Will Iowa Lose Pierschbacher?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Ross Pierschbacher committed to Iowa back in January, he said the following to Rivals.com: "I just felt really comfortable with it (committing to Iowa). Waking up this morning, I just kind of knew what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go. I just felt really comfortable and just thought why not today and make it the day."

Seven months later, Pierschbacher isn't as certain about his college future and has told the Iowa City Press-Citizen that he is going to decide between Iowa, Stanford and Alabama, possibly as soon as this week. Should he reaffirm his non-binding (see meaningless) commitment to Iowa at this point, he can always change his mind again, as often as he would like, before the first Wednesday of February which is national signing day.
All of this is totally Pierschbacher's prerogative, of course. This is how the system is set up. There is no early signing period and verbal commitments are not contracts.

I don't fault Pierschbacher for looking closely at all of his options, for taking visits to Alabama (his second) and Stanford. If I had a son or daughter in a similar, highly recruited position with several amazing options, I'd encourage them to take the visits, too, especially if one of those schools was Stanford. How many people get a chance at a full ride to attend Stanford? Most Stanford grads are set up for life and if you don't have student loans to pay off you're in an even better position.

Then again, I'd wait until after they began their first day of their senior year of high school so those colleges would be able to pay for the cost of the trip, but perhaps I am just cheap.

Pierschbacher won't have any student loans and he is choosing between the home state Hawkeyes, one of the world's elite institutions in Stanford and one of the greatest college football dynasties in history in Nick Saban's Crimson Tide.

You shouldn't be critical of any selection, but the process and how he's going about it? Some will have something to say about that. Then again, if he had picked another school instead of Iowa right out of the chute, some would have had something to say about that, too because four legs good, two legs bad. If you don't pick 'our school' then we never wanted you anyway...you know the type.

Regardless of what Pierschbacher says this week or whenever he commits again, I don't think I'd write it in pen. If he pledges to the Hawks again and Iowa goes sub .500 again this fall, all bets are likely off. Why do I say that? Read this quote fro Pierschbacher when asked this question by the ICPC:

“Whatever is happening then, I couldn’t tell you what’s going to happen."

Again, more power to the kid for exploring all of his options. He should take all the time he has allotted to him before he decides, which is over six months until signing day. Tell the three schools you are interested in that you will talk with them once per week or once per month for that matter, until your senior year is over. Tell every other school not to bother calling you at all. Tell the recruiting services and reporters you don't want to talk to them until you have something to say. Change your cell phone number. Whatever.

But the 'I'm in until I'm out' thing will certainly not improve his quality of life. Someone who follows HN on twitter wrote this:

https://twitter.com/HoundGuy/status/362374981696499712
"Then why commit? That's like a woman accepting a wedding ring, but still checking match.com daily."

One of the few real benefits I see about verballing well in advance of when you can sign is that if you verbal to the right program and you get hurt your senior year, the program will still bring you in and you get a full ride.
Not all programs do that.

Kirk Ferentz has done that while Iowa's head coach. We've read stories about how Nick Saban runs off healthy players, much less prospects who blow out a knee before they make it to Tuscaloosa. I'm not saying that would happen in this case or that is a Saban rule, but Ferentz has shown his stripes on this numerous times.

The bottom line: these are not easy decisions when you have options like this, so why rush into things? There's no need to decide now if you take control of the process. The schools interested in you will leave you alone and you can make it so the recruiting services lose your number.

Pierschbacher can commit again this week and then change his mind in November and then again in January and still find a school who would love to have him. That's the way things are when you are a Top 100 player. That doesn't mean it was the best way to go about it but in the end, given the rules of the current process, he could do just that. In the end, he gets to set the timetable as long as he has the offers.

While I might do it a different way or advise my child to do things differently, it's his choice and beyond this item, there isn't much I have to say about it and I certainly wouldn't begrudge the kid if he felt like a program other than Iowa's was the place for him.

