Tiger Hawk Logo is 30 years old

SPGroth

This story was shown on the 10pm KCRG news last night. We noticed one error in their original broadcast. They stated the Tiger Hawk logo was removed only once, for the Gang Lu shootings in 1991. The Hawkeyes also removed the logo for the 1996 Alamo Bowl when a mother of a Hawkeye football player was killed while traveling to San Antonio for the game. They corrected this error on the 5am news today.

Tiger Hawk Born 30 Years Ago | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather | Sports

I thought the Tiger Hawk was forged in the fires of Mordor out of steel mined in the Caves of Moria by an expert elven swordsmith from Lothlorian some 40,000 years ago...some total dorknerd actually told me something like this once...Im not too great on my LOTR lingo so I apologize to any former marching band member that cares to correct me...[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of this. Sure you didn't play the tuba??

I wonder how many teams have not made any alterations to their helmets in the past 30 years?

Michigan's current helmet has been around since 1976. Iowa's since 1979. Ohio State's since 1968. Penn State's was 1987.

In the Big 12, Oklahoma & Texas since 1977.

None in the Big East, though West Virginia has had their helmet look since 1980

In the ACC, Clemson in 1977, FSU since 1977,

In the Pac 10, there were none....In 2001 USC went back to the helmet they had in 1972-1987. So that doesn't count.

In the SEC, Alabama since 1960, Florida since 1979 (Same as Iowa).

So there are just SEVEN schools in all of the BCS that have had their current helmet look longer than Iowa...which is very interesting. It's a solid tradition that Iowa should never change.

The TigerHawk is one of the most recognizable logos in sports...everyone relates the TigerHawk to the Hawkeyes. What is up with Florida though? I mean they should be able to find something better to put on their helmets other than the word "gators"!

I thought the Tiger Hawk was forged in the fires of Mordor out of steel mined in the Caves of Moria by an expert elven swordsmith from Lothlorian some 40,000 years ago...some total dorknerd actually told me something like this once...Im not too great on my LOTR lingo so I apologize to any former marching band member that cares to correct me...

Sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of this. Sure you didn't play the tuba??[/QUOTE]

I've seen the movies multiple times on TNT...they are not as good as Star Wars, which I am a nerd of

Latest posts