This team will not be a .500 team

This is a terrible set back for the basketball program. Very shocking given the high expectations for this team. Playing the youth card is total garbage given the percentage of scoring that came back from last years team.

I was listening on WHO radio and just shaking my head. Two terrible losses that will surely come back to haunt us even if Fran gets this train back on the tracks.

I'm pretty deflated right now. I had hopes that they would build of the late game wins last year and have those games more consistently. Now it's pretty obvious those few games were just a short run of playing really well. Not a sign of their average play moving up.

They have no value of a possession at either end of the court. We get the ball underneath, there are 3 people there to hammer us. They get it underneath, we have 3 people standing there watching them lay it in. We were so bad the last 2 games that we needed good shooting games to have a chance against bad teams. We should need bad shooting games for the other team to have a chance.

The first half of last game, we played bad. That should have made it a close game at half. Instead it meant we were down 20. The last 3 halfs we played average and that wasn't good enough to be better than sun 100 RPI teams. To me that makes us a sub 100 RPI team.

This is a terrible set back for the basketball program. Very shocking given the high expectations for this team. Playing the youth card is total garbage given the percentage of scoring that came back from last years team.

I was listening on WHO radio and just shaking my head. Two terrible losses that will surely come back to haunt us even if Fran gets this train back on the tracks.

The only youth that is excusable is Nunge and Garza. I still have hopes for the future because of them. I think this sophomore class just isn't going to cut it tho. As far as the hopes I had for them goes.

The only youth that is excusable is Nunge and Garza. I still have hopes for the future because of them. I think this sophomore class just isn't going to cut it tho. As far as the hopes I had for them goes.

Agreed.

That comment was not directed at our freshmen it was directed at the fans who want to play the “we are young” card as an excuse. Someone posted after the first loss that we lost to a team with no seniors on it.

Agreed.

That comment was not directed at our freshmen it was directed at the fans who want to play the “we are young” card as an excuse. Someone posted after the first loss that we lost to a team with no seniors on it.

We can say we are young so we will get better over the next 2 years. But if we are bad this year, we will only be average next year. I was hoping for good this year and great next year. Its still possible with another year for the freshmen and Wiescamp, but it's a lot less likely as of now. Sucks.

Listened to Bobby on the radio talk about guard play from SDS. He made a comment about tough guard play from them....he thought we needed some of that from our guards I think is what he was getting at. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one Bobby. Yikes

The lack of an athletic point guard (that just about EVERY other team has) is continuing to kill us. I find it hard to understand how teams like SDSU can have better point guards than Iowa. Year after year.

That is not the only problem, mind you. Defense and execution are terrible.

I'm actually pretty surprised at the lack of O. I'm not surprised we stink at D this group has never been good at that. But Cook has laid an egg down there along with Garza. Moss is about the only one that's played up to or better then expected so far. Nunge has played alright. I dunno I just think it's going to be a season of inconsistency and on the off chance 3 or 4 of those guys can all put it together for a game is when we'll see them beat someone. But if only one or 2 guys are on and the rest are as off as they've been.. Pff long season ahead. I'm just afraid there's going to be too much on JBos shoulders.

The officiating was rubbish. They called fouls when sdsu shot 3 pointers and no one even touched them. No way there was a foul on the Cook block either. Several times Iowa players got hacked, but they were no calls. On some Iowa shot attempts when they were fouled that did not get the and 1. The calls were terribly one sided. If this game had been called even Iowa would have won. Iowa will have a successful season because this is a very good team even without one of it's best players, and a critical back up player. In football Iowa will smash Nebraska and win a bowl game in Nashville. The wrestling team has a lot of exceptional young talent, and they are a championship level team. They won their 3 matches this year by a combined total of 119-12. Sam Stoll is back in action, and got a huge pin on Friday! The volleyball team is still in contention to make the NCAA tournament they have a big match coming up against Illinois tomorrow at 7:00. The women's basketball team is 4-0, and have already beaten 2 teams that were in the NCAA tournament last year. Tomorrow at 12:30 they will be playing in the Puerto Rico classic against Morgan State. I am pumped for that game! Tomorrow will be a busy day for any Hawkeye sports fan. It's a great time to be a Hawk!

