Two good things from today's game

Someone better light a fire under someones arse... because if not this team is going to be hard pressed to even reach bowl eligibility.

Iowa's winning formula was there today. Play tough defense, allow some yards, but make it hard to score TDs. And the offense did what it usually does, which is try to run the ball and struggle with lack of athletes and speed on the outside.

I am so pumped with the win, what a great slobber knocker win! The special teams and defense were in particularly great today!

1) raider package was Really effective today (albeit against Rutgers).

2) pass protection was better, not great, but better.

3) Running game was solid, would have looked awesome if not for a garbage chop block call. That isn't a bad call, it's awful. That was simply a brilliant reach block...it was absolutely perfect. That's a ref that does not understand the difference, and that is bs.

4) we seem to have a great punter

That's right, I've seen a lot of Hawkeye games over the years. I have seen them win in just about every imaginable way. Blow out or not I am happy with every single one of the wins including this one. As it just so happened this one was a throwback type win. I think it's been since the Wisconsin game last year where there was one like this. There is just something about these style of wins that I enjoy seeing.

I'll add a couple more:

- the coverage on their td, by Jackson, was pretty darn good, simply a great catch and throw (that said, the drive we we gave up for them to get there is concerning).

- we are likely a rb trip(again) and a bogus chop block away from a 28-7 win (28-14 without the goalline stand or 24-14 if we kick the FG)....I know, iknow.... if if if...didnt.

We have issues, without question, wayyyy to many issues still. It appeared we were a little better than last week overall, but I don't know if it was playing Rutgers or actual improvement. We'll get a better idea next week as while NW isn't great, they will be a good barometer if we have any chance at the West.

An uptick in CJ's play(which I still am confident we will see), a little more gelling on the Oline, playcalling consistency(Run the damnn ball when it's working! and get CJ some possession throws...and I think...maybe....we can see a team we hoped we would.

Stay healthy, find a win next week, improve, and find some confidence.

I'm not super confident but we'll see.

Go Hawks

Latest posts