Quiet portal

Neither Booty nor Sullivan would be an upgrade, and would only cause Lainez to jump ship. Iowa isn't big enough potatoes to rely on getting capable QBs from the portal on a whim like better football schools...taking wild gambles on guys that will do nothing but make players like Lainez (who has been around the program and could at least have 4 years to help stabilize it to some degree) leave for other places.

The fact that there's a possibility Iowa is entertaining either of these guys should tell you that the ship is sinking in a huge hurry and Ferentz is trying to plug 50 holes inn the boat with 20 fingers and toes. Total desperation mode.

Good god people...Booty has one year of JUCO experience. People are seriously starting to sound like nebraska fans around here.
Literally anyone is an upgrade over Hill... That's who we are replacing right?. If which ever one ends up coming is good enough to replace Cade then so be it too. We literally need a 4th qb in the room no matter what. That has to happen be it they end up behind Lainez on the depth chart or end up number 1. I don't think losing Lainez would be some huge deal if he was to go closer to home. He's got a legit shot to end up being a multi yr starter here. He'd be a bit of a quitter if he gave up now on it.

I need to preface this with so long as he stays this season and waits till after if he were to leave. We kinda gotta have 4 qbs in the room for a season I would think. For practice and scout team reasons.

Last edited:
One of my million questions is this...

If Iowa is going to keep going to the portal every year for JUCO heroes and Uncle Ricos, how are you going to recruit someone here to develop?

I know the retort is that it's the future of the game so you have to do it, but that's for schools Like OSU, Michigan, Penn State, etc. Yeah, maybe you have to take some lumps for a year or maybe two with Lainez, but at least you could hopefully have something to work with his junior and senior years.

If Iowa is going to keep desperately looking for the latest flunky from the Texas State Armadillos every year then you can kiss any success whatsoever goodbye.
This is the corner KF he's painted himself in. It goes for the WR room as well. Getting the stink of BFs tenure off the program isn't going to just go away in one off season. Other schools are negatively recruiting against us hard core on it cause it's easy and correct. Iowa has sucked at recruiting. developing and using QBs & WRs going back to Petras entire tenure pretty much. (Ironically I just heard he won the Utah st starting job).

Iowa's not gonna get the pick of the liter for any QB or WR (not that we ever did) anytime soon due to it. That'll take miracle work by Lester to accomplish anything close to that sort of thing happening

I'm a Lucky Charms guy.

Alas, though...it's true. We are now a program talking to a kid named General Booty who's never played P5 football to come here and play quarterback. The other teams he's talking to are Tulsa, Samford, UTSA, and Louisiana-Monroe.

The Ferentzes have made the program a cartoon.
My lord you are misguided. Your love affair with Lainez only rivals your brief love affair for Hill after his first game. How you are so smitten with a kid you have seen play mop duty in a meaningless bowl game is beyond me. I hope he is great. I hope any of them are great. But, much like the NFL, you keep recruiting and bringing in QBs until you find a good one. Its the most important position in sports by far. KF and BF did not prioritize it and Iowa's offense paid the price. I love that the new OC is a former QB. He will do better.

Iowa's offense is a cartoon. It seems like it is heading in a better direction, but we will wait and see. To say the entire program is a cartoon is ignorant. 80% of major college football programs would trade places with Iowa's success in a heartbeat. I realize 8-10 wins a season is ho hum to some on this Board, but Nebbie's fans would live in the sand and eat bugs all day for one season like that right now. Have some perspective.

Fry, you're touching on a big issue. The reputation that Iowa is stuck with. This may be Kirk's legacy and one that will stick with his name. The fans may not ever forget the last 3 years. The rotting corpes of an offense that he would not or could not fix. And to be honest I don't think he would have ever let Brian go.
Yeah I mean do folks remember the great times from old tenured coaches once they leave? It'd take fans of a certain age to even really go back that far once they get to KFs ball park. I remember more of the good times with Hayden Fry but that last season made it tough for KF to have a smooth transition once he took over. We ended up being a 3 yr rebuild pretty much after that.

How patient will Iowa fans be with the rebuild whenever that happens? We'd have to be pretty lucky to have something happen better than what it was last time.

It was supposed to be Stoops. Hayden then advocated for KF.

Will be interesting to see how much say KF has in the naming of his successor. Signs point to Wallace being his choice, Plan B after Plan A blew up. PP could retire with KF or continue on as DC with SW.

Will be interesting to see how much say KF has in the naming of his successor. Signs point to Wallace being his choice, Plan B after Plan A blew up. PP could retire with KF or continue on as DC with SW.
Only spit-ballin' here, but I wonder if a certain scenario is contributing to Brian taking an analyst gig that likely allows him to stay in Iowa City instead of uprooting his family to chase on field position coach opportunities (which would seem to play more to his strengths)?

That scenario being Kirk steps down in the next year or two, Wallace gets the head job, and then brings Brian on as his O-line coach.

Only spit-ballin' here, but I wonder if a certain scenario is contributing to Brian taking an analyst gig that likely allows him to stay in Iowa City instead of uprooting his family to chase on field position coach opportunities (which would seem to play more to his strengths)?

That scenario being Kirk steps down in the next year or two, Wallace gets the head job, and then brings Brian on as his O-line coach.
I would be very surprised if BF ever coaches at Iowa again. You can never say never, but things did not end well there.