The officiating was rubbish. They called fouls when sdsu shot 3 pointers and no one even touched them. No way there was a foul on the Cook block either. Several times Iowa players got hacked, but they were no calls. On some Iowa shot attempts when they were fouled that did not get the and 1. The calls were terribly one sided. If this game had been called even Iowa would have won. Iowa will have a successful season because this is a very good team even without one of it's best players, and a critical back up player. In football Iowa will smash Nebraska and win a bowl game in Nashville. The wrestling team has a lot of exceptional young talent, and they are a championship level team. They won their 3 matches this year by a combined total of 119-12. Sam Stoll is back in action, and got a huge pin on Friday! The volleyball team is still in contention to make the NCAA tournament they have a big match coming up against Illinois tomorrow at 7:00. The women's basketball team is 4-0, and have already beaten 2 teams that were in the NCAA tournament last year. Tomorrow at 12:30 they will be playing in the Puerto Rico classic against Morgan State. I am pumped for that game! Tomorrow will be a busy day for any Hawkeye sports fan. It's a great time to be a Hawk!
This guy^^

laughing-gifs-kill-you.gif

give it up, nobody believes you.

Iowa has never been good on defense. Its like Fran doesn't stress it. Think about it we just do not defend well and haven't defended 3 well either.

I would say as bad as our perimeter defense is, our interior defense it twice as bad. I've never seen so many guys just stand there and watch people score over them. Its embarrassing.

I would say as bad as our perimeter defense is, our interior defense it twice as bad. I've never seen so many guys just stand there and watch people score over them. Its embarrassing.

Frankly, IMO, Iowa has never been particularly good on defense as long as I can remember, going back to the Mr. Davis days. Not on the perimeter, anyway. At least back in those days we had Acie Earl, etc.

Pretty deflating start to the year. I was hoping that this year we'd be back in the NCAA's after a near miss last season, but it looks like an uphill climb now. Someone posted that last year's late season success was against teams that were struggling at the time (Wisconsin & MD) - maybe they were on to something.

Starting to lose a little faith here that Fran hasn't already taken us as far as he can... Yeah, the future is bright.. Good recruits coming, etc. etc. Thing is, we say that every year. Hell, a few people were saying it even when Lick was here. Seriously. Cody Larson was supposed to be our savior. Fast forward a few years, and here we are, still looking to the future.

Keep chasing that dangling carrot.... Always JUST out of reach, isn't it?

Business-man-reaches-for-carrot.jpg

Our interior defense is as bad as I've ever seen it. Other teams can't miss when they go in the post.

We can say we are young so we will get better over the next 2 years. But if we are bad this year, we will only be average next year. I was hoping for good this year and great next year. Its still possible with another year for the freshmen and Wiescamp, but it's a lot less likely as of now. Sucks.

That was my chain of thought also. Good this year, great the next.

The season is still young and there is time to improve but there is an underlying problem with the defense of Fran’s team and that lies squarely on the coaching staff. They are responsible to recruit and coach players and can play defense in a power five conference. It’s not getting done and we can all clearly see it. Ironically that was Todd’s strong point (defense) but his offense was a total failure. Lute and Tom did a good job of teaching both. Tom’s recruiting hurt him. If he could have kept George around as a recruiter the two of them would have built Iowa into a national power house. It’s so hard to put all the pieces together.

Lute has the magical touch and built Iowa up to a level we have not seen since. He went on to do the same at Arizona.

I am not throwing the towel in on Fran but I have said more than on one occasion that the day of judgement is coming quickly to Fran’s door step. Quick outs in the BTT and NCAA tournament is not going to cut it for too much longer.

Let’s not jump over board just yet. Yes I am dismayed by these two losses, but am hoping Fran’s can get things back on track.

Our interior defense is as bad as I've ever seen it. Other teams can't miss when they go in the post.

Actually SDSU missed about four layups in the first ten minutes today, that's why I was so surprised Iowa couldn't pull away early. But then Iowa missed few as well and SDSU started hitting threes (and six free throws off the fouls on threes, which were big).

Latest posts