Who remembers this incident 30 years ago?

Yep, I think I was watching this game live when it happened. Imagine if Fran did that? He'd probably get suspended the rest of the year or worse.

Yep, I think I was watching this game live when it happened. Imagine if Fran did that? He'd probably get suspended the rest of the year or worse.

Fran did destroy a chair by throwing it down on MSU's court. It was less dramatic since he didn't throw it across the court during a free throw but his rage probably beat Knight..

[video=youtube;Ao9k0vpT51E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao9k0vpT51E[/video]

Don't know if this has been posted but Bobby is still being Bobby while announcing games yelling at fans for standing and cheering on their team.
[video]http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/02/bobby-knight-screams-at-smu-fans-to-sit-down[/video]

Don't know if this has been posted but Bobby is still being Bobby while announcing games yelling at fans for standing and cheering on their team.
[video]http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/02/bobby-knight-screams-at-smu-fans-to-sit-down[/video]

Lol, you really can't blame him in that circumstance where they are calling a game and the fans are standing up in front of you. I actually know some former Iowa players that have told me that off of the court Bobby is very cordial and polite and nice to talk to. Maybe he had a alergic reaction to hardwood floors. :)

Lol, you really can't blame him in that circumstance where they are calling a game and the fans are standing up in front of you. I actually know some former Iowa players that have told me that off of the court Bobby is very cordial and polite and nice to talk to. Maybe he had a alergic reaction to hardwood floors. :)

One former player told me that Steve Alford was a really nice guy, as well. Wonder what happened?

Loved Knight. Listen to the fans cheer for him and chant his name. winning a lot completely changes what is ok...even celebrated.

I remember this game, even as a very young kid, about 9, thought is was awesome....and scary. A few older guys from my hometown met knight in a meeting of some kind, said he was just awesome, direct, honest. Today, even as a winner, he'd be completely vilified.

I still love listening to him.

One former player told me that Steve Alford was a really nice guy, as well. Wonder what happened?

My nephew was a three year manager during the Alford years and he has great things to say about Alford. He even got a great letter of recommendation which helped him land his first job. He may have alienated the fan base and press, but he was loyal to his players and managers.

I remember it well. It set the stage for Bobby's "Season on the Brink," which John Feinstein wrote about. Not even 6 months before that, Bobby had coached Team USA to Olympic gold (back when we still used college players instead of pros) This, along with his national championship in 1981 had him at the pinnacle of the profession in the Summer of 84. Yet, less than 6 months later they finish 6th in the Big Ten, fail to make the NCAA tournament, and the chair incident.

I went back and looked up Knight's punishment: one-game suspension, two years probation from the Big Ten. Pretty incredibly lenient.

Fran received a one-game suspension and a $10,000 fine from the BoneG for his two-technical outburst at Wisconsin a year ago, a game in which he bumped an official while protesting a call. He also was reprimanded in a letter from the league.

I went back and looked up Knight's punishment: one-game suspension, two years probation from the Big Ten. Pretty incredibly lenient.

Fran received a one-game suspension and a $10,000 fine from the BoneG for his two-technical outburst at Wisconsin a year ago, a game in which he bumped an official while protesting a call. He also was reprimanded in a letter from the league.

I looked at that video again and it appeared that Alfraud put his hands on the official when the foul was called on him....maybe I'm seeing it wrong..

I looked at that video again and it appeared that Alfraud put his hands on the official when the foul was called on him....maybe I'm seeing it wrong..

You are correct, he did. In fact, there were two or three instances in which Alfraud also could have received a T and been ejected. But it was at Assembly Hall and the officials probably felt there would have been an all-out riot if they had also ejected Bloomington's favorite son.

Holy crap, rewatching that video I had not previously noticed Fran punching Kirk Speraw in the gut (28 second mark) to demonstrate what a Sparty thug had done to an Iowa player moments before. Kirk looks like he got hit pretty good.

Tweeter, you're right.....crap, if that was me, I would've been gasping for air....Speraw didn't even flinch..:)

Latest posts