Strength and conditioning of Iowa Basketball

Thawki

Do you guys think that TL didn't realize the importance of strength and conditioning at the Big Ten level when he got here. I kind of think that, but would be interested in getting other opinions. How else do you explain the fact that we were so weak, and now, once we have concentrated on it, have put on so much muscle (allegedly, I say this because I don't know first hand, not because I doubt it). We heard half way through last season about how these guys needed to put on weight/muscle. We were hearing it about the guys that were half way through their second year. It sounded to me like they hadn't been trying to do that and they all of the sudden were realizing they should have been.

Anyway, any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My understanding is that there wasn't a dedicated S&C coach when Lickliter got here. He hinted towards this early on. Then they hired Rusty, so they have more of a dedicated person for the S&C for the team. Before Rusty came, they had a shared S&C coach among many more sports.

I don't think it's a new focus, I just don't think it was there when he came in.

The interesting thing here, is that I don't ever recall strength and conditioning being a major problem under Alford. I would say it was a major problem in TL's first two years. Does anyone else agree with those observations?

TL publicly identified in year 1 how important it was for Iowa to get stronger. I think it has always been his priority and a point of emphasis since he has been here. This will be the first year we are really going to start seeing the benefits from it.

Well, IATrainMaster101...

...did he publicly identify it a year ago because that is when he figured it out, or is it because it was so obvious to everyone by then? The lack of strength in the program at that time leads me to think he didn't realize the importance it should have held when he first arrived.

I don't know, but it just seems like we wouldn't have been in that situation if the proper emphasis had been placed on it from day one that he got here. Again, I don't recall it being a problem under Alford. And the guys that had the strength issues were all new to campus with TL.

Is this a little bit of a difference that you have when you go from Butler to the Big Ten? I don't know, but I am asking.

My take? Guys like Adam Haluska,Tyler Smith, and Tony Freeman were higher rated recruits and pretty strong from day one. Looby and Gorney were body types that did not add much muscle but they were not weak. Cole was strong from day one.

I just think you have to look at the recruits that Lick has brought in..undersized guys like Fuller, skinny guy like Tucker, weaker guy like Brommer,....their is reasons these guys were not top 150 players out of high school and natural strength and size are among those reasons. The top 100 guys are more ready to contribute...talent,size,strength is why they are ranked so high.

So, I do not think it was the case where lick did not know our weaknesses, just that the types of recruits he has been able to land need more finishing than the Brunners,Horners,Smiths,Doug Thomas's ect.