Top-Ranked Iowa Wrestling Destroys Illinois

Told my wife i need to start watching right at the top of the hour or I’d miss Lee’s pin. That’s a fantastic 1-2-3 lineup, and all three could get to the last match of the year.

I will admit to hate watching Warner wrestle. Lot of talent there, and he’ll do well in the tourney, but I’d like to see more aggression from him.

Truly a “Murderer’s Row”!
I DVR every match, this is a special team.
Lee is a once a generation talent and LOVE the high-rpm motor on ADS, but there’s something so unique about watching Eierman wrestle. Never seen such a cat-toying-with-mouse confident calmness. Extra prayer tonight for TheBull to recover quickly!

#FUCovid

I will admit to hate watching Warner wrestle. Lot of talent there, and he’ll do well in the tourney, but I’d like to see more aggression from him.
197 and HWT are like that. Head and hand fighting are the name of the game. In those weight classes it's more about waiting for one guy to screw up and capitalizing on it rather than going on the offensive. Tom has talked about that in quite a few interviews; it's why they leave those upper weights to Telford and Morningstar...Tom and Terry's style of wrestling was to blow your doors off and score ridiculous amounts points, as close to freestyle wrestling in folkstyle as you can get. The bigger classes when you get two relatively equal guys those matches are usually 3-1 or 1-0 and the Brands don't coach that way.

As far as Warners match yesterday, there was nothing he could really do. Wroblewski was playing total defense and not allowing Warner to get enough closure for takedowns. Once he got in the down position he never fought with his body for the escape, all he did was stand up and tried working Warner's hands (which isn't going to work). If he wanted out he needed to sit up and push back with his hips to get the escape, which he didn't do. He was either scared of going neutral or just not coached well enough. Warner had two options: stick with the mat returns and control the match, or cut him and give up the escape and let Wroblewski duck him the entire match. If Warner did that and got frustrated he could be in a bad spot with no way to make it up.

The Iowa media generally don't know a damn thing about wrestling--let alone wrestling strategy--and you can tell Brands knew their questions about Warner's aggressiveness were dumb. Warner did exactly what he should have and controlled all 3 periods completely. He wrestled a great match.

Last edited:
I get it, but it’s like soccer to me. It’s slow, and I can appreciate the technical ‘goodness’ of what Warner did yesterday just like I can appreciate a good soccer match. But I prefer the raw aggression of the lower weight classes.

Oh, and I’d say the same thing about watching Murin and sometimes Young.