Van Ginkel to Wisconsin

He fits really well in the Wisky 3-4 as an outside backer.

Yeah, some stuff started coming out on another site saying he was probably gonna commit to the Badgers soon. Some guys on another board were pretty consistent in saying that this was the case, (he preferred the outside backer position over putting his hand on the ground) and that ultimately he would decide to go to a 3-4 scheme.

Wisconsin has been on a roll with recruits as of late ..........4 new ones in the last 10 days, 3 over scholarship limit and still looking for a safety for this class (Scott Nelson?). One of their latest verbals is a RB out of NJ (recent Rutgers decommit) so maybe helps our cause with Branch since Wisky had him in last weekend.

Reaching deeper into the recruiting cookie jar once again seems to be where we're headed. On the brighter side, maybe it's good we're not trying to fill a class of 30 this year.

Tis the time of year to reach deeper into the recruiting cookie jar. We lost on VG, so we go to plan B. I'm betting we start targeting more DT type players rather than DE now that VG is off the table.

Tis the time of year to reach deeper into the recruiting cookie jar. We lost on VG, so we go to plan B. I'm betting we start targeting more DT type players rather than DE now that VG is off the table.

To your point, just saw this morning about this fella getting some recent interest from Iowa...........

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/183552

Few, if any, offers......why? Located in the middle of OH, you'll get noticed if you're good. Maybe there's more to the story..........good size.

Iowa has both Nelson's, Hesse, Epenesa coming in at that spot. They're young but experienced at D end and they're good players. Badgers might have some early entry's opening up playing time and their style fits better. What's he have, 2 years to play? He might get more PT at Wisconsin than he would at Iowa.

He seemed to be on the lighter side of 235ish right? I totally see him fitting in as a 3-4 DE/LB which obviously don't fit Iowa... Didn't Iowa just get a handful of DEs in the last class not to mention Epenesa? I'm not too worried about losing him. As nice as it would have been to get him...

Meh. He was a juco for a reason. With the success Wisky defense is having hopefully he understand that the DC may not be there much longer.

Meh. He was a juco for a reason. With the success Wisky defense is having hopefully he understand that the DC may not be there much longer.

I wanted him because the staff wanted him. They don't offer JUCO's very often, so they saw something they liked. I was always a little confused on this one though as he has been out of High school for 2 years now, and is 6'4" 235 that just isn't big enough in Iowa's system.

I didn't think a 3-4 zone blitz scheme would work at a school like Wisconsin. i didn't think they could get the personnel to make it work. Clearly, I was was wrong. Van Ginkel is a perfect fit for what they are doing. I am basing it just on the highlights I have seen of the kid. He is either going to be coming off the edge as a pass rusher or just dropping into a zone in pass coverage.......Basically, cover anything that comes into the flat. He will never be isolated on a receiver the way Iowa linebackers are in zone coverage.

At Iowa he would likely be asked to put his hand in the dirt and be a DE. I get why he is going to Wisconsin.

I wanted him because the staff wanted him. They don't offer JUCO's very often, so they saw something they liked. I was always a little confused on this one though as he has been out of High school for 2 years now, and is 6'4" 235 that just isn't big enough in Iowa's system.

Which is why I wasn't real high on him. The longer his recruitment went the less chance we had of getting him. I'm sure he'll be a nice player, but how many JUCO's have been All-Big Ten caliber players in the past twenty years? Not many. We are fine at DE, anyways. My two cents...

Didn't your insider knowledge have him at Iowa??

Actually knew about a week ago he was gonna be a Badger, or at least all the info coming out was pointing hard in that direction. If I was part of 247 I would have change my "Crystal Ball" to Wisconsin last week.

But to your point yeah I thought he was gonna be a Hawk. His recruiting was really really quiet. The only time any news about him was really out there was last week and that was he was gonna be a badger.

Well, if Wisky was interested, we were never going to get him. Anyone know any scrappy gritty 1* kids from Iowa we could beat out South Dakota State for?

Latest posts