Last edited:
Yeah I think he moves on, but i think it was really dumb of him to commit right now to Iowa if he really not sure that is where he ends up.

I can't really fault him as he didn't have the Bama offer when he verballed to Iowa, not sure when he got the Stanford offer.

Also, pretty sure all the visits he took were unofficials, so he went to those places on his dime.....or his parents dime.

If I had to pay for my kid's visits, they'd be waiting until the schools could pay for them. What a lot of money spent that didn't have to be spent. Whew.

All of those schools will get him to the NFL if he puts in the work. Standford degree vs Bama probable NC vs Iowa's favorite team. I would be suprised if he stays. Gut says he goes to Bama, but I hope its wrong.

136, I believe you are right. From some NCAA searching I think officials begin after your first day of classes of your senior year. The family has paid twice to go to Bama and at least once to Stanford. I just don't get the rush. Maybe Bama and Stanford have given deadlines.

I don't think he's going anywhere yet. If the Hawks lay an egg this year then I think he goes but until then he is a hawk. I think the factors are he can get to the nfl as a hawk, he has friends on the team, he is a fan, it's close to home, and a chance to play early.

136, I believe you are right. From some NCAA searching I think officials begin after your first day of classes of your senior year. The family has paid twice to go to Bama and at least once to Stanford. I just don't get the rush. Maybe Bama and Stanford have given deadlines.

I know kids do it all over the country but it could be a cluster going to the southeast or west coast in the fall from Cedar Falls. High school game Friday night and then have to get there for a game on Saturday and probably get back to Cedar Falls late Sunday night.

He could take them after his season is over but I dont think Ross is the type of recruit Saban would keep a spot for until Signing Day. He is a stud recruit but not the type that can name his school on Signing Day.

especially in this case. Didn't he say he wanted to see how the season went when he first started wavering? Deadlines have to have been inferred.

He came to the party with us and we're in jeans and no makeup. Beyonce and Anne Hathaway just walked up and kissed him on the cheek. What do you think he's going to do?

hawk-harrelson-624x469.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if my son turned down a free ride to Stanford to go to Iowa, I'd brain the moron until he wasn't smart enough to go to Stanford anymore.

Playing within a reasonable distance to home has to play a part in this. There are no direct flights from Iowa to Tuscaloosa. I get the allure of the Crimson Tide and I like the team (more before Saban).

Cedar Falls to DSM = 2 hrs or CID = 1 hr+
Arrive 2 hrs early
Flight to Birmingham with 1 connection = 4-6 hrs
Get baggage & car = 1 hr
Drive from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa = 1.5 hr

That's 10-12 hrs for a trip to 'Bama campus.

That's 20-24 hrs of travel each time to go watch or visit your son or vice versa for Ross to visit home.

Last edited:
I will be more surprised if he isn't a hawk than I would have been if james ferentz would have played for Minny and tim Brewster

Stanford would be about the same travel time.

travel to airport 1-2 hrs
Arrive 2 hrs early
Flight to Palo Alto 7-8 hrs
Get baggage & car 1 hr
Drive to campus 15 min

total 11-13 hrs

Playing within a reasonable distance to home has to play a part in this. There are no direct flights from Iowa to Tuscaloosa. I get the allure of the Crimson Tide and I like the team (more before Saban).

Cedar Falls to DSM = 2 hrs or CID = 1 hr+
Arrive 2 hrs early
Flight to Birmingham with 1 connection = 4-6 hrs
Get baggage & car = 1 hr
Drive from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa = 1.5 hr

That's 10-12 hrs for a trip to 'Bama campus.

That's 20-24 hrs of travel each time to go watch or visit your son or vice versa for Ross to visit home.

Stanford would be about the same travel time.

travel to airport 1-2 hrs
Arrive 2 hrs early
Flight to Palo Alto 7-8 hrs
Get baggage & car 1 hr
Drive to campus 15 min

total 11-13 hrs

Nobody with half a brain shows up to CID 2 hours before their flight, sorry just doesn't happen.

Latest posts