Will A.J. Espenesa redshirt

docholihawk

A.J. Espenesa is one of the most highly rated recruits in the nation. It's not often we get a recruit of his caliber. I'm wondering if some of the posters on here who knows the ins and outs of recruits and what they need in order to play right away or if they need to spend a year with coach Doyle. Anybody have any insight into this, thanks.

I will say this. If he's the best at the position as a FR, then he needs to play. If he really is as talented as folks say (it is an overwhelming opinion) then he's good enough to let him learn on the job. But if he isn't legitimately on the 2-deep, then give him the opportunity to RS. It should be his choice. Something tells me he will be able to at least make the 2-deeps as a FR.

He's not on campus yet. I don't think other coaches are going to layoff recruiting him. Remember that O-lineman who went to Alabama.

I remember a freshman DE shredded the Hawks in a bowl game not long ago. AJ looks to be big and fast enough to contribute right away. I say no redshirt.

Way too early... Iowa has the Nelsons that will still be there. Hesse will have had a lot of experience by then. Not to mention the 4 or however any other kids arriving this year and how all of them will look. If had to bet today I'd guess he would RS. And if that were to happen it'd be a great thing for everyone.

Either play him significant snaps or redshirt him. I can't speak for other teams, but it feels like Iowa wastes redshirts. Seems like we hear about a freshman impressing and then they just see limited action on special teams. While the coaches say this gives them an edge for the next year.....it seems we waste the talent.

The three players I wish we had redshirted were Keenan Davis and CJF, and Tate

All three would have been more than welcomed for their RS Senior year. 2007 doesn't happen with Tate. Davis and CJF would have been huge weapons for us their 5th year.

So long story, I'd hate to see EJ freshman year on special teams.

Either play him significant snaps or redshirt him. I can't speak for other teams, but it feels like Iowa wastes redshirts. Seems like we hear about a freshman impressing and then they just see limited action on special teams. While the coaches say this gives them an edge for the next year.....it seems we waste the talent.

The three players I wish we had redshirted were Keenan Davis and CJF, and Tate

All three would have been more than welcomed for their RS Senior year. 2007 doesn't happen with Tate. Davis and CJF would have been huge weapons for us their 5th year.

So long story, I'd hate to see EJ freshman year on special teams.

^^This^^

Please please please don't waste a year by having the kid run up and down the field on special teams. aka CJ Fiedorowicz

That guy is a freak athlete. He will be more athletic than any other player we have on the field.
And you cant have a reputation of sitting 5* athletes.

That guy is a freak athlete. He will be more athletic than any other player we have on the field.
And you cant have a reputation of sitting 5* athletes.

CORRECT! 5* players are expected to contribute - at their respective positions - immediately. That's why they're 5* and, partially, how the rankings curve is set.

It's very STUPID to sit 5* players.

at the very least get him in on pass rush and special teams. He probably won't grasp the entire play book or have the strength and technique yet to play a lot but do not waste your athletic guys on the bench, especially when the raider package needs a REAL pass rushing threat to keep pressure on one of the opposing OTs and maybe demand a double team..........one less guy catching a pass = a good thing. Special teams can always use fast, big guys who are like radar guided missiles but are smart enough to stay in their lanes.

at the very least get him in on pass rush and special teams. He probably won't grasp the entire play book or have the strength and technique yet to play a lot but do not waste your athletic guys on the bench, especially when the raider package needs a REAL pass rushing threat to keep pressure on one of the opposing OTs and maybe demand a double team..........one less guy catching a pass = a good thing. Special teams can always use fast, big guys who are like radar guided missiles but are smart enough to stay in their lanes.

This is one that's always made me crazy. It's widely known that IOWA runs simple schemes, particularly on defense. So why can't we get young talent on the field when other programs seem to have no problem doing so? It's not too complicated elsewhere...why here? I maintain that it's Kirk's preference for risk management (or the perception of it) over playmaking.

Yep. If we have an obvious passing down, bring him in to do his thing. Does he need to be out there every snap, nope. Odds are he'll probably be a bit of a liability against the run early on, but he'd probably learn quickly.

I have no faith in our coaching staff though. Yes, they went 12-0, Rose Bowl....but I still feel like there are some serious scheme issues with KF football. His schemes tend to work better when he has strong leadership from the players, and a talent at QB, or equivalent talent on D

Latest posts