Wiegers vs. Stanley

guffus

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...f/2018/10/eastern_michigan_qb_named_mac_1.amp

I know what is done, is done and you can't change things. But still you got to wonder if the Iowa coaches should have extended the competition between Stanley and Wiegers into the 2017 regular season.

Wiegers so far in 2018, while playing for Eastern Michigan, has been named MAC West offensive player of week 4 times! Plus a completion rate of 66% . Although he has not been perfect, you got to wonder what he would have been doing if he was starting for Iowa the last 2 years.

Ehhhhh the level of competition is really low in the MAC. Stanley has shown he can put up numbers against mediocre competition.

I'd be curious to hear what Rudock has to say about the coaching he received from Iowa. Off the record of course.

I’d imagine it would be very positive. He should be very happy. The Iowa coaches stuck with him a year longer than they should have. I would have pulled the plug on him even earlier, after the Wisconson loss in 2013 it would have been CJs team good, bad, or ugly.

I’d imagine it would be very positive. He should be very happy. The Iowa coaches stuck with him a year longer than they should have. I would have pulled the plug on him even earlier, after the Wisconson loss in 2013 it would have been CJs team good, bad, or ugly.
Why did he play so much better for Harbaugh?

If you look at JRs season at Michigan, he put up great numbers in an OT game at Indiana (6 of his 20 TDs). He threw 9 picks that year, nearly double what he threw at Iowa in 2014.

Outside of that game he looked very much like the QB we saw at Iowa. Average at best, safe QB who knew the playbook but had next to zero ability to create off-script

If you look at JRs season at Michigan, he put up great numbers in an OT game at Indiana (6 of his 20 TDs). He threw 9 picks that year, nearly double what he threw at Iowa in 2014.

Outside of that game he looked very much like the QB we saw at Iowa. Average at best, safe QB who knew the playbook but had next to zero ability to create off-script
Surrounded by a much more talented team, while simultaneously not handing off to a FB 70% of the time.

I think Iowa laid a very good foundation for Rudock, like they have for many of their quarterbacks. As others have said, part of doing better at Michigan was superior athletes around him. Harbaugh did do a better job molding Rudock into an offensive weapon.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...f/2018/10/eastern_michigan_qb_named_mac_1.amp

I know what is done, is done and you can't change things. But still you got to wonder if the Iowa coaches should have extended the competition between Stanley and Wiegers into the 2017 regular season.

Wiegers so far in 2018, while playing for Eastern Michigan, has been named MAC West offensive player of week 4 times! Plus a completion rate of 66% . Although he has not been perfect, you got to wonder what he would have been doing if he was starting for Iowa the last 2 years.

Two different teams. Two different coaching staff and probably styles. It isn't the first time a transferred QB from Iowa has done well at a different school.

There's a running quarterback that has shared time with Wiegers, in part because the Eastern Michigan's offensive line is bad even by MAC standards. They've given up 24 sacks so far.

It's rather obvious to the objective person that a Ferentz coaching staff doesn't do all that great of a job coaching quarterbacks. Same situation with WRs. Every other position seems to be very well-coached, however.

It's not the same type of deal, but take Fran McCaffery for example. He does a pretty swell job coaching offense, but doesn't know his head from his ass when it comes to defense. I guess he brought in a defensive expert this summer though.

Maybe Kirk should've looked outside his coaching tree for a QB coach, instead of hiring an old friend. Then again, we all know Kirk is a rather nepotistic person.

Fire away Ferentz groupies!

All the coaching in the world wouldn't have solved his weakass arm
But somehow, Harbaugh made it work. At Iowa, Rudock wouldn't pass to extremely wide open receivers running post routes. At Michigan, all his hesitations disappeared. There's something about Iowa's program that holds back quarterbacks.

It's rather obvious to the objective person that a Ferentz coaching staff doesn't do all that great of a job coaching quarterbacks. Same situation with WRs. Every other position seems to be very well-coached, however.

It's not the same type of deal, but take Fran McCaffery for example. He does a pretty swell job coaching offense, but doesn't know his head from his ass when it comes to defense. I guess he brought in a defensive expert this summer though.

Maybe Kirk should've looked outside his coaching tree for a QB coach, instead of hiring an old friend. Then again, we all know Kirk is a rather nepotistic person.

It's essential in life to understand what you're good at, and more importantly, what you're not.

But somehow, Harbaugh made it work. At Iowa, Rudock wouldn't pass to extremely wide open receivers running post routes. At Michigan, all his hesitations disappeared. There's something about Iowa's program that holds back quarterbacks.

Well it's probably the fact that if you don't connect on a pass, they won't dial one up again until after you've punted and it's the next offensive series.

Well ok.

Let's rattle them off and see what we think.

Scott Mullen. He inherited him but he stunk.
McCann. Eh... I'm sure his parents are proud
Banks. Stud wish we had got him from the git go he developed beautifully around the talent that team had.
Chandler. Really wasn't that bad considering who he was and what he had to work with. But a pro he was not.
Tate. Stud college QB with some ups and downs had a journeyman career in Canada which was probably his ceiling as a pro.
JC... Not wasting more internet ink on him
Stanzi. Great college QB won big games teammates loved him. Had a sip of a cup of coffee in the NFL didn't develop past that never took a snap in a regular season game
Vandenburg. Greg Davis owes this kid more than an apology. Thought the kid may have had 'it' Davis destroyed what could have maybe been more with him.
Rudock Was ok. Not great. Not terrible. With weapons around him and a running game could play smart but dude just never wanted to look deep. Had a cup of coffee with Lions. Saw they kept Cassel over him to start this season and haven't heard anything about him since if he's on practice squad there or anywhere else.
Beathard Would have been nice to see how he may have developed if he'd have played sooner. Everything you'd want in a college Qb. At times he holds the ball too long and tries to play hero ball taking hits he shouldn't. Lucky he wasn't hurt more than he was at times. He's playing for the 49ers with less than stellar results so far due to injury to Jimmy G. The talent around him pretty much stinks besides Kittle and Goodwin on O. Would like to see how he'd do with a better overall team around him. Rest of career is TBD...

Latest posts