Updated USA Today preseason ratings, NW in, Iowa out

guffus

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...op-25-2019-season-clemson-alabama/3561747002/

Latest college football preseason Top 25 ratings. NW joins OSU, Mich, PSU, Neb, Wisc and Iowa St in the top 25. Iowa dropped out of the top 25. Guess they were not impressed with Iowa's spring performance.

Also I am confused about who Northwestern's starting QB is in 2019. One story I read says its the guy that played last year behind Thorsan. Other stories say it is the QB that transferred from Clemson and sat out in 2018, who is expected to be the new starter.

Kelly Bryant transferred to Mizzu not Northwestern. Unless they had their third string QB transfer as well. Not sure how NW loses their 4 year starter at QB and gets ranked.

Would also love to know their rationale for ranking ISU and not Iowa. Both lost 2 key offensive performers but Iowa returns the better roster.

Would also love to know their rationale for ranking ISU and not Iowa. Both lost 2 key offensive performers but Iowa returns the better roster.
My only explanation is that a potentially good defense stands out more in the Big 12 than it would in most conferences. It's like baseball in the 1980's and 1990's where everyone thought Cecil Fielder was such a big slugger because he would occasionally hit tape measure home runs that would make Sports Center. In reality his career slugging percentage was lower than Will Clark's.

The inclusion of Nebraska at 19 removes all credibility from this poll. Let's pump the brakes on the Husker renaissance and let them get bowl eligible first. 19 is ridiculous!

Kelly Bryant transferred to Mizzu not Northwestern. Unless they had their third string QB transfer as well. Not sure how NW loses their 4 year starter at QB and gets ranked.

Hunter Johnson

I believe he was a 5 star that saw the same thing Bryant did. That Trevor Lawerence was special and to get playing time he was going to have to get out of Dodge.

Impression I get is that he is a dual threat guy that can really spin it when he has to. A better version of a healthy Thorson. I get why they are rated and most peoples "sneaky" pick to win the West.

I will have the last laugh, Pike...

I think you will. Not so much a bold prediction as a safe one. KF has a winning conference record against 3 of the 5 and the other 2 have no inherent advantages. It would be bold to predict Iowa wins less than 3. Which, like you, I don't see happening.

Iowa is so disrespected in May.

I dont care if we are getting points at #28 or if we are #20 as so much can happen to all those teams. The gurus are pretty accurate about the top 10 in the preseason. There are usually a couple of top 10 teams that lose a couple by Nov and drop out of the top 10. But usually 7 or 8 of those early top 10 teams hang around undefeated or only with one loss for most of the season. At sometime an undefeated team is going to have a tough matchup in conference and lose.

I am not taking any games for granted but if Iowa wins their first 4 then it sets up a huge couple games with Mich and PSU. The game in Ames is again sort of a 'tell' on how the hawks will be ranked throughout the season. Start off 4-0 and if a few teams ahead of them in the polls stumble which happens quite often then they get ranked. Even if they lose one of Mich or PSU then they are ranked.

One game at a time and if things go their way I can see them being 9-3 in Dec.

I dont care if we are getting points at #28 or if we are #20 as so much can happen to all those teams. The gurus are pretty accurate about the top 10 in the preseason. There are usually a couple of top 10 teams that lose a couple by Nov and drop out of the top 10. But usually 7 or 8 of those early top 10 teams hang around undefeated or only with one loss for most of the season. At sometime an undefeated team is going to have a tough matchup in conference and lose.

I am not taking any games for granted but if Iowa wins their first 4 then it sets up a huge couple games with Mich and PSU. The game in Ames is again sort of a 'tell' on how the hawks will be ranked throughout the season. Start off 4-0 and if a few teams ahead of them in the polls stumble which happens quite often then they get ranked. Even if they lose one of Mich or PSU then they are ranked.

One game at a time and if things go their way I can see them being 9-3 in Dec.

I’d sign for a 9-3 at this second. I’m thinking more of a 7-5.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...op-25-2019-season-clemson-alabama/3561747002/

Latest college football preseason Top 25 ratings. NW joins OSU, Mich, PSU, Neb, Wisc and Iowa St in the top 25. Iowa dropped out of the top 25. Guess they were not impressed with Iowa's spring performance.

Also I am confused about who Northwestern's starting QB is in 2019. One story I read says its the guy that played last year behind Thorsan. Other stories say it is the QB that transferred from Clemson and sat out in 2018, who is expected to be the new starter.

We are so screwed. I've poured gasoline all over myself...I swear I'm going to light this match.

Latest posts