Where the run game on occasion and Brain Ferentz is really off!!!!! And so many other things

uihawk82

It seemed the hawks had pretty good run success straight at NW today. The first td, multiple nice gainers, they were stuffed a few times but that happens. But it was apparent pretty early on that the outside zone was not working. NW either knew it was coming based on linemen movement etc or they were fast enough to recover and eat it up.

Brian Ferentz on 2nd and 1 calls for a outside zone run that loses 4 yards. Luckily on that set of downs Petras found a receiver for the first down. But there was no rhythm with BFerentz of trying to stay ahead of the chains, terrible 3 down pass routes called short of the line to gain,

Apparent we are missing Wirfs. Petras flushes too early sometimes and when he rolls out he has lost the use of half of his receivers.

Did BF call any 50-60 yard bombs when we had the wind behind our backs? I dont think so but you have to do that. Petras has the strong arm and ISM and Tracy can try to run under it or draw a flag.

Didnt see many reverses to slow down and mess up NW's quick pursuit to the first direction of the play. The offense is pretty vanilla.

I thought the defense played pretty well except against the run in the 2nd qtr but they tightened that up in the 2nd half. There is that lack of a pass rush and I thought PParker had the pass rush trying to contain rather than pressure. Ramsey is a really good scrambler and runner but the lack of pressure let him make several or more key completions.

I like Petras's strong arm (he seems to really throw that long out pattern well that goes past the corner and in front of the safety) but he is missing some open receiver reads, like last week he is throwing high a lot but maybe that is what he is supposed to do along the boundary I dont know. I think it would be ok to give other QBs some package plays and set of downs or series.

Not very dismayed yet because KF's teams usually get better by mid October but it is already Nov and their warmup games have been two close conference losses. It will be hard to run against sparty but that is what they still need to try to do.

It seemed the hawks had pretty good run success straight at NW today. The first td, multiple nice gainers, they were stuffed a few times but that happens. But it was apparent pretty early on that the outside zone was not working. NW either knew it was coming based on linemen movement etc or they were fast enough to recover and eat it up.

Brian Ferentz on 2nd and 1 calls for a outside zone run that loses 4 yards. Luckily on that set of downs Petras found a receiver for the first down. But there was no rhythm with BFerentz of trying to stay ahead of the chains, terrible 3 down pass routes called short of the line to gain,

Apparent we are missing Wirfs. Petras flushes too early sometimes and when he rolls out he has lost the use of half of his receivers.

Did BF call any 50-60 yard bombs when we had the wind behind our backs? I dont think so but you have to do that. Petras has the strong arm and ISM and Tracy can try to run under it or draw a flag.

Didnt see many reverses to slow down and mess up NW's quick pursuit to the first direction of the play. The offense is pretty vanilla.

I thought the defense played pretty well except against the run in the 2nd qtr but they tightened that up in the 2nd half. There is that lack of a pass rush and I thought PParker had the pass rush trying to contain rather than pressure. Ramsey is a really good scrambler and runner but the lack of pressure let him make several or more key completions.

I like Petras's strong arm (he seems to really throw that long out pattern well that goes past the corner and in front of the safety) but he is missing some open receiver reads, like last week he is throwing high a lot but maybe that is what he is supposed to do along the boundary I dont know. I think it would be ok to give other QBs some package plays and set of downs or series.

Not very dismayed yet because KF's teams usually get better by mid October but it is already Nov and their warmup games have been two close conference losses. It will be hard to run against sparty but that is what they still need to try to do.
I must be watching a different team. QB has to be taken out, heck PSU came out in 2nd half and made a change. Doesn't mean he won't play again, but he needs to sit and watch. Happy feet, locks in on receivers, no touch, everything is 110 mph, don't see him audible at all, guys not rallying around him. Our O line is getting thrown around like rag dolls. Our receivers are open but you have to see the entire field. Offensive scheme is bad...

Defense is missing linebackers PERIOD. D line played better today, evidenced by standing up RB'S at the line and no backers to clean up, results in 4-8 yd's after contact. When we blitz with our backers they get no penetration.

Illinois may be our only win.

Brian has lost too many of the players' respect. They're not giving 100% ..its not talent, its not schemes, its effort by many on online and WRs

I must be watching a different team. QB has to be taken out, heck PSU came out in 2nd half and made a change. Doesn't mean he won't play again, but he needs to sit and watch. Happy feet, locks in on receivers, no touch, everything is 110 mph, don't see him audible at all, guys not rallying around him. Our O line is getting thrown around like rag dolls. Our receivers are open but you have to see the entire field. Offensive scheme is bad...

Defense is missing linebackers PERIOD. D line played better today, evidenced by standing up RB'S at the line and no backers to clean up, results in 4-8 yd's after contact. When we blitz with our backers they get no penetration.

A qb has a better chance when his receivers can get open, the receivers are not getting open by very much hardly at all. Not good and this is supposed to be our best receiver group. I said Petras is having some problems but he has a big time arm and he needs to work on things.

The hawks got some sacks but you are right they are not getting quick pressure on the qb as most of the sacks were coverage sacks.

A qb has a better chance when his receivers can get open, the receivers are not getting open by very much hardly at all. Not good and this is supposed to be our best receiver group. I said Petras is having some problems but he has a big time arm and he needs to work on things.

The hawks got some sacks but you are right they are not getting quick pressure on the qb as most of the sacks were coverage sacks.

Receivers are open, they were last week as well. Too many missed. Not wide open, but that rarely is the case. Scheme and "thrown open". Both games deep balls were 1-2 steps open and 6-7 wide open guys airmailed.

4 interceptions in two games, and 3-4 others he got away with...all were either fastballs tipped/high or thrown into double/triple coverage.

We have a great possession wr in B Smith. Ragani impressed today, ISM and Tracy are good in space.

Again, Petras shows raw talent, especially on deep outs. But way too many misses.

Fair or not, his hype and praise was high. I expect more from him and BF.

I'm not confident that many players are putting out ..wonder if they resent Brian
They don’t resent him enough to transfer so if they’re not going all out, they’re hurting themselves.

How did MSU do when they had their crime spree off-season?

How did NW do when they had the flailing unionizing off-season?

How did anyone think Iowa was going to do well with a race drama season enveloped by a BLM rioting/looting rampage and interrupted twice by covid-panic.

it was doomed to be a lost season.
Two games in and out of the division race.

NW had no respect for Iowa's passing game and why should they. Arguably the 2nd best wide receiver group of the Ferentz era and you can't consistently get them the ball. Poor Laporta probably doesn't have any fingers left. The offense will be stagnate until Petras can consistently make throws.

We are missing Welch badly. Last year he was out the Wisconsin game and their back ran for over 200. More this year

I think the BF experiment should be done... H

e's had a hand full of games that he really looked like he was calling the game.. that means 5 games in 4 years pretty bad.. I think some of the players resent him still from all the stuff that's been happening in April and May. Maybe the coaches are afraid to give some kind constructive criticism in a forceful way.. I'm sure the players would just protest if they don't get there way.lol. The defense looks soft and offense looks confused.. We can't be 3 yards and a cloud of dust in this era.. KF must still think so.. To a point I feel sorry for BF he can't really learn under dad when ur dad doesn't trust his coaching decisions.. He should go somewhere where he could really coach..

Latest posts