William Lowe files Rhabdo lawsuit

Being the only kid who left the team this isn't surprising. I figured it would happen with him sooner or later, but I didn't think it would take this long.

I'm not going to criticize his decision because I don't know how much damage was done to his kidneys. If he had a significant amount of damage that did end up having an impact on his ability to ball or even live a normal life then I totally understand. Don't blame the kid one bit if this is what happened.

On the flip side, it didn't look like he was going to see any playing time at Iowa. If he's perfectly fine health wise, and he left the team because he saw this as a way to earn a big check then it tells you a lot about what he and his family are about.

What happened was unacceptable. It was a fluke incident, but no matter how you dice it up it was unacceptable. However, every other kid who was affected by the rhabdo incident got themselves healthy and then they got back to work. Maybe Lowe's health was impacted more so than anyone else. If that's the case, then as I said earlier, I understand this situation. Unfortunately in today's society you just never know when someone is trying to collect a paycheck.

So if a wheel falls off a semi, hits your windshield and causes damage to car and bodily harm, you wouldn't sue/seek reimbursement?! Its a fluke incident!

Of course you would. His kidneys are not as they were before this incident took place. Therefor, Iowa was pay to make him "whole" again. In this case, treatment of kidneys or other bodily damages until they are back to similar status before said incident takes place.

Being the only kid who left the team this isn't surprising. I figured it would happen with him sooner or later, but I didn't think it would take this long.

I'm not going to criticize his decision because I don't know how much damage was done to his kidneys. If he had a significant amount of damage that did end up having an impact on his ability to ball or even live a normal life then I totally understand. Don't blame the kid one bit if this is what happened.

On the flip side, it didn't look like he was going to see any playing time at Iowa. If he's perfectly fine health wise, and he left the team because he saw this as a way to earn a big check then it tells you a lot about what he and his family are about.

What happened was unacceptable. It was a fluke incident, but no matter how you dice it up it was unacceptable. However, every other kid who was affected by the rhabdo incident got themselves healthy and then they got back to work. Maybe Lowe's health was impacted more so than anyone else. If that's the case, then as I said earlier, I understand this situation. Unfortunately in today's society you just never know when someone is trying to collect a paycheck.

Great post. Agree with you. Unfortunately, we live in a society where if we are wronged, we expect something for it.

Great post. Agree with you. Unfortunately, we live in a society where if we are wronged, we expect something for it.

Good point, people should be doormats. The people in charge should be able to wrong whoever they goddamn please whenever they goddamn please. If William Lowe was a real American he should have grown some balls and been a starter. If William Lowe was a real American he definitely wouldn't have gotten Rhabdo. Only goddamn women and children get Rhabdo.

Ya didn't see the goddamn Injins file a lawsuit when we marched em' down the trail of Tears. Goddamn youth these days. Pussification of America.

Depending on the damages incurred and negligence of the parties involved, this is not an unfortunate thing. People should be held responsible if they have damaged others.

* Speaking in generalities, not necessarily to the particulars of Lowe's case, however. Could be legit, could be a money grab.

Good point, people should be doormats. The people in charge should be able to wrong whoever they goddamn please whenever they goddamn please. If William Lowe was a real American he should have grown some balls and been a starter. If William Lowe was a real American he definitely wouldn't have gotten Rhabdo. Only goddamn women and children get Rhabdo.

Ya didn't see the goddamn Injins file a lawsuit when we marched em' down the trail of Tears. Goddamn youth these days. Pussification of America.

When you sign up to play sports, you sign a lengthy waiver promising not to sue the promoters and school if you get injured during your participation in these sports. Of course, as a policy matter the court system will not let someone hide behind a waiver in a case of gross negligence or intentional malfeasance. I don't personally think Doyle was grossly negligent here, probably just negligent in failing to realize Ferentz has recruited a bunch of pantywaists who couldn't handle the workout that guys a few years prior could handle.

Good post. The one thing I'd quibble with is that it isn't that odd that they waited this long to file suit. Two reasons for this: (1) Usually, before a suit is filed, there is a demand issued and negotiations about settling the matter before a formal lawsuit is filed. (2) In these types of personal injury claims, lawyers often wait it out as long as possible to get as much of the needed medical expenses out there. It is easier to prove damages for past medical expenses rather than estimated future medical expenses.

