We are a 2nd half team

tubahawk

I was looking at the scoring breakdowns so far this year. Iowa has outscored its opponents 101-48 in the 2nd half. (60-31 in the 4th quarter alone)

Iowa has only been outscored in the 2nd half by two teams (Ark St & Mich).

I strongly believe our strength and conditioning are the primary reason for this. We have been the stronger team physically.

There should be credit given in other areas too, but I'm not sure how I would prioritize it.

1. Should the credit for the second half "success" go more to offense or defense?

Our defense has allowed an avg. of 4.4 points in the 4th quarter. That is stout! Yet our offense has scored an avg 14.4 points in the 2nd half of games compared to 10.4 in the first.

2. Adjustments. Both offensively and defensively this team is making adjustments in the locker room at half time. But is it really adjustments that's making the difference or is it our strength and conditioning that we are mentally wearing out or opponents to make those mistakes (i.e. interceptions etc.)?

During the ISU game I thought we used Wegher very wisely. We pounded the ball for the first 2-3 quarters with Robinson. Then when the other team was tired, brought in the "fresher" legs and speed of Wegher. ISU couldn't keep up by then.

Bottom line for me, if we go into the 2nd half tied or within 7 points, I'm not as nervous. This team tends to "manage" the first half, and then take over the second half.

Latest posts