There Are No Upsets

SomersHawk

I think Fran wasn't just blowing smoke when he said "there are no upsets" in the NCAA Tourney and "seeds mean nothing". It is proving true, again.

College BB is a lot like the NBA by comparison of roster spots available versus the sheer volume of really, REALLY good players out there. And when the rosters are full at the big name schools there are still tons of good ones left over. And generally those players hang around all four years getting better and better, plus have the experience factor on their side as well. Add in the fact lots of them coming out of HS are not turning a lot of heads, but a year or 2 later blow up. See Garza and the Murrays...

The good news by now is I guarantee GCU will not be getting overlooked by the Hawks!

A side note, any yahoo that calls for a coach's head based on not going far enough in the NCAA Tourney is pretty clueless

I think Fran wasn't just blowing smoke when he said "there are no upsets" in the NCAA Tourney and "seeds mean nothing". It is proving true, again.

College BB is a lot like the NBA by comparison of roster spots available versus the sheer volume of really, REALLY good players out there. And when the rosters are full at the big name schools there are still tons of good ones left over. And generally those players hang around all four years getting better and better, plus have the experience factor on their side as well. Add in the fact lots of them coming out of HS are not turning a lot of heads, but a year or 2 later blow up. See Garza and the Murrays...

The good news by now is I guarantee GCU will not be getting overlooked by the Hawks!

A side note, any yahoo that calls for a coach's head based on not going far enough in the NCAA Tourney is pretty clueless
Sounds like you’re setting us up for a loss or something.

Guaranteed Iowa does not lose this game.

Even more so if you go after a player. Looks like EJ Liddell got a lot of over the line shit thrown directly at him on social media. Threats, racial slurs.....Reprehensible

Even more so if you go after a player. Looks like EJ Liddell got a lot of over the line shit thrown directly at him on social media. Threats, racial slurs.....Reprehensible
This kind of shit has to stop. You can be disappointed with the play of a player or team. But there’s no space for threats or racial insults. I hope police find the person or persons responsible.

No Young and playing through a back issue. And he made most all of their late baskets. Idiots! He’s welcome on the Hawks roster.

I play devil's advocate here. That statement was just a built in excuse for losing to a lesser team by the favorite. hahaha

All kidding aside, upsets do happen and you need to bring it this time of year. Whether you are a 1 or a 16, your number can't win the game for you.

That said if you are a 2 going against a 15, play up to your fucking seating if you are a 2 (and the flip side play well above it if you are a 15).

We really need to get out of the first weekend to continue to progress this program in the right direction.

Agree with all points, but again to add, Fran should not even be up for discussion for firing, but Barta's extension length will look almost completely stupid if they don't get out of the first weekend.

To my point...should we lose today, the extension doesn't look all that idiotic.
Altho Barta is an idiot.

Nobody has talked about firing KF because he "only" makes the Outback Bowl a bazillion times. Lots of teams wish they could make a bowl. and, the NCAAs.
You know, probably Seth. That is a fair comparison. Good, but not a great accomplishment.

To my point...should we lose today, the extension doesn't look all that idiotic.
Altho Barta is an idiot.

Nobody has talked about firing KF because he "only" makes the Outback Bowl a bazillion times. Lots of teams wish they could make a bowl. and, the NCAAs.
I agree, but I disagree on the contract. I think a 2 year extension, increased base pay, and increased incentives for future performance would be more than fair with a loss today or on Monday. It helps with recruiting, gives Fran some reward, but also at the same time does not tie the program down as long to him if things start to take a big dive.

As it stands, Fran is not that good. An Elite 8 run or better with his best ever assembled, that changes completely with me and Barta's premature contract in hindsight works.

Again, it could have waited.

I agree, but I disagree on the contract. I think a 2 year extension, increased base pay, and increased incentives for future performance would be more than fair with a loss today or on Monday. It helps with recruiting, gives Fran some reward, but also at the same time does not tie the program down as long to him if things start to take a big dive.

I imagine either side can opt out early for cause.
It would cost Fran almost nothing (other than his reputation) and would most likely cost Iowa a bunch of $$$.

I imagine either side can opt out early for cause.
It would cost Fran almost nothing (other than his reputation) and would most likely cost Iowa a bunch of $$$.
That is possible. And that is the thing, money. Barta is giving out a lot of money here to Fran in terms of years left on his contract (7 years total). That is almost 2 full classes, for as it stands, he has not had a team advance past the first weekend.

And that may change in this tournament. Maybe is even quite likely to change. But, go talk to Ohio St and see what they have to say today.

Hopefully, he has them fired up and ready to go Xs and Os wise.

For the program's sake I do hope they have a long run. If they don't, it only looks more embarrassing with Barta running the Athletic Department.

This kind of shit has to stop. You can be disappointed with the play of a player or team. But there’s no space for threats or racial insults. I hope police find the person or persons responsible.

I'd like to see that fan say that crap to Liddell's face. Or meet him somewhere on campus and try to take him on.

Hope he's taking astronomy because Liddell would show him a good look at the stars and constellations. If he still has his vision.

I'd like to see that fan say that crap to Liddell's face. Or meet him somewhere on campus and try to take him on.

Hope he's taking astronomy because Liddell would show him a good look at the stars and constellations. If he still has his vision.
But Liddell is not stronger than a knife, or a gun, or a group of crazy people. Best these guys get off of social media and not give these nuts the satisfaction looking to get a rise out of them. Let the authorities have at these guys.

This is where Kirk had a great policy (wish they did not give in on this, but that is whole another issue of stuff with the racism). Nothing good to come from social media for these guys, especially after tough losses.

As it stands, Fran is not that good. An Elite 8 run or better with his best ever assembled, that changes completely with me and Barta's premature contract in hindsight works.

Again, it could have waited.
Well said. Has Fran ever been out of the first weekend as a head coach? No B1G titles, No B1G Tournament Conference titles or even BTT final fours. A four year extention and pay raise WTF??? Yep, Barta at work.

Two year extension and a modest pay raise would have been more than fair at this point in Frans career. Now if Brain Dead Barta would have just waited until after the tournament and Fran got to the Elite eight, then give him the four year extention and pay raise.

I am not advocating Fran get fired if Iowa doesn't make a deep run. That being said, a deep run could do so much. I like Fran, for the most part I like his philosophy on basketball. This tournament is setting up pretty nice for him to win 2+ games. If you can't do it now it makes it hard to push back against the naysayers.

Well said. Has Fran ever been out of the first weekend as a head coach? No B1G titles, No B1G Tournament Conference titles or even BTT final fours. A four year extention and pay raise WTF??? Yep, Barta at work.

Two year extension and a modest pay raise would have been more than fair at this point in Frans career. Now if Brain Dead Barta would have just waited until after the tournament and Fran got to the Elite eight, then give him the four year extention and pay raise.
There’s already a thread for this.

HaydenHawk56: "As it stands, Fran is not that good. An Elite 8 run or better with his best ever assembled, that changes completely with me..."

addtext_com_MjAyNjIzMTAxNTk.jpg

upload_2017-12-7_21-54-12-png.2977
At least we now know what Fran must do to get removed from your Hall Of Shame. :) Although personally if his run ended now, I would never look back on his time at Iowa with anything but fondness, especially when compared to your other 2 selections.

Last edited:

Latest posts