I don't think every team did the work out. As I understand it from one of players that did this work out. Every player did it at some point while at Iowa. This player said is was the hardest workout he ever did. But he felt if you prepared as instructed. Be and stay hydrated that shouldn't have a problem. The guys wont say much about each other But I got the feeling some may not have prepared. I know this guy roomed with one who got it.

I still don't get how this happened? Maybe too much creatine and not enough water?

Dehydration combined with a very intense workout. There was a rumor that a lot of the players partied the night before the workout. Which if this is true could certainly help explain the abnormal level of dehydration. I have no idea if that was true or not though.

Water sustains muscle tissue. If you are working out and you are dehydrated then your body can start to break down muscle tissue and consume it in order to survive. That's basically what happened. Their dehydration levels, combined with an extremely intense workout caused their bodies to start breaking down and eating it's own muscle tissue. Obviously not a good thing. When muscle tissue breaks down it releases muscle fibers (myoglobin) into the bloodstream. Your blood is filtered through your kidneys, and when this muscle fiber is in the bloodstream it can be very harmful to the kidneys and result in kidney damage. That's why the players said their pee was dark. They were seeing the myoglobin in their urine.

Good post. The one thing I'd quibble with is that it isn't that odd that they waited this long to file suit. Two reasons for this: (1) Usually, before a suit is filed, there is a demand issued and negotiations about settling the matter before a formal lawsuit is filed. (2) In these types of personal injury claims, lawyers often wait it out as long as possible to get as much of the needed medical expenses out there. It is easier to prove damages for past medical expenses rather than estimated future medical expenses.

Thanks for the insight. I figured they were probably just covering their bases, but I had no idea why it would take as long as it did.

Before everyone starts beating the drums of their own political agendas, (how/why you made this political is beyond me) lets see the facts first. OK?

One case is a "fluke." 12 at the same time is not a fluke, especially for an infrequent problem like rhabdo (it's not the common cold). I have no idea what Lowe's story is or if he's just looking for money, but given the infrequency of rhabdo, common sense says something was going down.

One case is a "fluke." 12 at the same time is not a fluke, especially for an infrequent problem like rhabdo (it's not the common cold). I have no idea what Lowe's story is or if he's just looking for money, but given the infrequency of rhabdo, common sense says something was going down.

13*

I wouldn't have a problem if some people sued Ferentz for damages for the awful public relations in the aftermath of the event either.

I still don't get how this happened? Maybe too much creatine and not enough water?

Extremely difficult workout the first day after a 3 week break of any scheduled workout seems to be a major factor and is the only thing different from the previous times the workout was done with no issues.

Well in terms of the history of other reported Rhabdo cases you are correct. The fact it happened to 13 players suggests two things:

1. The workout was probably too intense. Whether or not other players completed it in the past without incident. I think it's fair to say any workout that causes rhabdo in more than one or two players is absolutely too intense. Even the biggest apologist can't argue with that. It is unacceptable for something like this to happen to that many players.

2. Obviously the players who were affected were not prepared for this kind of workout. They weren't in good enough shape, and they certainly weren't hydrated properly.

In hindsight I would guess the coaches involved would readily admit the above two points if you were talking to them off the record, and outside of pending litigation. They pushed the kids too hard, and clearly a decent segment of the team wasn't prepared for it. The blame for that falls on both the players and the coaches.

I think it's important to note that anyone who actually knows KF and his staff, and isn't simply trying to badmouth them would know with 100% certainty that they never ever would wish harm upon their players. They didn't do this intentionally. They did an intense workout that they had done in the past and their players weren't prepared for it. It's really as simple as that. I'm sure the majority of the players who were hospitalized understood none of it was intentional. They were only trying to make them better. They just took it a step too far.

Obviously, in William Lowe's case he either suffered more damage than the other guys or he's simply taking advantage of an opportunity. It's a lose/lose situation. I'm sure the U of I just wants it to go away, and I'm guessing they tried to settle outside of court. I could be wrong, but the fact they didn't come to an agreement outside of court suggests to me that Lowe and his family are probably asking for quite a bit.

Latest posts