Zone Blocking

ibahawkeye

Is this still working for us? I read in a Pat Harry article that we haven’t been ranked higher than 49th nationally in rushing since 2009.

Watching the Wisconsin offense and their pulling lineman seemed to just bulldoze our D.

Is it harder for a Defense to know which direction a play is going with those types of run? Wonder if the Hawks could incorporate some of that?

Are other teams still using the zone blocking?

The rushing attack continues to frustrate and is the key to the Iowa offense so I was just curious if the scheme might be part of the issue.

If teams run blitz and we pick it up we can break big plays but obviously we haven't picked it up well at all this year

interesting you start this thread as I just started a thread saying the main thing separating wisky and iowa is rushing attack and using runners as receivers.

we had a decent run game the last two years but not this year. just look at number of rushing tds or lack of this year. I can't answer your question but we don't have any gallery's, Bulaga, or reiffs right now . but we will

Is this still working for us? I read in a Pat Harry article that we haven’t been ranked higher than 49th nationally in rushing since 2009.

Watching the Wisconsin offense and their pulling lineman seemed to just bulldoze our D.

Is it harder for a Defense to know which direction a play is going with those types of run? Wonder if the Hawks could incorporate some of that?

Are other teams still using the zone blocking?

The rushing attack continues to frustrate and is the key to the Iowa offense so I was just curious if the scheme might be part of the issue.

I hate to say it, but the scheme isn't objectively horrible. IMHO, we have taken a major backlside in terms of talent on the o-line. Wisconsin has had several regime changes, but they have an identity. That identity holds almost every year and it is why they can land star RB after star RB. To me the biggest weakness Ferentz has is we'll turn over all or most of a unit one season (e.g., LBs, DL, OL, whatever) and it seems to take like a year or even two before we look like we actually have a D-1 unit at that position again. I know everybody has turnover and growing pains, but looking at the second cut of Big Ten schools like MSU and Wisconsin compared to us, we seem to have the biggest impediment by turnover out of the group.

I think if we had run the ball 90% of the time yesterday and only used a play action Tight End seam pass as the only pass play we would have put up at least 150 yards. The line was so confused in pass blocking that I actually felt bad for those dudes.

The zone blocking scheme Iowa runs is about cohesion, angles and reaching levels. One or two injuries and the whole thing is out of whack. The power run scheme that Wisconsin uses is a hat on hat, straight up mauling the guy in front of you. Even when they pull and trap it is about letting those big ass monsters get out and destroy people. One is about technique and the other is about power and strength.

Imo, it is easier to recruit and develop in Iowa's zone blocking scheme........on the flip side Wisconsin's power run scheme is easier to execute.

Latest posts