winning or losing this game doesn't change reality

longtimer

The reality is that the Iowa basketball program will continue for some time to come to be a second tier program. If McCaffrey survives you can expect much of the same. Really this year might be the ceiling for Iowa under McCaffrey. Clearly he can't recruit. Carton was very wise to not consider Iowa and players of Fosters caliber ain't coming to Iowa. So the level of talent isn't going to be upgraded. McCaffrey I think has pretty much proven not to be a top coach at this level. Maybe with a mid major he does a better job with the level of competition?
If we make a coaching change (and I have been in that camp for awhile) we would have a multiple year building process with no assurance that at the end of it we would be much better. So the bottom line is that the Iowa basketball program has been down for 15 years? and will continue to be down for quite a few to come. Not to say we wont have a few high points and win a few big games but we wont contend for championships and certainly wont make the tournament on a regular basis

I'm not going to get down on the players. They undoubtedly feel worse than the fans. They just aren't that good and they just aren't that well coached. I think Cook should stay for another year and get his diploma. Not sure if any of the others have decisions to make? Maybe Conner should concentrate on baseball. Moss if he has his degree as a redshirt could transfer to Drake. I think he would have a lot of success at that talent level. Weiskamp I guess could consider taking a year off and transferring to Wisconsin. He would really be good in their system but I doubt he will

Oh well I assume we lose in the first round of the Big Ten tournament and drop to a 9 or 10 seed? maybe even 11. Syracuse was an 11 last year and actually won a couple games. That's as good as it gets

This cant be the ceiling because he's already had better years.

That’s subjective. They may have had better records but the conference this year is a bear. Talent wise this was probably his best team thus far. The competition is just steeper this year.

It’s unexplainable why he is still here after ten years and no real success to talk about. As you once posted he has finished in third place once. In ten years third place is acceptable???

Barta is a parasite to the sports program. The contracts he has signed for both football and basketball are off the rails. Fans are left to accept that we are just little ole Iowa and we can’t do better and don’t deserve better. Barta if you are reading this “fuk you”.

This cant be the ceiling because he's already had better years.

Not really. They've won 21 this year. There were two other years where they won 22. One more win.. That's really splitting hairs. And they might tie that number on Thursday anyway. Or if they win any other postseason game.

There was the 25 win season but it took 4 straight NIT wins to get to that number.

So gonna have to disagree - We can debate which of Fran's teams was "best" but the results have been about the same this year as those other years.

Other teams were better in conference but this year had a better non-con.

That’s subjective. They may have had better records but the conference this year is a bear. Talent wise this was probably his best team thus far. The competition is just steeper this year.

It’s unexplainable why he is still here after ten years and no real success to talk about. As you once posted he has finished in third place once. In ten years third place is acceptable???

Barta is a parasite to the sports program. The contracts he has signed for both football and basketball are off the rails. Fans are left to accept that we are just little ole Iowa and we can’t do better and don’t deserve better. Barta if you are reading this “fuk you”.
Third place twice. In 9 years. At least half of the programs in the conference would have kept him with this same resume if they started where he started. The issue isnt that he's still here. The issue is the buyout insinuating he's doing great.

Not really. They've won 21 this year. There were two other years where they won 22. One more win.. That's really splitting hairs. And they might tie that number on Thursday anyway. Or if they win any other postseason game.

There was the 25 win season but it took 4 straight NIT wins to get to that number.

So gonna have to disagree - We can debate which of Fran's teams was "best" but the results have been about the same this year as those other years.

Other teams were better in conference but this year had a better non-con.
He's had 2 7 seeds. He won't be close to that this year. He needs to win 2 games in both tournaments for this to be his best year.

And his ceiling is all about the players he has. Wieskamp is going to be the best hawkeye in a long time. His junior or senior year will probably be Fran's ceiling.

He's had 2 7 seeds. He won't be close to that this year. He needs to win 2 games in both tournaments for this to be his best year.

And his ceiling is all about the players he has. Wieskamp is going to be the best hawkeye in a long time. His junior or senior year will probably be Fran's ceiling.

Fair point on the seeding, but I wouldn't say the 25 win season was his best year. Like I said, that was an NIT team. The win total looked good because they went deep into the NIT.

If I had to vote, I'd probably say Uthoff, Woodbury and Gesell's senior year was his best, but with another late year meltdown, it was basically a different dog with the same fleas as this year's team. More talent and experience than this team? IMO, yes.

As for the future - we'll see. It'll depend on what Wieskamp has around him. It's pretty hard to project 2-3 years out.

Iowa currently sits at 41 in the KenPom behind Penn State.

Iowa 2014: 22
Iowa 2015: 23
Iowa 2016: 23

By that metric this is Fran’s 4th best team.

I would take all those teams over this current team. When people say “talent” they are leaving out the defensive end of the floor, where nearly this entire teams struggles.

This is the most talented offensive team sure, but not the best team Fran has had.

Third place twice. In 9 years. At least half of the programs in the conference would have kept him with this same resume if they started where he started. The issue isnt that he's still here. The issue is the buyout insinuating he's doing great.
Fair point on the seeding, but I wouldn't say the 25 win season was his best year. Like I said, that was an NIT team. The win total looked good because they went deep into the NIT.

If I had to vote, I'd probably say Uthoff, Woodbury and Gesell's senior year was his best, but with another late year meltdown, it was basically a different dog with the same fleas as this year's team. More talent and experience than this team? IMO, yes.

As for the future - we'll see. It'll depend on what Wieskamp has around him. It's pretty hard to project 2-3 years out.

We already know what Wieskamp will have around him. After ten years people don’t know? After five years I wanted Alford gone
Iowa currently sits at 41 in the KenPom behind Penn State.

Iowa 2014: 22
Iowa 2015: 23
Iowa 2016: 23

By that metric this is Fran’s 4th best team.

I would take all those teams over this current team. When people say “talent” they are leaving out the defensive end of the floor, where nearly this entire teams struggles.

This is the most talented offensive team sure, but not the best team Fran has had.

If true that means we are digressing as a program. That means contract extensions and pay raises in Barta’s world. I think he still thinks he is at the University of Wyoming except with what seems endlessly deep pockets for coaches.

That pig is smiling because it secretly signed a pay raise and extension with Barca
6d0188a8ef913b22536ac39cec55e6b7.jpg

That's Some PAY RAISE!!!!!

Latest posts