The key to the next two games is...

CP87

...reps, reps, and more reps.

I know it is antithetical for the Iowa program, but they should look beyond just winning the games.

They need as many game-speed reps as possible for their young players.

They also need some style points, in particular to impress skill-position recruits who can't be enamored by the offensive output through 2 games.

Lastly, they need to throw a few bones to their current offensive skill position players who are not going to be happy with 1-2 targets a game for the whole season.

I will consider it a failure if Iowa does not attempt at least 20 first-half passes in each game (the only exception being if they pull off a bunch of explosive plays). Likewise, the OL should get 40+ run-blocking opportunities per game. They should use tempo/hurry-up here and there, and they shouldn't take the foot off the gas until 4th quarter.

Has anyone seen Tyrone Tracy ?? 1 or 2 targets a game??? 1 reverse a game?
maybe he has been double teamed ? QB 7 seven talked a lot in the offseason about getting the ball in the hands of the play makers and letting then make yards after the catch,
My thought is we cant ride 84 and 85 all season with out getting our wide outs involved
16, 3 , 89 need targets... And I still put it on the OC... That slant was open all day against isu as was the curl and the 5 yard down an out ...and the wheel route....??????

I don't care about reps. I want no injuries and to put good looks on film to hopefully open up the offense as the Big Ten season gets underway. No way we can keep winning if the opposition is able to double LaPorta and put 8 or 9 in the box every play. Absolutely no way. We'll lose 4 games if that is the case.

The key to the next 2 games is reps like you mentioned but more importantly keep everyone healthy.
I can't really add much to this. This sums it up. Offensively everyone needs more reps to get timing and execution in the passing game. Oline needs to get some confidence going by pushing some others around in the running game. But even if those things don't happen keep our studs healthy

I can't really add much to this. This sums it up. Offensively everyone needs more reps to get timing and execution in the passing game. Oline needs to get some confidence going by pushing some others around in the running game. But even if those things don't happen keep our studs healthy

But the thing is, you can kind of control the type and number of reps (you can play uptempo, you can choose to be aggressive throughout). You can't control whether or not anyone gets injured.

Be aggressive, get a good lead, don't overwork Goodson/LaPorta (the 2 skills guys who have carried the most load thus far), and leave the entire 4th quarter to the 2's.

...reps, reps, and more reps.

I know it is antithetical for the Iowa program, but they should look beyond just winning the games.

They need as many game-speed reps as possible for their young players.

They also need some style points, in particular to impress skill-position recruits who can't be enamored by the offensive output through 2 games.

Lastly, they need to throw a few bones to their current offensive skill position players who are not going to be happy with 1-2 targets a game for the whole season.

I will consider it a failure if Iowa does not attempt at least 20 first-half passes in each game (the only exception being if they pull off a bunch of explosive plays). Likewise, the OL should get 40+ run-blocking opportunities per game. They should use tempo/hurry-up here and there, and they shouldn't take the foot off the gas until 4th quarter.
100% right

Work on the offensive line. Get the rushing game going and then the passing game will open up.
Rest up starters. It's going to be a long season. Get a lead. Work in the backups.
Build up the stats.

I don't care about reps. I want no injuries and to put good looks on film to hopefully open up the offense as the Big Ten season gets underway. No way we can keep winning if the opposition is able to double LaPorta and put 8 or 9 in the box every play. Absolutely no way. We'll lose 4 games if that is the case.
They better not sleep on Charlie the Unicorn.

I hope we win in a way where the score appears close (10-14) but to people watching Iowa dominates physically so it’s never in doubt. We keep getting better quietly.

That way the hype dies a little and we can focus on winning and not on being too 5.

I hope we win in a way where the score appears close (10-14) but to people watching Iowa dominates physically so it’s never in doubt. We keep getting better quietly.

That way the hype dies a little and we can focus on winning and not on being too 5.
If we only beat the Kent State Golden Showers by 10-14 it's not going to be hype dying down a little, that would be us laying a huge egg. The distraction caused by a close game to that team would be bigger than being #5.

I don't like the #5 ranking anymore than anyone else, but the Hawks need to lay a beatdown on both of these teams.

I don't get why some of you don't like Iowa in the limelight, it's HUGE for recruiting. Put them at number friggin 1 for all I care. On the field of play it makes zero difference what the rankings are. These coaches have been through this.

I don't get why some of you don't like Iowa in the limelight, it's HUGE for recruiting. Put them at number friggin 1 for all I care. On the field of play it makes zero difference what the rankings are. These coaches have been through this.

Meh, I'll take Ferentz's word on a guy over some asswipe keyboard commando who is trying to rank 1000 kids a year. The last time we had a great run and got a "good" class the "stars" in it mostly sucked ass and the typical Iowa recruits were stars that led our next run in 2008 and 2009. We're not going to get some difference maker like Trevor Lawrence no matter where we are ranked unless the kid really wants to go to Iowa and with the transfer rules I'd rather have some kid who wants to play for our staff than some star fucker who will bounce the first time we hit a rough patch, which we will. There are programs that are tire fires from coast to coast that have way better recruiting classes than Iowa.

Meh, I'll take Ferentz's word on a guy over some asswipe keyboard commando who is trying to rank 1000 kids a year. The last time we had a great run and got a "good" class the "stars" in it mostly sucked ass and the typical Iowa recruits were stars that led our next run in 2008 and 2009. We're not going to get some difference maker like Trevor Lawrence no matter where we are ranked unless the kid really wants to go to Iowa and with the transfer rules I'd rather have some kid who wants to play for our staff than some star fucker who will bounce the first time we hit a rough patch, which we will. There are programs that are tire fires from coast to coast that have way better recruiting classes than Iowa.

I didn’t mention anything about rankings. A good season being in the limelight helps the coaches get the kids they want.

I didn’t mention anything about rankings. A good season being in the limelight helps the coaches get the kids they want.

I'm with you on that. Coaches need to worry about complacency all the time, adding a high ranking after 2 games isn't going to make that any worse. I see only positives coming from it.

Now if you truly don't think Iowa is a top-10 team and you expect them to crash and burn at some point, then the ranking might be a bit cringy because you know this will be brought up the next time the Hawks are actually good (like people bring up the Rose Bowl whupping at the end of the 2015 season). But I legitimately think this is a top 10 team, so I say bring it on.

Latest posts