Was there negativity around CJ in the last part of the season or the last few games?

uihawk82

I seem to have read someone on this site mention something may have been said between CJ and the coaching staff. I cant remember what thread so not sure if I am imaging I saw this. Did something negative with or around the Iowa program start CJ towards the transfer portal?

I seem to have read someone on this site mention something may have been said between CJ and the coaching staff. I cant remember what thread so not sure if I am imaging I saw this. Did something negative with or around the Iowa program start CJ towards the transfer portal?
Lol. John Calipari started CJ to the transfer portal.

Rumors about CJ's familly not happy about how the coaching staff handled his injuries. Staff put pressure on him to play when he wasn't ready. Just rumors and none of this matters at this point, we will find out he is a Wildcat soon enough.

On one level, I like a bit of drama as much as the next guy, so I think it would be kinda fun to see some mud get slung around.

The more adult side of me hopes everyone can just move on. I certainly don't think it'll make or break the Iowa basketball program, which is what I care most about.

I would have loved to keep CJ, I think he's a solid player and was likely to be a major scoring option next year. Without getting into mud slinging myself, my expectation was his scoring average would increase but his shooting % would drop.

I actually think and have heard it may be the opposite from what was said here and the staff was overly cautious and that caused the issue.

Like, CJ thought he was cleared to play, so why aren't you playing him more? ...and honestly, I think that's more probable.

I'm just surprised he hasn't announced he's going to UK yet... He's really dragging out the inevitable it seems like...

The longer he drags it out the longer he can (try to) make it look like he didn't get recruited by Don Corleone

And he needs a busy news day to do it. You want to make a move like that when everyone's attention is focused on some news singularity so the only report of it from the national media is a ticker stream across the bottom of ESPN at 10 at night.

Well, I didn't have any negative thoughts at all, I am amazed any players are able to be on any college basketball team and play 30 games. That's a hard job to have especially when you have to study for your college degrees. I thought CJ was an excellent player. He is and will be Hawkeye forever. His stats are in the book. The only negativity I have is my jealousy that anyone can play basketball in college and I couldn't.

The longer he drags it out the longer he can (try to) make it look like he didn't get recruited by Don Corleone
I agree that's probably his reasoning but as if anyone that's paid half attention would buy it. Literally the only thing that would surprise me about any of this is if he ends up anywhere else but UK.

I did not get the impression this was an Iowa issue. CJ was hurt. Both he and the coaches wanted him back in the line-up asap, but with the most important thing that he be healthy for the tournament run, which he mostly was. It seemed handled appropriately.

This was no more complicated than he and his family seeing an opening to go from an unheralded recruit to joining the greatest basketball program in history only a river crossing drive away from where he grew up. While I do not like the way this all went down, its hard to fault the kid and his family for seizing this opportunity. Loyalty aint what it used to be.....

Well, I didn't have any negative thoughts at all, I am amazed any players are able to be on any college basketball team and play 30 games. That's a hard job to have especially when you have to study for your college degrees. I thought CJ was an excellent player. He is and will be Hawkeye forever. His stats are in the book. The only negativity I have is my jealousy that anyone can play basketball in college and I couldn't.

Until he leaves Iowa City to go to UK. Not attacking you, CJ, or anyone else that's transferred out, but I can see wishing them well, but I think its a bit of a stretch to go the "Hawkeye Forever" route. Hard for me to consider someone a Hawkeye, in present tense, let alone future consideration for any Hawkeye that left the program to play elsewhere.

I did not get the impression this was an Iowa issue. CJ was hurt. Both he and the coaches wanted him back in the line-up asap, but with the most important thing that he be healthy for the tournament run, which he mostly was. It seemed handled appropriately.

This was no more complicated than he and his family seeing an opening to go from an unheralded recruit to joining the greatest basketball program in history only a river crossing drive away from where he grew up. While I do not like the way this all went down, its hard to fault the kid and his family for seizing this opportunity. Loyalty aint what it used to be.....

Yeah, I forgot about where he lived etc

Until he leaves Iowa City to go to UK. Not attacking you, CJ, or anyone else that's transferred out, but I can see wishing them well, but I think its a bit of a stretch to go the "Hawkeye Forever" route. Hard for me to consider someone a Hawkeye, in present tense, let alone future consideration for any Hawkeye that left the program to play elsewhere.
Agreed. He’s not a “Hawkeye Forever.” And wouldn’t be if by some strange miracle he returned. Which he’s not.

Well yeah, I can see from your point of view but I don't dwell on it. No sense to get mad, just move on to the new transfer and he will be an upgrade. That's for sure.

Latest posts