OlRustyBoy

Iowa Free Throw shooting vs
Gonzaga 14/26
Minnesota 27/38
Indiana 16/21
Illinois 3/6
Ohio St 11/17
Total 71/108- 65.7%

Giving away a lot of points from the free throw line. I expected this team to be better from the line as a whole. Early in the season there was an article talking about how this team should shoot 80 from the line.

3 point shooting of opponent (no surprise Iowa lost these games)
88-99 Gonzaga 13/26
95-102 Minnesota 17/43
69-81 Indiana 8/17
75-80 Illinois 8/19
85-89 Ohio St 14/32
Total- 60/137- 43.7%

We all know the defense has struggled in losses but so has the offense. Not a good combo. Bad offense turns in transition going the other way. As we all know Iowa is awful in transition on the defensive end. They have to get the d set to have any chance at a stop.

4 of their worst efg% games came in losses and the other was the 8th worst
1612543431058.png

No surprise all 5 losses the opponent shot lights out
1612543533495.png

Here's my post in another thread. Pretty much validates your stats and points above.

Defense, rebounding and free throws. We've seen it all before. When I mention defense, in particular, it's Iowa's ability to close out on the 3 pt shots. Teams regularly kill Iowa and seem to have their best 3 pt shooting games against Iowa with some obscure player having the game of his life against Iowa, EVERY GAME. This has been going on all the years Fran has coached at Iowa.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Iowa just played a lick of defense better and moved up in the top 60 in defense nationally, they'd be a great team. Hell, even top 80.

Then rebounding. I've never seen so many teams get so many offensive rebounds than when playing Iowa. Every single time down the court teams get 2-3 shot attempts. That's worth 15-20pts right there in a scoring differential. If a team shoots a shitty 30% but gets 20 more shots they are going to make up that percentage in the score. You can see at times some games where Iowa comes out and really giving a rebounding effort like they addressed it in practice, but, then they just slide back to old back habits similar to a youth 4th grade team. REBOUNDING IS A FUNDAMENTAL PART OF THE GAME!! It should be automatic to the players at this point. You know how many times if an Iowa player would have just backed out the opposing player they would have gotten the ball. Now they just hold their position and hope the ball comes to their area to rebound. NOBODY BACKS A PLAYER OUT ANYMORE! GET AN ASS ON A GUY, BACK HIM THE F UP AND GO ATTACK THE DAMN BALL AND GET IT! It's not that damn difficult. STOP GIVING UP POSSESSIONS AND GIVING THEM TO THE OTHER TEAM!

All you have to do in team basketball is play decent defense and rebound. You will be in every game, regardless if your team is not having the best shooting night. Give yourself a chance. It's just simple fundamental basketball and Iowa has lacked that over the years.

You do the above and it would make up for Iowa's recent crappy free throw shooting. That's all I'll say about that.

Rant over. Drop mic!

C'MON FRAN!!

I will also add that when we're on offense, some of our combination of kids on the floor aren't looking to score when they have an open look. I agree w/Melrose, defense, rebounding and free throws. How many teams have we watched where a shooter catches fire? And he continues to shoot until he's stopped. Case in point, OSU's lefty, 3 straight 3's boom, huge difference in the outcome. He's a shooter, looking to score. How can that be stopped? Our perimeter defense isn't great and if we get too close, they blow right by you. No help, no rotation, and no communication. Drives me nuts and when I call it out on here, I get the "Go root for a different team". F that. As much as we hate to admit it, we lack these very things and we are losing close games b/c of it. Yes, I will bitch when we lose, yes I will bitch b/c of not boxing out, or moving your feet, and yes, I will continue to voice my concerns. I get sick and tired of people telling me what to think and how to react. We all want Iowa to be great all the time, but when they aren't and we start complaining about it, don't take it personal for Christ's sake.

I will also add that when we're on offense, some of our combination of kids on the floor aren't looking to score when they have an open look. I agree w/Melrose, defense, rebounding and free throws. How many teams have we watched where a shooter catches fire? And he continues to shoot until he's stopped. Case in point, OSU's lefty, 3 straight 3's boom, huge difference in the outcome. He's a shooter, looking to score. How can that be stopped? Our perimeter defense isn't great and if we get too close, they blow right by you. No help, no rotation, and no communication. Drives me nuts and when I call it out on here, I get the "Go root for a different team". F that. As much as we hate to admit it, we lack these very things and we are losing close games b/c of it. Yes, I will bitch when we lose, yes I will bitch b/c of not boxing out, or moving your feet, and yes, I will continue to voice my concerns. I get sick and tired of people telling me what to think and how to react. We all want Iowa to be great all the time, but when they aren't and we start complaining about it, don't take it personal for Christ's sake.
You mention defense, rebounding and FTs. Not taking care of the last 2 is inexcusable IMO. We would likely have a couple more wins as of now and probably a couple more moving forward...even with our current defense. At least take care of the rebounding and FTs.

You mention defense, rebounding and FTs. Not taking care of the last 2 is inexcusable IMO. We would likely have a couple more wins as of now and probably a couple more moving forward...even with our current defense. At least take care of the rebounding and FTs.
The rebounding thing is frustrating, some times it looks like our guys start moving towards a rebound or loose ball and just quit on it. I don't get that, dive, run, hell slide just try for it. Hard to watch when an Iowa player clearly should have a rebound and the other team just runs in a grabs it from our guys. Some of it is speed, but some is just desire. We need 5 Nunge/Garzas out there fighting for every bound and loose ball. That is controllable.

Iowa ranks #137 of 347 D1 schools, shooting .711% FT's. Colorado is tops at 84%. Michigan is leading the B1G

Rarely is there ever an Iowa defender remotely close to the back side wing or baseline 3 ball. I mean guys are shooting shots they take before practice when nobody is in the gym. They have more defensive pressure in shoot around than we put up in a game. Patrick is the ONLY kid I've seen make anyone think twice on that baseline 3 ball.

Rarely is there ever an Iowa defender remotely close to the back side wing or baseline 3 ball. I mean guys are shooting shots they take before practice when nobody is in the gym. They have more defensive pressure in shoot around than we put up in a game. Patrick is the ONLY kid I've seen make anyone think twice on that baseline 3 ball.
Very frustrating! I often find myself saying, "There goes the game!" Most of the time it's true.

Nice analysis, OP. I don't like the numbers, but they are what they are.

One stat not mentioned by the OP but mentioned in the thread: opponent's offensive rebounding. By nature, Iowa is going to tend to give up an above average rate of offensive rebounds, right? With an transition offense (or, probably better to say "with a team that looks to score a good % of the time in transition"), you're not going to crash the boards as aggressively as some teams might. In fact, I think that is probably THE trade off you are making when you've decided to play the transition game.

Not saying it's good or bad, just saying it's likely a conscientious choice. If you're adept at running the break and your fast break points are significantly > than the other guy's second chance points then, shrug, they grabbed a lot of ORBs.

And one reason for this is that Iowa is defensively challenged most of the time with Fran's squads so the overplay and double way too early and way too much. Wing players will slide toward the lane to stick a hand in and double team even when it is not neccessarily needed. And then the opponent wing guys are wide open.

Another abyssmal loss to a mediocre Indiana team. Well done Fran well done. Oh wait Iowa can't do better.

Nice analysis, OP. I don't like the numbers, but they are what they are.

One stat not mentioned by the OP but mentioned in the thread: opponent's offensive rebounding. By nature, Iowa is going to tend to give up an above average rate of offensive rebounds, right? With an transition offense (or, probably better to say "with a team that looks to score a good % of the time in transition"), you're not going to crash the boards as aggressively as some teams might. In fact, I think that is probably THE trade off you are making when you've decided to play the transition game.

Not saying it's good or bad, just saying it's likely a conscientious choice. If you're adept at running the break and your fast break points are significantly > than the other guy's second chance points then, shrug, they grabbed a lot of ORBs.
prophetic

Indiana is a top 30 team who beat us twice and took Wisconsin and Illinois to overtime. Both of those teams made huge plays down the stretch. If Trice and Frazer brick their late shots, Indiana is probably ranked in the top 15 come Monday.

Indiana wanted to give this game to us and we couldn't take them up on it.

They did not shoot the ball well at all but they did get more attempts at the bucket (13 more) due to the offensive rebounds as has been pointed out. Garza had 2 rebounds for the game? He looked he played 3 games in 6 days.

I noticed one time but didnt look for it again, but maybe someone noticed. On defense do our guards at the top run out and leave 3 to rebound? That is a problem if that is a regular thing and explains why we never get long rebounds.

Indiana is a top 30 team who beat us twice and took Wisconsin and Illinois to overtime. Both of those teams made huge plays down the stretch. If Trice and Frazer brick their late shots, Indiana is probably ranked in the top 15 come Monday.
Indiana, with a win today, is 10-8, 5-6 in conference play

Latest posts