Would you rather have had JBO been...

Would you rather have JBO playing this year or next?

• This year

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Next year

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters

SomersHawk

...playing this season or glad we have him for next season, PROVIDED EVERYONE RETURNS?(!)

If he would have been healthy all year we may(?) have won the BT and been top 15 most of the season. More likely to get sweet 16. Still have the CJ and CP issues, as well as JW slump to factor in. And JT probably gets less experience.

Considering those things will be behind us, I voted for next year as he will be a big part of a historically great team. This year is a preparatory year to make that happen and the success this team is having a year ahead of schedule is icing before the cake.

...playing this season or glad we have him for next season, PROVIDED EVERYONE RETURNS?(!)

If he would have been healthy all year we may(?) have won the BT and been top 15 most of the season. More likely to get sweet 16. Still have the CJ and CP issues, as well as JW slump to factor in. And JT probably gets less experience.

Considering those things will be behind us, I voted for next year as he will be a big part of a historically great team. This year is a preparatory year to make that happen and the success this team is having a year ahead of schedule is icing before the cake.
JBo's lack of summer work and lack of mobility coming off the first surgery were painfully evident in the games he did plays. He couldn't move, couldn't cut, his shot was off (which is a big part of his game) and his defense was atrocious even by his standards.

He could not have continued this year at far less than 100%. He did provide leadership, assists, and free throw shooting, but it wouldn't have been enough, and it would have been a sad end to his career. His absence also increased time for Joe T and CJ that will only help them next year.

My thoughts go to "what if Cook had come back?"

For sure LG wouldn't have developed and blossomed.

If everyone returns, next season will be mega-hyped and potentially magical. However there are still going to be question marks all off-season on when Nunge will be back to 100%, what Patrick's status actually is, and if JBO is completely recovered.

Its too bad Iowa's next Euro trip won't be until 2021, this woulda been the perfect year for them to play overseas this summer.

If everyone returns, next season will be mega-hyped and potentially magical. However there are still going to be question marks all off-season on when Nunge will be back to 100%, what Patrick's status actually is, and if JBO is completely recovered.

Its too bad Iowa's next Euro trip won't be until 2021, this woulda been the perfect year for them to play overseas this summer.

There may not be any Euro trips this year. :)

I don't see any reason why Bohannon won't be 100% by summer. Sounds like the 2nd hip is way ahead of schedule compared to the 1st one and he was able to play on the first one 4 or 5 months after having it (not 100% tho). He had this surgery 10 months before next season.

JBo at 100% is the key. He wasn't running at 60% it didn't seem like for most of the 10 games he did play this yr. He was noticeably not himself.
To me next yr with this loaded roster and the flexibility of playing either big or small for stretches of games would make us a nightmare for opponents. I mean come on our starting 5 is sick.
JBo
CJF
JW
Nunge
Garza

You start factoring in JT being a year older CM and his versatility. The Murray Twins will be like 19-20 yr old freshman since they spent this extra yr doing what they are may be more ready to play then we think. Then Patrick McCaffery will his health let him play and to what extent? I mean if he can play holy smokes. Ulis and Perkins may have a tough time sneaking in many mins at all. But Ogundule may get some though backing up our bigs. Depending on how he looks will probably dictate if we play more small or big. Pemsl will still have the off and on mostly minimal impact.

So yeah I'm all in on next yr. Especially if Garza comes back

I am not trying to be a contrarian, but I vote this year. JBo this year makes Iowa what 13-7 in conference play? If Garza returns, Iowa would be really good, regardless if JBo was there or not.

Easy answer is next year. I am worried about the crowded backcourt. I don’t want JoeT to get frustrated playing 20 minutes one game and 5 the next.

JBo at 100% is the key. He wasn't running at 60% it didn't seem like for most of the 10 games he did play this yr. He was noticeably not himself.
To me next yr with this loaded roster and the flexibility of playing either big or small for stretches of games would make us a nightmare for opponents. I mean come on our starting 5 is sick.
JBo
CJF
JW
Nunge
Garza

You start factoring in JT being a year older CM and his versatility. The Murray Twins will be like 19-20 yr old freshman since they spent this extra yr doing what they are may be more ready to play then we think. Then Patrick McCaffery will his health let him play and to what extent? I mean if he can play holy smokes. Ulis and Perkins may have a tough time sneaking in many mins at all. But Ogundule may get some though backing up our bigs. Depending on how he looks will probably dictate if we play more small or big. Pemsl will still have the off and on mostly minimal impact.

So yeah I'm all in on next yr. Especially if Garza comes back

I dont even think thats the starting 5 fran would go with. I think he'd do

JBo
CJF
JW
CMac
Garza

Basically the starting lineup he has right now except substituting JBo for Toussaint. CMac has shown capable of playing the 4-ish.

I voted this year, I feel like we're a couple of players short to be special and considering what else we lose next year and potentially bring back w/ bringing in more guards in the crooting class next season, we could have compensated better.

True. I'm still trying to score cheap ass tickets as a result of the panic.

Europe is now meeting to consider travel restrictions into their country.

Also I wouldn’t want to be the guys that paid hiked up prices for tournament tickets, especially for the final four. They likely will get a refund on original price of ticket but have to eat the hikes up prices they paid.

The hotel and food industry where the tournaments were going to be held are going to suffer huge losses of profits. The cruise ships and airlines are also getting hammered. I have a friend fly on a huge airplane that had only six customers on it.

How’s your 401K doing?

Europe is now meeting to consider travel restrictions into their country.

Also I wouldn’t want to be the guys that paid hiked up prices for tournament tickets, especially for the final four. They likely will get a refund on original price of ticket but have to eat the hikes up prices they paid.

The hotel and food industry where the tournaments were going to be held are going to suffer huge losses of profits. The cruise ships and airlines are also getting hammered. I have a friend fly on a huge airplane that had only six customers on it.

How’s your 401K doing?

I refuse to look at my 401k...maybe once or twice a year.

I said this year, and I'm assuming a healthy JBo, and we could have won the conference. Just three more wins I think. We probable win the Nebby, Penn St, and maybe the Illinoy game with him, maybe more. Next year we might be a different team. We would definitely be playing on Friday with a double bye with a healthy JBo. If the question is a health impaired JBo this year to a healthy JBo next year, than I will have to change my vote.

Last edited:
Next year if you could guarantee that Garza comes back. If not I wish like hell he would have been healthy this year. Weezy really disapointing the last month. Jbo was able to play thru the grab ass that goes on and still score on a bum hip.

I dont even think thats the starting 5 fran would go with. I think he'd do

JBo
CJF
JW
CMac
Garza

Basically the starting lineup he has right now except substituting JBo for Toussaint. CMac has shown capable of playing the 4-ish.
I did think of that but since having Nunge in there was how they started things off this yr just made me think that's kinda what he'd prefer. Bringing CM off the bench doesn't/didn't seem to be an issue. But that said that can change and maybe he'd go small like that. I could certainly see that too

I did think of that but since having Nunge in there was how they started things off this yr just made me think that's kinda what he'd prefer. Bringing CM off the bench doesn't/didn't seem to be an issue. But that said that can change and maybe he'd go small like that. I could certainly see that too

I like the idea of connor dishing assists all over the court to Jbo, Garza, JW and CJF. On paper it sounds lethal AF.

I vote next year since we don't get a post season this year. I wonder if Bohannon is thinking how lucky he is now that he needed surgery?

Latest posts