sun goes down.

Get the game over by 2 or 230 when the most intense heat is just starting.

norwalk, you make some good points. I don't get it either, why play this game during the hottest part of the day. This game is not on a prime time network channel and I highly doubt the BTN TV crew is expected to head to Nebraska after the game. Honestly I don't understand why they don't stagger these games out more anyway instead of having 2 kickoffs at the same time and putting one of the games on the alternate channel. Even pushing this game out an hour would make a huge difference.

But then the game would not be televised. It might still be hot at 5 or 6 but at least the sun is not beating directly on you.

But then the game would not be televised. It might still be hot at 5 or 6 but at least the sun is not beating directly on you.

So are we more morried about the safety of players and fans in Kinnick or about TV?

Hard to tell with this answer.

And I thought BTN had like 3 or 4 overflow channels.

How many games are on at 11 AM? Wisky/UMASS and Illinois/Directional Illinois

fbda_barta_rooney.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Hello, NIU.. Ya, hey, what's up besides the temp (chuckle, chuckle)......Some of us over were kind of thinkin, you know, maybe we can just call it a tie and move on....It's gonna be hotter than Hades

I think 11 to 2 would be worse than 230 to 530. I'll take a couple degrees of temperature if it means less direct sun. The West side will mostly be in the shade at 230, while an 11am game they'd be in the sun. I sit on the East side, and I'm seriously considering moving to the top of the student section for shade.

Also, the Hawkeye sideline will be in the shade for 230. Not so for 11am.

So are we more morried about the safety of players and fans in Kinnick or about TV?

Hard to tell with this answer.

And I thought BTN had like 3 or 4 overflow channels.

How many games are on at 11 AM? Wisky/UMASS and Illinois/Directional Illinois

Personally, no I am more concerned of the safety of the fans and the players but college football is a business. They would be more likely to move the game later than try and squeeze a 5th game starting at 11. Besides, you are not accomplishing much as towards the end of the game people are going to bake. I think you help the players/fans more by moving the game to a later start time to minimize the amount of time the sun is directly over your head.

Pretty sure the BTN has 5 channels total. They could easily re-arrange the schedule to put us on earlier.

I am to lazy to look but I am pretty sure my Dish Network only has 1 alternate channel for BTN. Even if they can put it on a 2nd alternate channel, are there not financial implications for doing that?

Its Wednesday of game week. They aren't moving the game time. There are a million little things that would have to change, even when ignoring TV.

I think 11 to 2 would be worse than 230 to 530. I'll take a couple degrees of temperature if it means less direct sun. The West side will mostly be in the shade at 230, while an 11am game they'd be in the sun. I sit on the East side, and I'm seriously considering moving to the top of the student section for shade.

Also, the Hawkeye sideline will be in the shade for 230. Not so for 11am.

Is it the sun that causes heat exhaustion or the heat? I would think it's more the heat. Sure seems to me like the hottest time of the day in the past several years has been moved back to like 2-6 or even 2-7. I remember awhile ago it used to be 11-2 or 11-3, but for some reason I feel like it has changed. I think 11 am would be better as far as the actual temperature goes. These last few days the high temp of the day (97, 98, 99) hasn't been reached until later in the afternoon.

I think everything will be ok. Hey, farmers almanac says there will be 12 inches of snow the day of our last game at Kinnick this year. Lets cancel that now just to be safe. Come on, lets put our big boy pants on. Just bring all your plastic water bottles with you and you will survive!

I think everything will be ok. Hey, farmers almanac says there will be 12 inches of snow the day of our last game at Kinnick this year. Lets cancel that now just to be safe. Come on, lets put our big boy pants on. Just bring all your plastic water bottles with you and you will survive!

I get your point, but there will be a many folks who drink lots of water and will still have health complications because of the heat. We weren't designed to be out in the extreme heat for long. Thank God I don't have to be now. My heart goes out to all the construction workers that have to work in this stuff.

Its Wednesday of game week. They aren't moving the game time. There are a million little things that would have to change, even when ignoring TV.
This was my thought at first, but don't you think all people involved with making game day happen have itineraries for all f the various start times?

As a former football player and military man, this was my intitial attitude. Suck it up.

However, since entering the real world and working in Radiology since 2007 I can tell you that the heat is extremely dangerous. Emergency Rooms fill up like you wouldn't believe when you're talking about these kind of temperatures. The problem is everyone thinks they will be okay and that just isn't the case. Specially when you throw in the fact there will be an incredibly large number of intoxicated people. That means two things... you're dehydrating yourself and you aren't conscious of the fact you need be drinking water.

I don't think the gametime will be changed because it's just too late, but I promise you the University Hospital ER is going to be busy. It isn't a matter of sucking it up.

Last edited:
People with health conditions that can't be in the heat should use their nog and not attend. People who are obese and will smell and sweat on those sitting around them in sunny conditions should not attend because I don't want to smell you or have your sweaty arms or legs rub up against me. People who are so pussified that they worry about watching their favorite team when it's too hot out should not attend; and instead join the cyclown nation as you are weak genetic material and not wanted or needed in this fan base. All others who want to watch our team on Saturday rain, wind, or snow, ill see your dumb assess at Kinnick!

Latest posts