Way to Early Iowa 2021 Record Prediction Thread

Motigerhawk

Rob put out his proposed depth charts for next year, using that information and the schedule ahead, what do you think our record will be. Here is the schedule for reference:

9-4-- Indiana
9-11-- at Iowa State
9-18-- Kent State
9-25-- Colorado State
10-2-- at Northwestern
10-9-- Penn State
10-16-- OFF
10-23-- at Maryland
10-30-- Purdue
11-6-- at Nebraska
11-13-- Minnesota
11-20-- Illinois
11-27-- at Wisconsin

I have us at 9-3. With that schedule and how Iowa starts out of the gate and KFs realization that the ISU game is important, I think we lose to Indiana, Penn St. and Wisconsin.

What say you?

Indiana W
ISU L
Kent W
Colo St W
Nw W
PSU L
Maryland W
Purdue W
Neb W
MN W
ILL W
Wisc L

9W 3L Citrus Bowl.
Worst Case 7-5 Music City

With Kirk's teams, you know there will be a bunch of close games coming down to the 4th quarter with Iowa up a score or down a score. This past season we were in several of those type of games: Purdue; NW; PSU (up 10 actually, but PSU had the ball with a chance to cut it to 3); Neb; IL; Wisconsin. We were 4-2 in those games, hence the 6-2 record. If the defense is good, I think 9-3 is achievable, along with at least a tie for the West title. Iowa rarely blows out a conference foe and is rarely blown out.

If we can consistently stop the run...we are 10-2 or 9-3. No Ohio State...which is good...but finish at Wisconsin...always a tough place for us to win. To me...we are solid everywhere...but the DT position is kind of a mystery. Losing Heflin and Nixon is going to hurt big time.

A big grad transfer would be a godsend at DT. A big body to control the LOS and let the linebackers make plays.

This is the first year I can remember where we may actually be underdogs against Iowa State. They return a ton. It's in Kinnick...and should be a great game.

The best news from my perspective is that there is not even one game on our schedule that is a “can’t win.” I am not afraid of PSU or WI next year.

It's in Kinnick...and should be a great game.
Sorry -- the Cyclone game is in Ames in 2021. The challenge will be our newish DL having to corral early in the season perhaps the best RB in the nation behind a very experienced OL. Probably the year the Clones finally get a win. If we beat the Hoosiers the week before, it will be a nice, early season Top 20 matchup with plenty of eyes.
Record for the season? Pencil me in at 8-4 or 9-3. Which is solid, but definitely a season of opportunity when you have neither Ohio St. nor Michigan on the schedule!

Let's see, the trend has been

2016. 8-5 lose bowl
2017. 8-5 win bowl
2018 9-4. Win Bowl
2019. 10-3 Win Bowl
2020. 6-2. Canceled Bowl game

So I a going to say for. 2021

10-2
1st place in west
Lose CCG
Win bowl game

Final record. 11-3

It is a strong possibility that 4 out of the first 6 games we play will be against ranked opponents. The back 6 games are very manageable. I will weirdly predict as follows:

1. If we win our first 6, we run the table.
2. If we lose 1 of the first 6, we go 10-2
3. If we lose 2, we go 9-3.
4. 3-3? Could end up to be a very very bad year.

9-3 seems to be the safest bet......

I think it will be a tough year. im Hoping for 7-8 wins but feel like it’s more like 6

It is a strong possibility that 4 out of the first 6 games we play will be against ranked opponents. The back 6 games are very manageable. I will weirdly predict as follows:

1. If we win our first 6, we run the table.
2. If we lose 1 of the first 6, we go 10-2
3. If we lose 2, we go 9-3.
4. 3-3? Could end up to be a very very bad year.

9-3 seems to be the safest bet......

It all comes down to how ready our D line is.

If we can consistently stop the run...we are 10-2 or 9-3. No Ohio State...which is good...but finish at Wisconsin...always a tough place for us to win. To me...we are solid everywhere...but the DT position is kind of a mystery. Losing Heflin and Nixon is going to hurt big time.

A big grad transfer would be a godsend at DT. A big body to control the LOS and let the linebackers make plays.

This is the first year I can remember where we may actually be underdogs against Iowa State. They return a ton. It's in Kinnick...and should be a great game.

SIAP but The ISU game is at Ames as we lost out on a year.

Is Purdy coming back to ISU? If he is gone I say we beat them. They have a good running back but even and NLFer like Montgomery didnt hurt us. But a 12th year QB like Purdy could hurt us,

It all comes down to how ready our D line is.

I agree to this. the offense should have a very good Oline, TEs, fullback or should we say Pottebaum Back if he is back, running backs, and right now a serviceable 7 on a 10 scale QB who we hope is better right out of the gate.

With Hankins coming back the secondary is pretty good, some great looking linebackers, there are the 3 loses on the DLine that is the question mark. Just need some big, agile bodies there to hog up space and not get pushed back into the lbkrs.

I go 8-4 or maybe 9-3 if the team is really ready by the first game. If we have the usual somewhat slow KF start to a season it could be 7-5 or 8-4. Get those first two wins and wow the sky is the limit

SIAP but The ISU game is at Ames as we lost out on a year.

Is Purdy coming back to ISU? If he is gone I say we beat them. They have a good running back but even and NLFer like Montgomery didnt hurt us. But a 12th year QB like Purdy could hurt us,

Already said he was coming back, and he's nowhere near NFL-ready.

Already said he was coming back, and he's nowhere near NFL-ready.

Thanks, I hadnt heard that news. That will be a tough game then with his experience. Just look at Northwestern because when they do not have really good experienced upperclassmen QB play they usually have bad seasons. In 2015 Thorsen was a first year starter and maybe freshman and the hawk defense ate him up, sacked him and spit him out. the next couple of years maybe 3 years he torched us. In 2019 jNW had nobody good at QB as they tried maybe 3 players and they stunk at 3-9 or something like that.

This year jNW hits the jackpot with in conference grad transfer Ramsey who already showed he was good at Indiana. Ramsey is not great but definitely above avg and doesnt make many mistakes which is what Fitzy wants.

8-4/7-5

There's a stinker in there somewhere. An inexplicable loss where we go "how did that happen?"

Petras has to be ready to go from day 1 and the d-line can't be a work in progress otherwise you are looking at a 4 or 5 loss season.