Wide receivers

smhawk

Really was happy to see Riley come up with that touchdown, was not expecting him to make that play.

While some good effort, iowa is severely weak at wr position. It's frustrating we can get decent players at te, dbs, and rbs, but we seem to be behind many non power 5 teams in wr recruiting. Even when it was a "focus" for improvement three seasons ago.

Secondly what is with having slower plays attempt double moves? Why not just rely on the qb that is a strength not throwing to routes jumped. The tes are constantly breaking now faking direction and by the time theyre at the passing window almost six seconds have expired.

Happy to see the run game get going even if it was isu, but our passing scheme just never makes sense to me. Our play action seems to come out of fake runs at an angel that looks nothing similar to our common called runs. At least kok got that right.

Happy for win, but know im gonna in for frustration if i expect even moderate offense success in big ten.

It seems like we only send 1 wr and a te out on a decent amount of pass plays. Which leaves 3 or 4 defensive players to cover only two receivers

I think my issue is the swing pass to Vandeberg. He's not a play maker type WR that you just try to get in space. He's a possession receiver and he proves tonight he isn't too shabby at that so don't try to be something your not.

I think my issue is the swing pass to Vandeberg. He's not a play maker type WR that you just try to get in space. He's a possession receiver and he proves tonight he isn't too shabby at that so don't try to be something your not.

Vandenburg had a good game... but make no mistake about it playmakers at the WR/TE position is a glaring hole on this team at the moment.

It will help when Duzey gets back... but we are really lacking speed (even worse then our usual lack).

Vendeberg probably gets too much flack because he's white. Including from me. He definitely deserves a spot on the team.

I definitely wasn't a Vandeberg fan last season, especially with his punt returning. With that said he showed today that he has a lot of value as a possession receiver. He had some nice grabs on third down to keep drives going. Hopefully we will continue to play to his strengths.

Yeah nothing wrong with Vandeberg. He'd probably be a solid WR2 on other Big10 teams, at worst great slot guy. When is Duzey expected back?

Really was happy to see Riley come up with that touchdown, was not expecting him to make that play.

While some good effort, iowa is severely weak at wr position. It's frustrating we can get decent players at te, dbs, and rbs, but we seem to be behind many non power 5 teams in wr recruiting. Even when it was a "focus" for improvement three seasons ago.

Secondly what is with having slower plays attempt double moves? Why not just rely on the qb that is a strength not throwing to routes jumped. The tes are constantly breaking now faking direction and by the time theyre at the passing window almost six seconds have expired.

Happy to see the run game get going even if it was isu, but our passing scheme just never makes sense to me. Our play action seems to come out of fake runs at an angel that looks nothing similar to our common called runs. At least kok got that right.

Happy for win, but know im gonna in for frustration if i expect even moderate offense success in big ten.

Severely weak? I would definitely disagree, we have 4 WR touchdowns after 2 games in an offense that is build for a rung game and geared towards getting the TE's the ball. Tavon and MVB are both very capable big ten receivers. We have had Hillyer step up with some big plays in the first game and McCarron stepping up for the go ahead TD on a fantastic catch. We have some young talent coming with Scheel, Jerminic Smith, and Emmanuel Ogwo. All players whose names you may be hearing quite a bit next year with an expeinced CJB coming back. All in all, I am certainly pleased with the play thus far of our wide-outs this year. They have found ways to score and help relieve pressure on the running game thus far. Our TE's have yet to get a TD and really haven't made much of an impact thus far in the passing game. With from what I have witnessed as pretty good run blocking as well, I guess I just am wondering what else can they honestly due to impress you?

There is a little discrimination going on here too. People assume (white people) that because the majority of Iowa's receivers are white......they are slow. And they are not. I think that their lack of separation is due more to the passing schemes than the personnel.

I'd say when Iowa needed to make a play, Vandeberg did quite well.

MV%20Catch.gif

I'd like to see Jerminic Smith get some of Hillyer's reps. Send as much speed down field as possible. Would like to see some 15-20 yard out and flag patterns. Screw horizontal--Screw it!..screw it to the depths of Hades. Can't wait to have Duzey and Kittle back. Send all that talent down the field at once and give CJ his choice. Getting receivers down field will also open things up for Canzeri in the event of check down...allows him space and the ability to juke at full speed.

Last edited:
Severely weak? I would definitely disagree, we have 4 WR touchdowns after 2 games in an offense that is build for a rung game and geared towards getting the TE's the ball. Tavon and MVB are both very capable big ten receivers. We have had Hillyer step up with some big plays in the first game and McCarron stepping up for the go ahead TD on a fantastic catch. We have some young talent coming with Scheel, Jerminic Smith, and Emmanuel Ogwo. All players whose names you may be hearing quite a bit next year with an expeinced CJB coming back. All in all, I am certainly pleased with the play thus far of our wide-outs this year. They have found ways to score and help relieve pressure on the running game thus far. Our TE's have yet to get a TD and really haven't made much of an impact thus far in the passing game. With from what I have witnessed as pretty good run blocking as well, I guess I just am wondering what else can they honestly due to impress you?

My concerned is based on the talent that defended them. You cant reference stats that came against fcs and a bottom big12 team to provide a realistic outlook for the season going forward. Theres no speed, no wideouts can out jump average athletic defenders. While pass blocking needs improvement much of cjs issue with feeling pressure was due to coverages, consistently they were very well covered. As in almost every play of the first half vs isu.

Watch michigan, youll see almost all four of their wrs are on another level of athleticism than iowas recievers.

I like some of the potential of the players not ready you listed, but the weakness has been stated by greg davis in 2012-13. Willies pry would have helped some if he was a smarter player.

I am getting a feeling that we will see some more of the younger recievers this weekend.

IASU's DBs were much improved this year. MSU good - no not even close, but mid-lower Big Ten good - yes.

Last edited:
Vendeberg probably gets too much flack because he's white. Including from me. He definitely deserves a spot on the team.

He gets flak because how many white receivers do you see in the NFL? Jordy Nelson, Erik Decker and who else right now? It's just natural to think less of him as a receiver when you see the landscape of the NFL, it's a natural reaction, though he definitely deserves a spot on the team. Just keeping it real, brah.

He gets flak because how many white receivers do you see in the NFL? Jordy Nelson, Erik Decker and who else right now? It's just natural to think less of him as a receiver when you see the landscape of the NFL, it's a natural reaction, though he definitely deserves a spot on the team. Just keeping it real, brah.

only reason i know this is because i am a cowboys fan - but cole beasley is a good wr - let's just forget about that fumble..... :)

I think some of the criticism was valid guys weren't getting open, weren't getting separation. JR wasn't exactly a guy who threw with anticipation or can throw a guy open. Having a QB that can do that makes a huge difference.

Latest posts