The Invisible Problem With Iowa's Offense

IowaLawWasRight

Has anyone noticed how virtually every QB we go up against walks up to the line of scrimmage and still has 20 seconds left on the play clock. That gives him plenty of time to carefully scan the field, spot blitzes, make sure their guys are lined up, and audible when needed.

Then spend a few hours watching tape of Stanley play for the past 3 years. What's the difference? Stanley spends about 25 seconds in the huddle, then walks up to the line of scrimmage with about 6 seconds left on the play clock. He doesn't have time to scan the field, and most of the time he's lucky to get the ball off with 1 second on the play clock. I'm not sure there's a stat for it, but I would be willing to bet money that Stanley ranks in the top 5% in the nation on delay of game penalties. In fact, I don't think anyone else has been called for delay of game against Iowa unless it's on a punt.

Tempo is a big deal in college football. There was a brief time a few years back where Iowa made a concerted effort to increase the tempo, run some no huddle, and seemed to have a lot of success with it. I don't remember if that was pre-Brian or in Brian's first year, but it worked.

Is the problem that the staff sends the plays in too late? Does Stanley take too long in the huddle? Or is it an overall lackadaisical attitude where the guys slowly get back to the huddle and take their time getting to the line? Either way, it's an obvious problem with this team and I'm shocked I have not heard the staff or fans discuss it.

Watch next week and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Has anyone noticed how virtually every QB we go up against walks up to the line of scrimmage and still has 20 seconds left on the play clock. That gives him plenty of time to carefully scan the field, spot blitzes, make sure their guys are lined up, and audible when needed.

Then spend a few hours watching tape of Stanley play for the past 3 years. What's the difference? Stanley spends about 25 seconds in the huddle, then walks up to the line of scrimmage with about 6 seconds left on the play clock. He doesn't have time to scan the field, and most of the time he's lucky to get the ball off with 1 second on the play clock. I'm not sure there's a stat for it, but I would be willing to bet money that Stanley ranks in the top 5% in the nation on delay of game penalties. In fact, I don't think anyone else has been called for delay of game against Iowa unless it's on a punt.

Tempo is a big deal in college football. There was a brief time a few years back where Iowa made a concerted effort to increase the tempo, run some no huddle, and seemed to have a lot of success with it. I don't remember if that was pre-Brian or in Brian's first year, but it worked.

Is the problem that the staff sends the plays in too late? Does Stanley take too long in the huddle? Or is it an overall lackadaisical attitude where the guys slowly get back to the huddle and take their time getting to the line? Either way, it's an obvious problem with this team and I'm shocked I have not heard the staff or fans discuss it.

To whom is this problem invisible? People have been complaining about this bince I joined the former Hawkeye Nation board on the Scout network in 2005.

This has been going on for two decades.

This has been going on for two decades.
Iowa is one of the few if not the last teams that still has a player on the sideline waiting for a play from the OC, runs it in, tells the QB, the offense gets to the line. Waste of approx. 10-15-20 seconds. Most teams today have the large posters of obtuse pictures, sayings, etc. and some sort of code and check with me offense. Not Kirkball.

Please instruct your players to quit chest bumping after a 5 yd gain, spinning the ball and just get up, give the ref the ball, get your ass to the huddle or better yet, to the line of scrimmage ready to run another play.
Now get off my lawn.

It's clock eating.
Like I said I have zero problem with the philosophy or identity of Iowa football.
It's real football. It's what Wisconsin does. Everyone knows they are going to run and nobody can stop it. In the new fangled football, it's about scoring lot's of points fast.
But if you are not going to play scatter gun shoot out football, and you are going to play ball and clock control you have to understand that points are going to be at a premium. Which means you better be able to to put them up when you get the chance.
In a shoot out, you can be down 20 points and come back in far far less time.

Not to mention leads the nation in audibles into runs that lead to 3 yard losses.

Last edited:
As I said in a post in another thread, it seems that the primary objective of the Iowa offense is to optimize time of possession. This is the one stat that we have dominated in every game this year. Taking the game clock down to a second or two is one component of this philosophy.

There's nothing wrong with ball-control offense. If Iowa had a better line this year, Iowa would be undefeated going into Wisconsin averaging about 24 per game. Unfortunately, Iowa does not, and has not had, a running back that can independently make plays without perfect play from his line since 2008, or a QB that could extend plays with his legs to make up for poor o-line pass blocking since 2016, when Beathard was healthy. We've had speedy guys, like Wadley, we've had live arms like Stanley, but we need some independent running ability or this offense goes nowhere.

Iowa has already abandoned the run this year, and while that works between the twenties, you can't rely on it without size at tight end in Iowa's offense when the field gets compressed; especially when you have two seconds to throw the ball because your guards, center, or recovering from injury tackle are whiffing on blocks. Iowa has a guy coming along in Goodson. Toren can get three or four yards with line help. But there's no reason to play honest against Toren, even if he gets past your lb corps, your guys can turn around and catch him before any real damage is done. Sargent is too slow and too small. Goodson needs some physical development yet.

Against top ten defenses like psu, mich, you have to kick field goals (and make them) and punt perfectly with the personnel Iowa has. Iowa hasn't done that, and so they've lost. There's one more team that can abuse Iowa's line left. 9 - 3.

I want to see if next 2 opponents play a tight press on the outside receivers. Mich & PSU had athleticism to do that and reduce game to 9-on-9 in a smaller box. Iowa got a couple of defensive penalties and a couple fades v. each, but not enough to back anyone consistently off.

When this changes or defenses feel threatened - Iowa will continue to see the same schemes.

P

This is purely coaching, this isn’t a player problem.

I have no problem with using 44 of the 45 seconds before hiking the ball, especially if you are ahead on the scoreboard. If you're trailing and its late in the third quarter that is another story. Strategy wise for development programs like Iowa it can keep you in many games. Time of possession is an undervalued stat.

Wait. I thought the offenses ONLY job is to bleed clock, shorten game, punt, and not put the defense in a tough position. Am I missing something here?

Centers calling plays don’t understand this

Yes...IowaLaw, your Inspector Clouseau instincts are right on. The problem is the time between plays, not actually what happens when the offense snaps the ball. Excellent analysis...keep up the good work.

It's a pretty simple reality for Iowa Football. Against two really good defenses...they can't block anyone on the interior of the line...and against Michigan you could throw Jackson into that assessment. Obviously...the turnovers have contributed...but our defense is good enough to mitigate those...we just haven't scored points because our OL is horribly inconsistent.

My guess is that you see Jackson, Kallenberger, Linderbaum, Britt, Wirfs as the starting five.

The longer Iowa takes in the huddle, the better the chance for a delay of game call.

And the better chance Iowa has to steal a 3-0 win.

It isn't that complicated.

Latest posts