What Type Of Fan Are You?

Not really any of those.
I didn't like the hire. I didn't like the early results of intangibles (fundamentals and temperament of coach and players)
This roster is not good, but could be "OK" in a couple of years
My head isn't in the sand. I'm not angry.

There really wasn't a realist category.

Started paying attention under Lute Olson and nobody likely will ever compare.

I had no issues with Davis. Love bounce passes on O.

I quit paying attention in the Lick years and started to really listen when Jok/Uthoff were playing.

Never bought into the Hawks being good before that in the Woody era. Poor coaching and ummm no point guard kinda thing.

I know which one I am, but that word isn't allowed around here, so I'll just stick my head in the sand until the season's over.

I thought this team would be a bubble team, turns out they suck. I still watch all the games but with zero expectations and my guard firmly up. I think they'll be improved next year mostly because they have nowhere else to go.

I'll probably turn optimistic in October and pick them to be back on the bubble. What can i say, minnesota winters are cold as f**k

I’m not optimistic at all about Iowa basketball under McCaffery. They’re horribly coached. They were horribly coached even on the tournament teams, just had more talent to make up for it. Even those teams had fatal flaws.

I'm probably a cross of Back in Black and Helping hand with a dose of the groundskeepers from Major League. I'm a bit of a masochist fan. I've watched all but 3 games this year (the final 2 in the Caymans and I just missed this weekend's game due to family obligations).

My fandom also has a heavy dose of support the troops but not the administration. I think Gary Barta has given way-above-average-contracts to a slightly-above-average football coach and barely-average basketball coach. The buck stops there. Barta needs to not hire another coach. Let him be the CFO of the athletic department and hire and AD with a killer instinct.

Last edited:
I don't think I really fit any of these perfectly. When things are bad, I'm closest to "back in black" (another wide open 3 from the corner???)

But when things are going well, I'm positive. Just depends on which way the wind is blowing, but I think of myself as a realist.

Burn it to the ground fan at this point. If you consistently coach teams that nose- dive and give up big leads ... u r not a good “ in game” coach and that is kinda the most important part

Love the Hawkeyes, but know a shit product when I see it.

^^this is where I am at this year but overall I am a die hard hawk fan. In 1963 or 64 when I first started getting into college Bball I remember staying up until about 1 AM listening to the hawks upset I think #1 Ucla in Chicago Stadium. So exciting listening to Zabel call that game. Ralph Miller's teams were just so exciting and they just needed a couple of good bounces to have and even more fantastic 5 year stretch.

I expect the hawks to be really top notch at Bball. Lute did a great job as did Mr. Davis. It would be nice to win a natty champ but I dont expect it. But I would like to see some top ranked bball again. A lot of you are closer to the program than I am now but Fran's teams are soft to me, Fran's teams have a habit of not making the big bucket or the big stop and it has been that way for a long time. I am afraid he has peaked with his teams unless he can get the one thing he needs which is a steady stream of really really good point guards.

^^this is where I am at this year but overall I am a die hard hawk fan. In 1963 or 64 when I first started getting into college Bball I remember staying up until about 1 AM listening to the hawks upset I think #1 Ucla in Chicago Stadium. So exciting listening to Zabel call that game. Ralph Miller's teams were just so exciting and they just needed a couple of good bounces to have and even more fantastic 5 year stretch.

I expect the hawks to be really top notch at Bball. Lute did a great job as did Mr. Davis. It would be nice to win a natty champ but I dont expect it. But I would like to see some top ranked bball again. A lot of you are closer to the program than I am now but Fran's teams are soft to me, Fran's teams have a habit of not making the big bucket or the big stop and it has been that way for a long time. I am afraid he has peaked with his teams unless he can get the one thing he needs which is a steady stream of really really good point guards.

I really think Fran is the 2nd coming of George Raveling.....minus the overall top notch recruiting George had.

I should also say I about "died" when the 1968 Sam Williams lead team lost inexplicably to an avg Mich team the last game of the Big 10 season to fall into a first place tie with OSU and then they lost by 20 in the one game playoff. A playoff that was televised on broadcast TV on a weeknite which was unheard of back then.

And we all know how good the 1970 team was. We need that kind of bball again at Iowa and we need to sit the old farts up in the high rows at Carver

I should also say I about "died" when the 1968 Sam Williams lead team lost inexplicably to an avg Mich team the last game of the Big 10 season to fall into a first place tie with OSU and then they lost by 20 in the one game playoff. A playoff that was televised on broadcast TV on a weeknite which was unheard of back then.

And we all know how good the 1970 team was. We need that kind of bball again at Iowa and we need to sit the old farts up in the high rows at Carver

Iowa lost the one game playoff to Ohio State in 1968 by a score of 85-81. Here's an article that refers to the OSU Cinderella run that year.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2008/03/1968_when_cinderella_was_reall.html

So they beat Iowa, a team they'd lost to in overtime earlier in the year, 85-81, nearly blowing a 12-point lead before two Meadors foul shots with 31 seconds left sealed it.

If Iowa loses tonight they have an excellent chance of finishing in last place. When was the last time Iowa finished in last place? Anyway, if they do finish last this will be season people will remember for a long time.

I really think Fran is the 2nd coming of George Raveling.....minus the overall top notch recruiting George had.

So in other words, a guy that can't coach OR recruit. Great combination.

Fran has had some success but feel he's already peaked. How a team can reach Top 10 or Top 5 nationally by January (see 2013-14 and 2015-16 seasons) and tank so badly the final month plus? My educated guess is that the league adjusted to us second time through the schedule and our coaching staff had no answers. It happened with Alford at times, too.

If Iowa loses tonight they have an excellent chance of finishing in last place. When was the last time Iowa finished in last place? Anyway, if they do finish last this will be season people will remember for a long time.

Yep, there's bad and then there is this season. This is worth 2-3 bad seasons in my opinion.

Last place has never happened in my days. I think somebody said the 1930's might have been the last time?

Just remember - it's not as bad as the Lickliter days according to some, lol. (Highly debatable)

I'm sorry, but facts are facts - last place. Even Lick's 22 loss team didn't finish last. Guess I'm a bottom-line kind of guy. People can talk potential all they want, but if you're still losing, then what difference does it really make? Like that guy who's great in practice but doesn't deliver when the seats are full and the lights are on. Maybe next year will be a lot better, but at the moment - Yikes.

Maybe a better coach would get more out of this team, but thanks to Buyout Barta, Fran is our guy for the foreseeable future, from the looks of it.

Last edited: