Swig & Swine Classic - Series Thread

ssckelley

I'll try to keep up on these this year. I know there are a few Hawkeye baseball fans on here. Good possibility there will not be any MLB for awhile so I might be focused more on the Hawkeye baseball team. Should be a fun season, in the early NCAA projections Iowa is predicted to be one of the "last four in" and are projected to finish 4th in the Big Ten. They have a top 25 recruiting class that will be playing as freshman this year. Freshman Brody Brecht is considered to be one of the top prospects in the Big Ten.

Iowa starts the season in Charleston, SC playing in the Swig & Swine Classic at the Shipyard Park, which looks like an awesome venue to play in (see pic below).

Friday vs Air Force @ 11:00 AM
Saturday vs Ball State @ 9:00 AM
Sunday vs Bucknell @ 9 AM

You can listen to the games on the Hawkeye Radio Network. It appears you can stream the games live on the HICAST Sports App. You can get a free trial using this link: http://www.hicastsports.com/

GO HAWKS!!!!

sp-22.jpg

Baseball opener starts in a few hours! Baseball season is upon us which means warmer weather. lol
My team gets new unis this year, totally different design and new hats as well. Those showed up at the office yesterday along with 15 dozen baseballs. I'm getting that baseball feeling again.

My team gets new unis this year, totally different design and new hats as well. Those showed up at the office yesterday along with 15 dozen baseballs. I'm getting that baseball feeling again.

Talked to our coach last night, we are doing a spring league with a few surrounding schools. The plan is for my son to be the starting shortstop and he will pitch. I can't WAIT for baseball.

Talked to our coach last night, we are doing a spring league with a few surrounding schools. The plan is for my son to be the starting shortstop and he will pitch. I can't WAIT for baseball.
I'd love to be able to do that. I have 15 guys coming out for baseball in total, and we're a 2A school. 7 of them are freshman and 5 are sophomores.

Everyone around here wants to either work full time in the summer or hang out at Boji. I lost a couple to full time AAU basketball this year which sucks.

I've had four different coaches asking me if I'd add some extra games, I tell them I'd love to but with the pitch count rules what they are, I don't even have enough pitchers for the minimum 20 games I have already. It's crazy. When I was a senior (at this same school) we had 10 seniors out and roughly the same number of juniors. I don't know what it is, been this way at our school for a long time. The 8th grade squad had 4 kids go out last year as seventh graders, and the freshman basketball team who just finished their season had 5 kids. The coach basically had to beg a couple kids to go out just to have enough to play games.

I'm just going to roll with it and we'll have fun with a bunch of underclassmen playing 4 years of varsity I guess. I'm going to treat any win as a pleasant surprise and try to keep guys positive. The freshman squad is my kid's class and most of them are gamers even if they aren't spectacular, so they should be okay and have fun.

Our youth program is absolutely atrocious and the city has no interest in hiring coaches. My opinion is that's most of the problem. Parents who have no idea what they're doing coaching 3rd-6th (God bless them), and by the time they get to middle school they have no clue and they're sick of getting piss pounded every game and they quit.

I'd love to be able to do that. I have 15 guys coming out for baseball in total, and we're a 2A school. 7 of them are freshman and 5 are sophomores.

Everyone around here wants to either work full time in the summer or hang out at Boji. I lost a couple to full time AAU basketball this year which sucks.

I've had four different coaches asking me if I'd add some extra games, I tell them I'd love to but with the pitch count rules what they are, I don't even have enough pitchers for the minimum 20 games I have already. It's crazy. When I was a senior (at this same school) we had 10 seniors out and roughly the same number of juniors. I don't know what it is, been this way at our school for a long time. The 8th grade squad had 4 kids go out last year as seventh graders, and the freshman basketball team who just finished their season had 5 kids. The coach basically had to beg a couple kids to go out just to have enough to play games.

I'm just going to roll with it and we'll have fun with a bunch of underclassmen playing 4 years of varsity I guess. I'm going to treat any win as a pleasant surprise and try to keep guys positive. The freshman squad is my kid's class and most of them are gamers even if they aren't spectacular, so they should be okay and have fun.

Our youth program is absolutely atrocious and the city has no interest in hiring coaches. My opinion is that's most of the problem. Parents who have no idea what they're doing coaching 3rd-6th (God bless them), and by the time they get to middle school they have no clue and they're sick of getting piss pounded every game and they quit.

We are a class 1A school (Wapsie Valley) and being a rural school you are either hanging out at the pool, working, or playing baseball as there are not much else to do. We were able to keep a good deal of kids out for baseball with our summer youth programs and most of them have stayed out for baseball when they reach high school.

We graduated 8 players off last years team but if all the kids go out from last year we will have 17 not including the 8th graders that will be freshman in the fall. The 8th grade team had 13 kids out last year so we do have another big group coming up. We only have 2 seniors this year and 1 of them doesn't play very much.

Iowa is up 3-0 going into the 3rd inning against Ball State. The bottom of the Hawkeye order is producing.

Hawkeyes just scored! They have the bases loaded in the T4. The bottom of the lineup has been coming through for the Hawkeyes so far this season.

YES! They finally broke through for a couple more runs in the T6. Iowa is now up 3-0. They are struggling to get hits with RISP. These 2 runs were manufactured after Iowa got the first 2 runners on.

Looks like I'm becoming the Clinton of Hawkeye baseball. lol

YES! They finally broke through for a couple more runs in the T6. Iowa is now up 3-0. They are struggling to get hits with RISP. These 2 runs were manufactured after Iowa got the first 2 runners on.

Looks like I'm becoming the Clinton of Hawkeye baseball. lol
No, you would have to complain about the umpires screwing over the Hawk batters!!!!!!

Iowa wins 3-0!!!

2cxw4k.jpg

Sucks that was in Charleston. Last year there were a bunch of Big Ten teams in Greenville and this year it looks like only Sparty is doing a return trip. I would have loved to take my boy to see the Hawks.

Latest posts