Weiskamp officially gone

spliff45

To the surprise of no one. Good for him, go get paid.

Joe Wieskamp

@JWieskamp21

Hawkeye Nation.. it’s been an incredible 3 years. I can’t thank you all enough for your support throughout my career… At this time, I’d like to officially announce that I will be keeping my name in the 2021 NBA Draft. I’ll be a Hawkeye for life! #WiesyOuttaHere

✌

1f49b.svg

not a shocker.

I am a little curious about the rumor mill. CJ and JW were roommates, apparently there was a level of frustration with Fran.... I would love to know to what extent it got to. At the end of the day we will never know. Not a big deal. Wish JW all the luck in the world moving forward.

For selfish reasons I wanted him back, but besides national attention he has shown me enough to have a chance at the next level. Good Luck Joe hope you catch on with a team. He could have a great career overseas if things don't work out.

Here's to hoping he lands in a good fit on a good team. Would love to see him contributing in the playoffs. Cook being the 12th man on a terrible team is still a good thing. He's in the league. But I'm sure he's striving to improve his situation. Maybe he and Garza can be late 1st round picks and go to good teams and latch on

This will definitely open up playing time for other guards. I am sure they are not upset with his decision. Of course this is of no surprise to most of the players and fans.

This will definitely open up playing time for other guards. I am sure they are not upset with his decision. Of course this is of no surprise to most of the players and fans.
PMac, Kris Murray, and Tony Perkins should be prime benefactors of Wieskamp and CJ moving on.

Ironically, the true freshman from Waukee may have the type of game that most closely resembles Wiesy's. But Payton Sandfort is just that- a true freshman.

PMac, Kris Murray, and Tony Perkins should be prime benefactors of Wieskamp and CJ moving on.

Ironically, the true freshman from Waukee may have the type of game that most closely resembles Wiesy's. But Payton Sandfort is just that- a true freshman.
It will be fun watching the newer players learn and grow. I suspect the team will be quicker this year and hopefully better defensively except defending the rim. The twins may have something to say about that (hopefully).

Maybe Jbo will be even a step quicker with more time under his belt on his recovery from his surgery. Would love to see one of the guards explode onto the scene. If that happens it can help make up for the loss Luka.

It will be fun watching the newer players learn and grow. I suspect the team will be quicker this year and hopefully better defensively except defending the rim. The twins may have something to say about that (hopefully).

Maybe Jbo will be even a step quicker with more time under his belt on his recovery from his surgery. Would love to see one of the guards explode onto the scene. If that happens it can help make up for the loss Luka.
Dangle JBo's wallet on a fishing line and reel it all over the court and you will see side to side quickness you never knew he had.

This is late but I,m mot buying his "42" vertical jump. The more I think about it, thats half way up the backboard! Do any of you remember him jumping that high? I dont think so. Surely it was miss reported. Surely the real number was 32 inches. He out jumps Tyler Cook BY 15 inches?? Thats preposterous!!!!!

I must be missing something....
Iowa basketball is coming off their best season in decades and underclassmen are leaving like rats from a sinking ship?

This is late but I,m mot buying his "42" vertical jump. The more I think about it, thats half way up the backboard! Do any of you remember him jumping that high? I dont think so. Surely it was miss reported. Surely the real number was 32 inches. He out jumps Tyler Cook BY 15 inches?? Thats preposterous!!!!!
It was 42". It was reported by tons of different websites, the NBA itself, and several people on Twitter who were at the combine. There are also pictures of his jump showing it.

And the Cook comparison is pretty ridiculous. Two completely different players and positions. Garza's vertical was only 29"

Vertical jump is important, but it's like the 3 cone drill in the underwear olympics. Doesn't translate into player success. Kobe Bryant's vertical was 38"

It was 42". It was reported by tons of different websites, the NBA itself, and several people on Twitter who were at the combine. There are also pictures of his jump showing it.

And the Cook comparison is pretty ridiculous. Two completely different players and positions. Garza's vertical was only 29"

Vertical jump is important, but it's like the 3 cone drill in the underwear olympics. Doesn't translate into player success. Kobe Bryant's vertical was 38"
Yeah I think his take is that when watching their games it just looked like Cook had a better vert then JW. But that doesn't have to be the case obviously. Cook may be more explosive coming from a 2 foot stop. With little momentum he could explode to the rim in traffic. JW didn't show much of that in games. But it doesn't mean he didn't have it. Or he's just better with a running start. JW had a few back door ally oops that were sweet. We shoulda been doing more of that...

What you can't find is the apples to apples comparison. There is little way that I can quickly find to tell when standing vertical was being used v step vertical. Joe was good on the step vertical and more human (still good) on the standing vertical.

From what I remember reading when this came out, they get at least a little bit of a running start. So Gold is correct, it is not an apples to apples comparison. But it is still a good result for him.

I doubt if Michael Jordan's was even as high as Kobe's. Its possible. But like Julius Erving he had great body control, mid air body control, hang time, and huge hands.

Last edited:
Yeah I think his take is that when watching their games it just looked like Cook had a better vert then JW. But that doesn't have to be the case obviously. Cook may be more explosive coming from a 2 foot stop. With little momentum he could explode to the rim in traffic. JW didn't show much of that in games. But it doesn't mean he didn't have it. Or he's just better with a running start. JW had a few back door ally oops that were sweet. We shoulda been doing more of that...
I made the argument a while ago that JBo could dunk, which was rebuffed by some posters. I still think he can, if not necessarily in games.

Even if he is officially 5'11 with normal arm length he would need about a 34-35" vertical and a D1 guard with access to all the bells and whistles should be able to do that. There are kids on my son's high school basketball team in the 6'0-6'2 range who can dunk. Plyometrics and strengthening calves are the key.

I made the argument a while ago that JBo could dunk, which was rebuffed by some posters. I still think he can, if not necessarily in games.

Even if he is officially 5'11 with normal arm length he would need about a 34-35" vertical and a D1 guard with access to all the bells and whistles should be able to do that. There are kids on my son's high school basketball team in the 6'0-6'2 range who can dunk. Plyometrics and strengthening calves are the key.
My 5 10 son can dunk. I'll brag. He burned Jaquan Lyle bad. Michael Finke would look around to see where he was before going up. Guarantee you Bates Diopp remembers him. Always wanted him to play point but he liked the 3. I would be surprised if JBo didn't have hops to go with the chops.

Latest posts