This is why players opt out of meaningless bowl games

Seth53

• 2022 Draft salary figues (B1G sampling)

• No. 2 – Detroit Lions, DE Aidan Hutchinson, Michigan: $35,713,386 total value; $23,153,372 signing bonus
  • No. 10 – New York Jets, WR Garrett Wilson, Ohio State: $20,554,004 total value; $12,128,366 signing bonus
  • No. 11 – New Orleans Saints, WR Chris Olave, Ohio State: $19,271,875 total value; $11,195,909 signing bonus
  • No. 16 – Washington Commanders, WR Jahan Dotson, Penn State: $15,048,358 total value; $8,124,260 signing bonus
  • No. 25 – Baltimore Ravens, C Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa: $13,238,286 total value; $6,807,844 signing bonus
  • No. 30 – Kansas City Chiefs, DE George Karlaftis, Purdue: $11,935,481 total value; $5,860,350 signing bonus
  • No. 31 Cincinnati Bengals, S Dax Hill, Michigan: $11,667,014 total value; $5,665,101 signing bonus

You'd risk this for some fleeting loyalty? I think not. Sorry, the NCAA is a business.

Not sure where to put this, but I'll drop it here. On a scale from 0-10, anything below a 5 is bad. I realize this isn't the only thing that determines how good of a player he is, but I was pretty surprised he scored this low. Looked pretty athletic against us.

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 1.04.35 PM.png

Not sure where to put this, but I'll drop it here. On a scale from 0-10, anything below a 5 is bad. I realize this isn't the only thing that determines how good of a player he is, but I was pretty surprised he scored this low. Looked pretty athletic against us.

View attachment 8976
Yeah, that's a lot of red. Dude can catch the rock, tho, and I wouldn't bet against him. I'm not sure how Jerry Rice would have fared with those measurements either.

Yeah, that's a lot of red. Dude can catch the rock, tho, and I wouldn't bet against him. I'm not sure how Jerry Rice would have fared with those measurements either.
Yep. What those measurables don't show is things like route running. Instead of speed, he's an incredible route runner which gives him separation. I think he'll be fine. I guess I'll have to cheer for him since my Browns took him. Hope we play Iowa every week.

• 2022 Draft salary figues (B1G sampling)

• No. 2 – Detroit Lions, DE Aidan Hutchinson, Michigan: $35,713,386 total value; $23,153,372 signing bonus
  • No. 10 – New York Jets, WR Garrett Wilson, Ohio State: $20,554,004 total value; $12,128,366 signing bonus
  • No. 11 – New Orleans Saints, WR Chris Olave, Ohio State: $19,271,875 total value; $11,195,909 signing bonus
  • No. 16 – Washington Commanders, WR Jahan Dotson, Penn State: $15,048,358 total value; $8,124,260 signing bonus
  • No. 25 – Baltimore Ravens, C Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa: $13,238,286 total value; $6,807,844 signing bonus
  • No. 30 – Kansas City Chiefs, DE George Karlaftis, Purdue: $11,935,481 total value; $5,860,350 signing bonus
  • No. 31 Cincinnati Bengals, S Dax Hill, Michigan: $11,667,014 total value; $5,665,101 signing bonus

You'd risk this for some fleeting loyalty? I think not. Sorry, the NCAA is a business.

iirc, everyone of these guys played in their bowl game except Karlaftis. Point well taken, however. Bowl games are more meaningless than ever. Iowa/Kentucky...I believe every draft prospect that played got drafted about where they were predicted to go.

Disregard that last sentence I can't remember if Belton played in that game or not.

Looked pretty athletic against us.

Dude is definitely good, but you have to remember that our defensive scheme is really bad against good WRs who have even a marginally competent QB. We're relying on mistakes. I remember when James Hardy got drafted out of Indiana almost every highlight they showed was against Iowa and then he was out of the league in a few years.

I think Goodson got bad guidance. Heard that family matters pressed him to head for NFL. Damn shame

I think the NFL can tell who they want after 2 years of tape at RB. They'll dismiss fumbles, drops, missed blocks, etc. as a freshman. Another year wasn't gonna move Goodson up the draft boards.