I tend to agree with NKC on this one, especially as long as Wilson and Goetz are in their current positions. It wouldn't surprise me if BF kept a house here, but coaching here again seems like an extreme long shot. It got really nasty last fall.

I would be very surprised if BF ever coaches at Iowa again. You can never say never, but things did not end well there.
But would you be shocked if Team Ferentz still thinks this is a possibility? (To return as an O-line coach under Wallace in a couple years?). I mean, seems like Kirk was holding onto the notion of Brian still being his successor years after everyone else knew that ship had sailed.

I tend to agree with NKC on this one, especially as long as Wilson and Goetz are in their current positions. It wouldn't surprise me if BF kept a house here, but coaching here again seems like an extreme long shot. It got really nasty last fall.
Do you mean really nasty from the standpoint of fans' vitriol to Brian as OC?

I wonder if Beth and Kirk ever talked about a succession plan or IF Kirk has any say in said plan.

Do you mean really nasty from the standpoint of fans' vitriol to Brian as OC?

The whole situation...fans, media (local and national), internally at UI. It's not one of those situations from which you recover/rebound. You never say never, but I can't see it.

Agree with the others on here there's zero chance of that happening... Zip zero zilch. If it was he woulda just been demoted and it'd have already been done pretty much. He's not coming back with or without KF still at the helm. For all the reasons others have said. Just way too toxic nationally to locally.

And here's the bad part about it I'd take him back in that role over Barnett in a heart beat. An absolute heart beat. As I bet many others would too. The Ferentzs had their chance to shuffle the deck chairs on the Titanic with enough notice to have made a difference. But KF and BF just wouldn't do it... So the decision was made for them.

...much like the NFL, you keep recruiting and bringing in QBs until you find a good one.
It doesn't work like that. In the NFL you have a draft and the playing field is much more level. Guys get chosen and that's where they go. In college the players choose where they go because they want to make the NFL and have the best chance at success, and now money plays a part as well. In the NFL, players with very few exceptions go wherever they can get a contract. Apples and oranges.

I have no idea if Lainez is the guy. None.

But going fishing in the portal for leftovers every year is a much less preferrable option. It won't take too many of those musical quarterback seasons to completely derail this thing to nebraska levels.

I get the concern, but I wouldn't characterize Iowa's dip into the portal for a QB as a state of panic looking for a starter. All positions need a room with enough healthy bodies to establish a roster. Our QB room is tenuous at best, with a presumed starter coming off major injuries with no guarantee of durability, a returning young player with barely any experience, and a true frosh.

I don't see the portal interest as a reflection of the Iowa program. I think any D1 program with that QB room makeup would be in the market for at least an experienced body to add.

It doesn't work like that. In the NFL you have a draft and the playing field is much more level. Guys get chosen and that's where they go. In college the players choose where they go because they want to make the NFL and have the best chance at success, and now money plays a part as well. In the NFL, players with very few exceptions go wherever they can get a contract. Apples and oranges.

I have no idea if Lainez is the guy. None.

But going fishing in the portal for leftovers every year is a much less preferrable option. It won't take too many of those musical quarterback seasons to completely derail this thing to nebraska levels.
So your answer is to go into next season with 3 scholarship QBs? A starter with a glass jaw, a back-up with 7 minutes of mop-up duty experience, and a kid who is going to prom this weekend? Come one.

We all wanted Hill gone. He is. Either of the two QBs that Iowa has spoken with are a clear upgrade at least back-up QB. They need another QB. No question. So, why not get the best one you can get? If Lainez gets beat out and leaves, so be it. Worry about that down the road.

While the process between college and NFL is a bit different (and that difference is getting less and less every year), the premise is the same. You keep running bodies through the QB room until you find a viable candidate. QB is the priority. Every minute of every day.

I wonder if Beth and Kirk ever talked about a succession plan or IF Kirk has any say in said plan.
I think KF will have a voice in his replacement WHEN he hangs them up. I would be shocked if he and Beth have discussed that concept already. He does not seem ready to retire in the next season or two. While he will have a voice, Beth will decide. Given the stability of the program for 40 years, it would not shock me if it is an in-house choice. But again, the AD will make this decision in consult with the donor class I am sure.

Either of the two QBs that Iowa has spoken with are a clear upgrade at least back-up QB
Sullivan would arguably be an upgrade to Hill. The Booty kid...come on...

What are you basing that on? He's never even played D1 football before. He played for a JUCO team that Iowa Western would hang 50 on.
If Lainez gets beat out and leaves, so be it. Worry about that down the road.
Exactly what's gotten nebraska where they're at.

Sullivan would arguably be an upgrade to Hill. The Booty kid...come on...

What are you basing that on? He's never even played D1 football before. He played for a JUCO team that Iowa Western would hang 50 on.

Exactly what's gotten nebraska where they're at.

We absolutely need a camp arm, though. If Lainez gets upset about that and leaves (which he won't because he knows the situation), he was not the QB leader you needed anyway.

I agree that there does not appear to be anyone in the portal who transforms this into a different team. General Booty is 15 spots below Deacon Hill on on3's rankings, and Hill is in the mid 20s for available QBs. Don't waste a lot of resources (scholarship/NIL$), just bring in someone who can stay upright and throw to our WRs in practice.

Latest posts