Wide Receivers still a major concern

ibahawkeye

Our leading WR is a walk on with 326 yards on the year which is ranked 166th in NCAA. The freshman are seeing the field some but other than ISM vs ISU game, they haven't made much impact at all. It makes me nervous about the WR position even in the near future because I don't recall many WR really progressing throughout their careers as Hawkeyes.

It was more of the DJK, McNutt, KMM all played as fresh/sophs. Am I missing good examples of some WR that struggled early but developed into really good receiving threats?

Do we have some more good WR recruits coming in?

Our leading WR is a walk on with 326 yards on the year which is ranked 166th in NCAA. The freshman are seeing the field some but other than ISM vs ISU game, they haven't made much impact at all. It makes me nervous about the WR position even in the near future because I don't recall many WR really progressing throughout their careers as Hawkeyes.

It was more of the DJK, McNutt, KMM all played as fresh/sophs. Am I missing good examples of some WR that struggled early but developed into really good receiving threats?

Do we have some more good WR recruits coming in?
Did McNutt and KMM struggle early? Honest question. I don’t remember.

Yes McNutt spent time at Qb. KMM had his 2nd best year as a Frosh, not much behind his Jr year.

McNutt came in as a qb. I don't remember his progression as a wr.

Soph: 34 catches, 674 yds, 8 TDs
JR: 53, 861, 8
SR: 82, 1,315, 12

Granted his numbers got better so that could be viewed as development but my point was more he was an impact player to begin with.

I'm not seeing impact players other than ISM in 1 game.

This is what happens when you get MAC level talent to play in the B1G. No, there really is no help on the way either. If I were Ivory Kelly-Martin or Toren Young, I might start practicing running into a brick wall over and over again.

This is what happens when you get MAC level talent to play in the B1G. No, there really is no help on the way either. If I were Ivory Kelly-Martin or Toren Young, I might start practicing running into a brick wall over and over again.

Funny you state this. When recruiting a player, you ever notice the list of other schools offers to the player along with Iowa, especially close to when the player verbally commits?

I think the young WR's on the roster have a lot of promise. The only guy I can remember playing well as a true freshman WR here was Dominique Douglas. I'd be more concerned if they'd been in the program for a year or two and haven't shown improvement from technical and physical standpoints.

Funny you state this. When recruiting a player, you ever notice the list of other schools offers to the player along with Iowa, especially close to when the player verbally commits?
You mean like
Northern Illinois, Illinois, Ball State and Idaho. I've seen this many times.

Soph: 34 catches, 674 yds, 8 TDs
JR: 53, 861, 8
SR: 82, 1,315, 12

Granted his numbers got better so that could be viewed as development but my point was more he was an impact player to begin with.

I'm not seeing impact players other than ISM in 1 game.

His numbers say otherwise at this point, but I believe Noah Fant will be an impact receiver at TE. (sorry had to mention this, I know this thread is about the WR position.)

Latest posts