Rice would've dropped to the mid-2nd to early 3rd if it was about measurables back then.
Yeah even back then with his slow 40 he was taken pretty high in first round. I know Al Toon was taken ahead of him and maybe another WR or 2 tops but not many. Coming from a small college like he was they still knew he was pretty damn good though and he was going to be a 1st rounder.

Bell never had a chance at being a 1st rounder or top 10 receiver. The player I'd compare him to nowadays is Cooper Kupp. He didn't test all that well and isn't blazing fast either he may have been a 4.6 guy too. But dude knows how to play WR. Both those guys have size and can time up their routes with the QBs and catch everything thrown their way. I have no doubt Bell will end up a top 10 WR in this class maybe top 5 before it's all said and done. Plus if/when Watson ends up playing that's probably a good fit for him on the field...

I think Goodson got bad guidance. Heard that family matters pressed him to head for NFL. Damn shame
It depends. RBs are unique in that they only have so many reps in them. I'd love to know to what extent his and his family's expectations were and if they might have any reservations about their decision to go early in hindsight.

That said I doubt it. I think after 3 yrs of playing in college as a RB if you can & want to move on to the NFL that makes sense. With the short careers they have they should want to start their NFL clock towards a 2nd contract just as soon as they can. Not a high % of them even get a 2nd one. So regardless of draft position just getting the foot in the door has value to them compared to risking another yr of college ball.

The thing nowadays guys get to weigh in also is NIL. Could he have made more for just this yr had he came back to Iowa? I bet that's a close call and probably so. I bet he did alright in that department this yr I'd be curious to know. That said he probably didn't break the bank either and risking another yr of college over getting to a 2nd contract in the NFL is tough.

Yeah even back then with his slow 40 he was taken pretty high in first round. I know Al Toon was taken ahead of him and maybe another WR or 2 tops but not many. Coming from a small college like he was they still knew he was pretty damn good though and he was going to be a 1st rounder.

Bell never had a chance at being a 1st rounder or top 10 receiver. The player I'd compare him to nowadays is Cooper Kupp. He didn't test all that well and isn't blazing fast either he may have been a 4.6 guy too. But dude knows how to play WR. Both those guys have size and can time up their routes with the QBs and catch everything thrown their way. I have no doubt Bell will end up a top 10 WR in this class maybe top 5 before it's all said and done. Plus if/when Watson ends up playing that's probably a good fit for him on the field...

There's way too much emphasis put on the 40. Don't get me wrong, there are obviously "speed guys" out there, but there are plenty of guys who run slow 40s but who have great football speed. The 40 doesn't test football speed. Nothing at the combine does. I want to see how a guy runs in full pads with 4 minutes left in the game and gets bumped on the line, not when he's rested, wearing workout gear and has totally perfect conditions. And based on what I've seen, David Bell has football speed.

There's way too much emphasis put on the 40. Don't get me wrong, there are obviously "speed guys" out there, but there are plenty of guys who run slow 40s but who have great football speed. The 40 doesn't test football speed. Nothing at the combine does. I want to see how a guy runs in full pads with 4 minutes left in the game and gets bumped on the line, not when he's rested, wearing workout gear and has totally perfect conditions. And based on what I've seen, David Bell has football speed.
No doubt. Being able to cut quickly getting in and out of breaks smoothly and just being on the same page with their Qbs is more important. So many of the routes nowadays are of the back shoulder variety where timing and being where the Qb is going to throw and how you flip your hips and shoulders for it are paramount. Knowing when to put your hands up and beating the corners is way more important then just flat out running them is.

Don't get me wrong speed is great but as you mentioned most of those 4.3 guys slow down with pads on with DBs bumping/hands on them and having to cut in and out of breaks. It's only a couple times a game a guy is asked to run 40 plus yards in a straight line anyway if that.

Coach Parker says, “Great speed only gives you an advantage if you are going the right way.”

Magic Johnson wasn't blazing fast nor did he ever develop a jump shot. But he could obviously ball. Metrics don't always tell the whole story.

Should probably opt out of Pro Days as well:

And training for the draft:

Lots of things in life have risk associated with them. For a given individual, skipping a bowl game might be really important to allow healing of accumulated injuries and specific combine training. For other individuals, competing with their teammates one last time is the most important consideration. Neither decision is risk-free, and each individual should make the decision that feels right to them.

Latest posts