Why the weird season favors Iowa

NorthKCHawk

I would posit that the lack of crowds and general wonkiness of this season is going to favor Iowa for two reasons:

1) We are a very veteran squad, and more experienced teams tend to deal with headwinds and adversity better than youngsters. Relatedly, the chemistry appears about as good as it gets. By all accounts, these kids all get along, we have strong leaders on the floor, they all seem to still like Fran, and they seem to have a selfless attitude built around winning. Those traits will aid in working through all of the issues teams will face this year.

2) The lack of crowds will all but eliminate home court advantage, thus, the best team will win most nights. Having sat through the last two games in Lincoln and watched woefully less talented Nebraska team beat Iowa on the backs of 16k screaming Bugeater fans, we all know that a home crowd can spur a lesser team to victory. That will not be much of a factor this year. Of course, the same is true of Iowa not having a home court advantage, but rarely will we be the lesser team this year. The team with the most talent that executes the best should win, and that favors Iowa.

I agree with most of what you say. But man I just think it's too bad this group won't have a packed CHA to play in either. Can you imagine how rocking that place would be this year? So as much of an advantage it is on the road for the under dog I'd say it'd only amplify how much tougher it'd be for an opponent to come into our house too. It is what it is though. I hope we can just outscore folks and keep our foot on the gas every game.

I would posit that the lack of crowds and general wonkiness of this season is going to favor Iowa for two reasons:

2) The lack of crowds will all but eliminate home court advantage, thus, the best team will win most nights. Having sat through the last two games in Lincoln and watched woefully less talented Nebraska team beat Iowa on the backs of 16k screaming Bugeater fans, we all know that a home crowd can spur a lesser team to victory. That will not be much of a factor this year. Of course, the same is true of Iowa not having a home court advantage, but rarely will we be the lesser team this year. The team with the most talent that executes the best should win, and that favors Iowa.

If this was the case then why do the women still have home court advantages? Even without COVID there are not many fans at the games.

Even though there are not many fans it's still not your home court. They are still having to travel to the game sites, getting dressed in a different locker room, warming up in a different gym, eating on the road, staying in a hotel, and not going through their normal home game routines. Granted it's not the same as going into a hostile environment but some players feed off of that.

I am not saying that there is no home court advantage without crowds, but its very much lessened. There are other factors as you noted. I just think we have lost some games to crappy teams on the road the last few years that we had no business losing, and I think an energized crowd plays a role.

We have some veteran guys who are all pretty cerebral. I don't think they need a home crowd to motivate them as other teams.

I don't think the COVID stuff if a huge advantage one way or the other, but if it breaks a direction, I think it favors teams like Iowa.

1) We are a very veteran squad, and more experienced teams tend to deal with headwinds and adversity better than youngsters. Relatedly, the chemistry appears about as good as it gets. By all accounts, these kids all get along, we have strong leaders on the floor, they all seem to still like Fran, and they seem to have a selfless attitude built around winning. Those traits will aid in working through all of the issues teams will face this year.

I don't think we had recovered from a brutally physical game in a steamy Palestra when we played in Lincoln last year. Our three point shooting that night would certainly indicate tired legs. If I recall, Penn State came out sluggish in their next game and lost as well.

But if it were just last year I have witnesses unspeakable losses to crap teams in Lincoln. Thank god the football team has taken care of business there my last few trips!

Latest posts