What is our WR situation?

1hawkeye1

Two questions:

#1 When will Branden Smith be back?
#2 WTH ever happened to Oliver Martin??

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

Why is it that everyone expects so much from Oliver Martin? He has 16 catches in 11 career games and wasn't good enough to play at Michigan. Why do so many people think he was going to come in here and be a superstar? I've never understood that. I approached his transfer as, he's not going to hurt us, I hope he helps, and maybe we've really got something, but I'm not holding my breath. As Gary Dolphin said about Illinois and all of their transfers, "there's a reason they transferred".

This is probably the best WR group we’ve had in many years.

-ISM is the strait line speed guy.

-TT is the versatile playmaker who can make yards after the catch. Only a freshman this kid might be a future star.

-Brandon Smith is the big physical possession guy. He’s working back from injury, my guess is we see him this week.

-Ragaini is the inside route runner possession type WR.

The cool thing is they all should be back next year and should continue to improve their games. Oliver Martin will have an opportunity to play himself into the rotation with a better grasp of the playbook.

Two questions:

Martin was in for 1 play against Illinois and there was a penalty for two many in the back field. Not sure if he lined up wrong or not.

Why is it that everyone expects so much from Oliver Martin? He has 16 catches in 11 career games and wasn't good enough to play at Michigan. Why do so many people think he was going to come in here and be a superstar? I've never understood that. I approached his transfer as, he's not going to hurt us, I hope he helps, and maybe we've really got something, but I'm not holding my breath. As Gary Dolphin said about Illinois and all of their transfers, "there's a reason they transferred".

I said that about 6 months ago and got bashed.

Smith, Tracy and Smith-Marsette are the best trio of receivers we've had in a long time. I'm also encouraged by what I've seen from LaPorta the past two weeks. Petras will have a lot of weapons to throw to next season which will hopefully ease his transition as the starter.

Who gives a F about Oliver Martin?

Our starting 3 + La Porta are killing it right now. This ain't rec league where everyone gets minutes. He wanted to come back home, Iowa gave him a shot, and he got beat. Them's the breaks...if he wanted to be a Hawkeye he should have come here right away where he could've worked his way in. He chose Michigan for his own personal reasons and college ball didn't go his way. Happens to hundreds of kids every year. What do people not understand?

Who gives a F about Oliver Martin?

Our starting 3 + La Porta are killing it right now. This ain't rec league where everyone gets minutes. He wanted to come back home, Iowa gave him a shot, and he got beat. Them's the breaks...if he wanted to be a Hawkeye he should have come here right away where he could've worked his way in. He chose Michigan for his own personal reasons and college ball didn't go his way. Happens to hundreds of kids every year. What do people not understand?

Because many fans thought the same thing that Martin probably did. Iowa doesn't traditionally have good WRs. Last year they were pretty meh, Iowa is losing their top 3 passing targets, and he'll start here easily and get a lot of footballs throw his way.

But it turned out that Iowa has 4 WRs that are better than him. Fans are still enamored with his high school numbers for whatever reason. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Lockett and Hutson move ahead of him by 2020 and like many transfer players, Martin will be transferring again.

Our receivers are one of the strengths of this team. Have you watched the last two games?

Brandon Smith is injured.

With all due respect, your analysis is over par. Definitely double bogey range..
Nah, my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek. Thot I’d beat the Haterz to it.

Anyone know why Minnesota and Illinois are getting so much future-love for playing so many freshman/sophomores and Iowa doesn’t?

Two questions:

Brandon Smith is said to have a deep bone bruise. If you can imagine a really deep muscle contusion or bruise and how it might take a few weeks to have that muscle back to full strength imagine that injury going down into the bone in his leg as well as tissue.

Tracy has been playing very well so let's get B Smith totally healthy and work B Smith back into his reps.

Nah, my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek. Thot I’d beat the Haterz to it.

Anyone know why Minnesota and Illinois are getting so much future-love for playing so many freshman/sophomores and Iowa doesn’t?

I remember the analysts saying Lovie went really young two years ago and last year hence a lot of the transfer from his older guys. It has worked for Illinois as they are getting better.

This is probably the best WR group we’ve had in many years.

-ISM is the strait line speed guy.

-TT is the versatile playmaker who can make yards after the catch. Only a freshman this kid might be a future star.

-Brandon Smith is the big physical possession guy. He’s working back from injury, my guess is we see him this week.

-Ragaini is the inside route runner possession type WR.

The cool thing is they all should be back next year and should continue to improve their games. Oliver Martin will have an opportunity to play himself into the rotation with a better grasp of the playbook.
We have some talent at WR, but not enough talent to catch balls thrown 10 yards behind them or 10 yard in front of them, spiraling into the turf.

We do not have good enough receivers though they are better. IL and MN out recruited us at the receivers. None of the te s as targets seem to have the mojo others in the past did. Several times they haven't gone after catchable balls as if the thought the target was elsewhere.