Will Iowa stay #5?

Remember folks, PSU isn’t critical to winning the West. Wisconsin is.

That’s the team we should be concerned with. Especially since they’ll have the biggest chips on their shoulders for Iowa in recent history.

The ratings usually has a way of working itself out. Not really worried if Iowa moves up or down this week. As for Maryland, this game feels like an ambush to me. Friday night, 40,000 drunk turtle fans making that atmosphere a rocking environment. Riley Moss gets caught peeking into the backfield a couple times, Petras throws a couple interceptions and Iowa spends the whole game chasing points.

It wouldn't surprise me if they lost to Maryland and beat PSU.

Indiana and ISU have both lost again and will drop out of the rankings. That makes Iowa's resume less impressive.

On the other hand, Texas A&M lost. Clemson lost. PSU's resume took a hit too with Wiscy losing and Auburn struggling. Oklahoma also struggled.

The only teams I could see making a big jump is Arkansas or Notre Dame.

Lets call it all a wash. IOWA will probably stay at #5. We will find out for real if Iowa deserves it in the next few weeks.

I would think that we will stay pretty close to where we #5. The rankings are fun but don’t mean much right now. Just win baby. We have flaws but most teams do. If we’re tied going into half time I like our chances. Phil seems to be shutting the opposition down in the second half. It seems to me like he’s been doing that for the most part for a few years. I don’t know if I can remember us having a better defense. It gives us a fighting chance every week. Call me crazy but I’m beginning to like Petras. The offensive line is our weakest part. If that makes significant improvements then we’re in business. Enjoy being 4-0. It could end Friday.

I hate to say it, but I feel more like a fake ID team this year than I did back in 2015 when Cowherd called us out. This is the worst offensive team I can remember (I'm only 28 so I don't have too much history, but still). I'd feel a whole hell of a lot better if we were hanging around 12-15 and a smaller target on our back.

Last edited:
I agree with all above....ratings will sort themselves out in the end. But, the counterpoint is, ratings do matter week to week depending on what you want to accomplish with them. If the team's goal is also to reach the playoffs, then any drops can matter. Though if they keep winning they will be up there.

One thing is for sure, Iowa lacked style points the last couple of weeks....and backups did not get extensive minutes to help aid in their progression.

Really I thought Iowa's offensive was ranked 10th in Big, the CSU game must have really jumped us up the ladder.......

Who cares. Iowa has a D worthy of number 1. The O is maybe the worst in P5. The kicking game is top 20. Probably good for about 12 overall with the possibility of winning every game left or losing a bunch.

PSU is not that good. OSU is maybe beatable. The 2 games that are real concerns are NW and Nebrasksa, both visiting games against teams who have a chip on the shoulder about Iowa. Iowa out of the playoffs is dependent on those 2 games. Lose one of those and it's over.

Remember folks, PSU isn’t critical to winning the West. Wisconsin is.

That’s the team we should be concerned with. Especially since they’ll have the biggest chips on their shoulders for Iowa in recent history.
Don't see that. Wisky beats Iowa with fundamental football. NW has the chip.

Latest posts