TX QB says Hawkeyes Looking to Open Up Passing Game

Looks like an accurate thrower on deep balls. I know this is a high light reel, but he hit some receivers in tough spots on a dime and also let huis receivers run after catches.

Interesting early offer as he is a junior. Hope he gets to play a lot this fall to give a lot of tape to people. But he has lots of offers and we can check in on it next fall or when early signing periods happen.

I think our passing game is pretty well opened up now.
Yeah unless they are going to get away from wanting to be balanced and still be a traditional offense I'd say what they've done the last couple yrs is pretty 'opened up' for them. Going back to how Stanley played those last couple yrs too I'd say I'll be surprised if they try opening it up much more

Opening up is great if it does not include so many passes behind the line and/or shorter than five yards.

Open it up a little more................. translation........... instead of throwing four yard passes we are going to throw six yard passes mingled of course with a variety of zone running plays. What’s it been now................. hmmmm........ twenty two years and suddenly we’re going to open it up???

The only thing that might open up is Kirk’s own Saving & Loan Bank.

Opening up is great if it does not include so many passes behind the line and/or shorter than five yards.
Kid has big hands and long fingers/ throws a nice spiral. Has a great deep ball, I could see us putting in a little West Coast offense for him. (West Coast isn't some magical, mystical offense. The QB simply looks deep first, then if no one is coming open, checks down.)

You guys know that check downs are there when primary receivers are covered, right? Oh wait. I guess you don’t.
I think anyone who watched Iowa QB's over the last few years saw a VERY limited number of check downs. Stanley locked on to a receiver before he left the huddle 90% of the time. Petras is trying to survey the field a little more, but he was inexperienced this year. The coaches had more weapons at WR than in past years, so more designed plays to them, and many times just counting on them to come down with the ball in coverage.

More check downs would have resulted in more TE targets, particularly Beyer who clearly wasn't getting his number called often from the sideline. I think Ragaini would have benefited from that greatly as well, as he creates quick spacing on his routes.

Last edited:
I think anyone who watched Iowa QB's over the last few years saw a VERY limited number of check downs. Stanley locked on to a receiver before he left the huddle 90% of the time. Petras is trying to survey the field a little more, but he was inexperienced this year. The coaches had more weapons at WR than in past years, so more designed plays to them, and many times just counting on them to come down with the ball in coverage.

More check downs would have resulted in more TE targets, particularly Beyer who clearly wasn't getting his number called often from the sideline. I think Ragaini would have benefited from that greatly as well, as he creates quick spacing on his routes.
Check downs are check downs. Tight ends, running backs, or wide receivers. Whether a QB locks in on a receiver is irrelevant in regard to check downs.

Check downs are check downs. Tight ends, running backs, or wide receivers. Whether a QB locks in on a receiver is irrelevant in regard to check downs.
What in the world are you talking about? lol A check down is by definition affected by whether a QB is locking on to their no. 1 receiver. If the QB throws the ball to the covered no. 1 receiver, he is not checking down properly in most cases. It is determined by either pre-reading the defense, or by processing through the receivers once the play unfolds. Stanley mostly just muscled the ball in to whoever the no. 1 option was coming out of the huddle, and while Petras tries to go through progressions, he still needs a little more seasoning, and to speed up his processing time. Check downs are meant to help the offense keep out of 3rd and 10 situations, and are much more effective on 1st and 2nd downs. They're not as effective on 3rd and long, as most defenses will gladly give you 7-8 yards on 3rd and 10. Conversely, well-timed check downs earlier in the series often become explosive plays. How in the world is locking in on a receiver irrelevant in regards to check downs. Maybe, I'm just not understanding what you're trying to say.

You and I have no significant disagreement. Anyway, my initial response to this matter was to point out that Iowa does not throw all kinds of short patterns, except when necessary. Every football game I have ever watched has several check downs, typically when favored receiver options one and two, and rarely, three, aren’t open. I did not mean to say that QB’s don’t stare down receivers. See it all the time.

You and I have no significant disagreement. Anyway, my initial response to this matter was to point out that Iowa does not throw all kinds of short patterns, except when necessary. Every football game I have ever watched has several check downs, typically when favored receiver options one and two, and rarely, three, aren’t open. I did not mean to say that QB’s don’t stare down receivers. See it all the time.

Well, if you've been to or watched a game in the Brian Ferentz era you'd see that the guy does a wonderful job of getting someone open deep in the passing game. It's actually impressive and a big reason I back him as OC (assuming KOK is out of the question) and think he's got the chops to be a good HC one day. However, the guy who gets open is read 4 or 5 and we'll have multiple plays a game with a dude absolutely wide open 20+ yards downfield and it results in either a 4 yard gain on a crossing route or pass into the flat for 2 yards.

Well, if you've been to or watched a game in the Brian Ferentz era you'd see that the guy does a wonderful job of getting someone open deep in the passing game. It's actually impressive and a big reason I back him as OC (assuming KOK is out of the question) and think he's got the chops to be a good HC one day. However, the guy who gets open is read 4 or 5 and we'll have multiple plays a game with a dude absolutely wide open 20+ yards downfield and it results in either a 4 yard gain on a crossing route or pass into the flat for 2 yards.
I'm not as sold as you are on Brian. I think he falls in love with game plans and personnel sets that are destined to fail, and stays with them far too long. The worst this year was the Northwestern game, where he relied on a QB in his second start, and with a 17 point lead to air it out as the offense absolutely fizzled, and he abandoned the run game.

Part of these reason the 4th and 5th reads are wide open is because the defense knows who Iowa will target in certain sets, and our QB's have 0 chance of getting it to a 3rd, much less 4th read. I watched far too many games over the last two-three years, where I could name who was going to be targeted by the personnel and situation in the game. With Ragaini, Tracy, Smith, Smith-Marsette, Beyer, and Laporta, there is absolutely no reason for that to happen.

Last edited:
I wouldn't fall in love with this guy yet, he has a long list of suiters. Probable not worth the keystroke to even be talking about him yet. Once he sees more of Iowa, I doubt he will be interested as dual/threat QB's don't do so well with playing time at Iowa. Would love me a strong armed QB that had a little mobility though.