Tennessee doesn't accept mediocrity

ICHawk24

They fired Phil Fulmer a year removed from a division title, despite having the second most wins in school history.

Since then, they've won 7, 6, 5, 5, 5, and 6 games.

They just extended their head coach who has won eleven games in two years there. He has five conference wins in two years. Try explaining that to a time traveler from the nineties and their Peyton Manning glory years.

Whether they accept it or not, mediocrity crept in their backdoor and is sitting in their recliner asking for a six-pack. but no more than a six-pack.

They sold out their stadium like once or twice over the past five years. Then they extended their head coach.

They got rid of Fulmer, because Florida kept embarrassing them.
Only after firing Phil did they realize how good Florida really was.

Also, Phil Fulmer has not coached since being fired from Tennessee.
He has said on local radio that he would be interested in coaching again, since leaving.

Looks like they have things headed in the right direction ... they should be able to compete for SEC East title...they've done it before.

Phil Fulmer assembled some of the most talented teams in the recent history of college football. Right up there with Miami as far as ridiculous stockpiles of super talented kids on one team.

I remember Johnny Majors had pretty decent teams 7-9 wins per year...a lot like Iowa.. Then they ran him off and put Fulmer in there and he took it to the next level and kept it there. I was pretty surprised by that.

Besides not winning they have had money problems since. They are good example of making a bad decision to quite a few people up. They have a great history and will set the ship right. But I bet think twice before making a decision like that again

If you're inference is...that we shouldn't too quick to fire Ferentz because we could easily slip into mediocrity... Uh, we're already there.

Besides not winning they have had money problems since. They are good example of making a bad decision to quite a few people up. They have a great history and will set the ship right. But I bet think twice before making a decision like that again

Eggsactly. They did a major stadium revamp, borrowed a ton of money to do it based on past attendance, attendance tanked because their fans ain't gonna pay a fortune for a bad team, and now they are in trouble. If I'm not mistaken, Tee Martin won more national titles than Peyton.

Looking at their schedule, they have wins over three teams that are going to bowl games this year. 6-6 South Carolina, Utah State and Arkansas State.

Somebody has to be in the middle of the pack.... TN is in a rough conference... Hard saying where they'd measure up in the BIG. I'd put them behind OSU MSU and Wisky. After that it's a crap shoot jumbled up mess of teams that can beat each other any given week. TN usually has some really good receivers and rbs. They've just had a patch work Oline and really inconsistent at best qb play.

Don't forget that Lane Kiffen job bed them by leaving two years into the job, which was unfinished. Tennessee is just now beginning to recover from that. Their coach is turning things around. With Florida down and Georgia plateaued, their window of opportunity is opening. That's what you expect out of a new coach that is putting out a fire.

I beg to differ. They just went 6-6 and accepted the TaxSlayer bowl invitation. That would suggest that they are just slightly more mediocre than we are.....

Latest posts