Wadley to the Slot?

ATLHawkeye

Wadley is clearly at his best when he gets the ball in space. Running him into a brick wall multiple times per game is pointless. With our weak receiving corp, and the emergence of two good young running backs, does it not make sense to move Wadley to the slot where he'd get the ball in space all the time? It seems to me he would be unstoppable from there and they can use Toren Young to run into brick walls... Since evidently BF thinks somebody just has to do it, even when it's obviously not working!

Wadley is clearly at his best when he gets the ball in space. Running him into a brick wall multiple times per game is pointless. With our weak receiving corp, and the emergence of two good young running backs, does it not make sense to move Wadley to the slot where he'd get the ball in space all the time? It seems to me he would be unstoppable from there and they can use Toren Young to run into brick walls... Since evidently BF thinks somebody just has to do it, even when it's obviously not working!

I don't think that our WR corp is weak. I think they could be the strength of the offense, if allowed to be. They're getting open. ISM and Easley are really good. We do need another to step up. MVB hasn't been himself, not sure why, but he'll get there. I don't know that I'd have AW exclusively in the slot, but certainly would and motion him, as well. Need to go to 2 tb sets. I would like to see AW and IKM in the backfield together.

I don't think that our WR corp is weak. I think they could be the strength of the offense, if allowed to be. They're getting open. ISM and Easley are really good. We do need another to step up. MVB hasn't been himself, not sure why, but he'll get there. I don't know that I'd have AW exclusively in the slot, but certainly would and motion him, as well. Need to go to 2 tb sets. I would like to see AW and IKM in the backfield together.
Agree. You have to get the ball into your playmaker's hands where he can be the most effective. Just like Barkley for PSU. Wadley should be used in multiple ways. Give something for opposing defenses to think about.

That wall will eventually break, even if it's too late.

How many of you skipped a heart beat when Wadley high stepped one stride on the TD?

I loved it. He seemed like a happy little kid who obediently handed the footall to the ref like trying to stay out of trouble.

Ya. I laughed, He looked like he caught himself when he quickly turned around. Part of that Highstep was avoiding a tackler I think

Is our run blocking different? I mean teams have always stacked the box against Iowa and it's rarely this bad.

The line definitely makes blocking changes. It seems like they mostly run the inside outside type zone to start games but if that isnt working, like last nite where PSU's speed shut down that blocking scheme, then they will change.

Last nite we noticed in the 2nd half that Daniels and the guards were pulling some and trying to wall off blockers and other times it looked like more straight ahead blocking .

I cant remember now who it was but on Wadley's TD run one of the Oline got just enough of their lbkr to spring him.

Move Wadley around, use him some as a decoy early in the game to burn the opponent and make them play a little more straight up rather than flowing every play to Wadley.

Have him in the backfield, the slot or even way out wide. He also runs good routes out of the backfield.

So, tell me which running back is going to thrive running into a brick wall?

Move Wadley to slot and he gets, at most, five touches a game.

Agreed all around, except the weak wr part, I think we have more skill there than we have seen on over 15 years( early drops notwithstanding). Between Vande, Easley, ISM, Fant, and Wadley....gotta find a way to throw more.

Absolutely agree on using Young, IKM, or a healthy Butler as a battering ram...if you feel need to grind...but that grind has to be used to see up pass...sooner.

So, tell me which running back is going to thrive running into a brick wall?

Move Wadley to slot and he gets, at most, five touches a game.

They are not. You missed his point.

I'm not saying it's effective, certainly not to the extent they tried in Sat. But if you are gonna do it to stay committed to run (again, not quite to that level), use a fresh back. But do it to set up quick play action sooner.

They are not. You missed his point.

I'm not saying it's effective, certainly not to the extent they tried in Sat. But if you are gonna do it to stay committed to run (again, not quite to that level), use a fresh back. But do it to set up quick play action sooner.
So, you're saying use it to set up play action instead of running into the same wall again? Did you apply for the OC job and if not, why?

So, you're saying use it to set up play action instead of running into the same wall again? Did you apply for the OC job and if not, why?

Can't say I wasn't screaming for what we saw in the last 4 possessions....in the proceeding 6. I just have to hang on the hope we would have if we'd moved the chains more early. I don't mind the idea of committing to run(even if unsuccessful)... I do mind staying with it about 5 possessions to long.

Ironicly, if Wadley would have been called for the high step and they called the TD back, odds are Iowa would have won the game.

Can't say I wasn't screaming for what we saw in the last 4 possessions....in the proceeding 6. I just have to hang on the hope we would have if we'd moved the chains more early. I don't mind the idea of committing to run(even if unsuccessful)... I do mind staying with it about 5 possessions to long.
That's probably where we disagree. I'm ok with opening the game running into it one time to just gauge what the OL can do and/or setting up play action, but it was obvious that it was pointless and we continued to do it over and over.
What year was it when we had to be predominantly pass with Tate? Until either we can run on these 8 man fronts or we stop seeing them, we're just going to have to be pass dominant. Just because we get a couple overthrows or drops, doesn't mean we should bail on the passing game, especially when the running isn't doing jack.

That's probably where we disagree. I'm ok with opening the game running into it one time to just gauge what the OL can do and/or setting up play action, but it was obvious that it was pointless and we continued to do it over and over.
What year was it when we had to be predominantly pass with Tate? Until either we can run on these 8 man fronts or we stop seeing them, we're just going to have to be pass dominant. Just because we get a couple overthrows or drops, doesn't mean we should bail on the passing game, especially when the running isn't doing jack.

I think we agree for the most part. In the last few possessions, after a number of completely passes, we were able to run...

Latest posts