Walthall, Jordan and Cornette

There was a story in the Gazette the first of the week about all the college coaches who were at the boys tourney looking at players. Florida even had someone there. I don't remember anything being said about Iowa.

Walthall stands to be the big loser in this situation, unless Barta chooses to keep him on the next coaches staff or in some other administrative position at Iowa. He won't get a golden parachute, like Lick does, and he had a great job/situation at Loras. The younger guys will probably be able to catch on somewhere after having gotten some experience at Iowa.

Walthall stands to be the big loser in this situation, unless Barta chooses to keep him on the next coaches staff or in some other administrative position at Iowa. He won't get a golden parachute, like Lick does, and he had a great job/situation at Loras. The younger guys will probably be able to catch on somewhere after having gotten some experience at Iowa.

Retaining Walthall as an assitant to the next coach wouldn't be a bad idea by GB IMO. He was lead recruiter for May, Cougill, Payne, Brust, Larson and McCabe, so keeping him might help keep them.

Spot on. But would Chad stay on?

If Lick landed somewhere else, I imagine he'd invite all three along. Chad has roots here, but if he wants to stay on the path of D-1 coaching, maybe he follows Lick.

I'm not as concerned about player losses and if we do what we should and hire a coach with a very solid recruiting resume, I wouldn't want to dictate who should be on his staff. But maybe Walthall for DBO?

Spot on. But would Chad stay on?

You honestly think Barta makes sure Walthall is the top assistant for the next coach who comes in? You even think the next coach in keeps Walthall on staff?

How many times do you see these things happen?

For a guy that makes sure everyone knows he's an "insider" you sure show how naive you can be with posts like this.

You honestly think Barta makes sure Walthall is the top assistant for the next coach who comes in? You even think the next coach in keeps Walthall on staff?

How many times do you see these things happen?

For a guy that makes sure everyone knows he's an "insider" you sure show how naive you can be with posts like this.

I've claimed to be an "insider", really? If anything I've said I am not.
http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/basketball/6908-fuller-gatens.html#post76722

And I'm also wondering where you are seeing me talking about keeping Chad on as the "top assistant" - I didn't say that. I'm talking about keep him on as a retainer, put a clause in the new guy's contract saying he'll keep Walthall in some sort of capacity.

Justin Weick stayed on after Alford left. Waaaay different position, but I'm just saying, assistant/admin can stay on from one coaching change to another.

I'm not saying this is a normal occurrence, just wondering if it could happen.

Why do people read into things further than they actually are?

Rich Walker also stayed on after TD left. It's not unusual.

Please name some others that would indicate Walker staying was not an aberation or one of a few isolated incidents. And don't forget, he was later demoted.

If anyone expects any of the asst's. to be talking, they're smoking something that is not legal.

Sorry, I can't agree with that example validating that an existing coach will stay if TL moves on.

Usually coaches will stay on if the head as retired or left on their own accord. They usually don't stay on if heads are fired. The new coach would like to start fresh and get rid of anything connected with the old program.

Bruce Weber at Illinois was told by their AD to keep one of his predecesser's assistants as an assistant on his staff and is still there. So, it does happen and Walthall has a lot of experience from having been both a coach and an AD that might make the new hire's job a lot easier to manage. And as was pointed out, he is the one that had the real relationships with the incoming recruits, not Lick.